The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-30-2014, 10:35 PM

Default Cannot hear guitar parts :(

I know this will probably sound stupid to y'all. My problem is when I am listening intently to music especially rock and metal I can always hear the riffs and lead guitar parts clearly but when the singer begins singing I am unable to hear what the rhythm guitarist is playing? can someone help? oh and I do not have any issues with my ears. I listen to music through a good set of headphone through my computer with VLC mediaplayer.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:05 PM

You could get a program like Capo or Riffstation (I'm on a Mac) that allow you to isolate things better. It's not perfect, but really does assist with this.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:42 AM

The problem is usually down to the compression used in production. The more the whole sound is flattened out, the more loud and powerful it sounds (even at low volumes) - which is ideal for heavy rock and metal - but the more the vocals and instruments can blend into a mush. (And distortion contributes to that too, of course.)

Transcribe software will help with stereo tracks, in that it has an out-of-phase option which removes anything panned dead centre - and that's normally vocals. (Capo may do the same, not sure.)

Transcribe and Capo are probably the best programs for learning music,, and will slowdown as much as you need, and enable all kinds of other manipulation of the track to help you listen. (Transcribe even works with video.)
There are EQ patches too, eg, to remove bass, or isolate various frequency bands - but I've not found those much use in isolating instruments, because guitar and vocal (at least) tend to occupy the same frequency bands.
http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html
Old 07-31-2014, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse777 View Post
I know this will probably sound stupid to y'all. My problem is when I am listening intently to music especially rock and metal I can always hear the riffs and lead guitar parts clearly but when the singer begins singing I am unable to hear what the rhythm guitarist is playing? can someone help? oh and I do not have any issues with my ears. I listen to music through a good set of headphone through my computer with VLC mediaplayer.

It helps a lot if you can find that artist performing the song stripped down, preferably acoustically. We had a thread on that here just recently...

Honesty, with a lot of rock and roll, I've found that if I can't hear the rhythm guitarist, and only can focus on the vocals and lead - that song may not sound all that good without them. Some rock songs you'd look like an idiot just trying to play the chords of, others lend themselves to it quite well.
MIJ Vintage Squier
Hofner Ignition Series Bass
Takamine G-Series Acoustic Guitar
Fender CD160 Twelve String
Fender CD220 Acoustic Guitar
Old 07-31-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
The problem is usually down to the compression used in production. The more the whole sound is flattened out, the more loud and powerful it sounds (even at low volumes) - which is ideal for heavy rock and metal - but the more the vocals and instruments can blend into a mush. (And distortion contributes to that too, of course.)

Transcribe software will help with stereo tracks, in that it has an out-of-phase option which removes anything panned dead centre - and that's normally vocals. (Capo may do the same, not sure.)

Transcribe and Capo are probably the best programs for learning music,, and will slowdown as much as you need, and enable all kinds of other manipulation of the track to help you listen. (Transcribe even works with video.)
There are EQ patches too, eg, to remove bass, or isolate various frequency bands - but I've not found those much use in isolating instruments, because guitar and vocal (at least) tend to occupy the same frequency bands.
http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html
Yes. Actually if I listen to little cleaner stuff like the blues everything is much clearer even though the production i far from great. Also if I am right Albert king played through an SS amp most of the time but still my ear picks up everything he does with the instrument. I don't seem to enjoy distortion all of a sudden now Also, why does any musician want a singer in a band? Why can't they just play like Jeff Beck?
Old 07-31-2014, 04:25 PM

Try what vocalists do, close one ear. It might improve hearing different parts.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse777 View Post
Hi ih-777...

There are many recordings where it is impossible to hear the rhythm guitar parts because the person who did the initial mix-down treated them as a background color to paint with, gave precedence to other instruments (drums, vocals, and sometimes keyboards), and buried the rhythm guitar somewhere in the 'mix'.

It happens when you play acoustic guitar in live band/ensemble situations too.

It's one of the reasons I use a stage amp, and it's a reason I developed a backing style of play where I'm looking for holes to play in so I am heard and not just putting-in-my-time beating up chords.

Someone already mentioned looking for simpler versions, and/or live versions, of the songs. I find YouTube helpful for that. When major artists go on local radio/TV morning shows and someone posts that to YouTube - it's the best!

Hope you find ways of digging out those parts.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-31-2014, 11:10 PM

Hey All,

It is actually often really hard to hear the rhythm player. This last saturday I was at a bluegrass festival that actually had more than just bluegrass. Anyway one group had what I know is a standard series D18 or D28 and good luck hearing it as the mando or banjo just dominate.

Then a group came up and the guitar was a Tony Rice and that guitar simply "cut" (rhythm or lead) with volume so well you could make no mistake about it and the player was seriously good.

Same sound guy in both cases.

The guitar matters - alot - as does the sound mix.

In my case I am learning how to play lots of songs (don't assume I can yet but I know what to do) an my teacher is so good at picking out what leads and rhythms are being played that he uses both to understand the song and can then tell you what the rhythm chords are. He will hear the notes in a lead line and deduce the chords (sometimes a little experimenting) underneath it and the changes (sometimes the opposite). Simply blows me away as he is right when I listen to it.

Point is a good teacher can figure out the rhythm chords for you - if you want to know.

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write