The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-12-2023, 09:21 AM

Default TJ Thompson $$$$$

Does anyone else have some recent TJ Thompson prices? I'm assuming transactions are going on but not public because TJ has no trouble selling his magnificent guitars.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:10 PM

The couple recently listed on dream guitars should give you an idea of the market.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bords View Post
The couple recently listed on dream guitars should give you an idea of the market.
Those are prices for secondhand guitars. I think Arthowe was looking for prices for a new guitar, if one could get one. From this thread in 2012, his prices ranged from $22k to $35k, so one would expect his prices to be higher today. As high as the prices on Dream Guitars? I tend to doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
The last time I spoke with TJ regarding his guitars this past year, I seem to remember him saying that it was $22k for an 18, 25k for a 28, 28k for a 42, 33k for a 45 & 35k for a 45 deluxe. The prices for the 28's, 42's & 45's include Brazilian RW, and the 18 is obviously mahogany. If you're lucky enough to find a used one, they will command the same prices but you forego the waiting list. I've never played a bad guitar built by TJ, or even a merely good one... they are all exceptional. His wait is a minimum of 5 years and could be more depending on his repair & restoration work load, which tends to come first in his shop. I will be seeing him tomorrow, and if these prices are different than I stated above I will update them. You should also know he requires a 25% deposit at the time of order. I have an 1998 OM-42 built by TJ that is absolutely fantastic and is the closest thing I've played to my 1930 OM-28.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:16 PM

TJ is not taking any orders from anyone, AFAIK. I’ve asked a few times past 5 years. If you are a friend of him I am sure he will put you on the waiting list. But otherwise you can only get it in the secondary market.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Hmmm

That’s a Recording King level burst to my eyes. Maybe it looks better in person. I’ve owned a Henderson. Wayne is the real deal. TJ charges a lot bc he values his time appropriately. I’d like to play a Dudenbostel. B&H is on par with Wayne.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:03 PM

I stepped away, not from playing, but from obsessing over higher end guitars about 4 years ago. I was surprised when I checked dream guitars recently just to see what they had. There were so many names that I didn’t recognize and the prices seem to start around $10 Grand. That’s a price I won’t be able to afford until retirement but the good news is that I’ve discovered that stumbling onto a hidden gem has its own rewards. A few years ago I saw a local Craigslist add for a guitar made by Walter Bouchard. I played the guitar at the owners house, it had dead strings and needed a setup but I took a chance since he only wanted $600 for it. That day I took home a solid Sitka/Solid EIR handmade guitar that could easily be an only guitar if that’s all I could afford. I later took a chance on a GC used 000 guitar listed as being made by John Blevins (it’s actually Blivens I’d later find out). There is no label inside but it is all solid (most likely cedar over Cocobolo). I paid around $800 for that one and have never regretted it. I recently saw a Blivens OM (cedar/EIR) listed on reverb. It had the same unmistakable slotted headstock with moon and star inlays. I got that one for $600. It was the builders 257th Guitar made earlier this year. I get so much enjoyment out of these “secret finds” and the price is the cherry on top. So after all that I guess my point is that if you want a handmade guitar, but are worried about the cost of entry, there are some great gems out there if you are willing to take a chance
Old 08-13-2023, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegator81 View Post
I stepped away, not from playing, but from obsessing over higher end guitars about 4 years ago. I was surprised when I checked dream guitars recently just to see what they had. There were so many names that I didn’t recognize and the prices seem to start around $10 Grand. That’s a price I won’t be able to afford until retirement but the good news is that I’ve discovered that stumbling onto a hidden gem has its own rewards. A few years ago I saw a local Craigslist add for a guitar made by Walter Bouchard. I played the guitar at the owners house, it had dead strings and needed a setup but I took a chance since he only wanted $600 for it. That day I took home a solid Sitka/Solid EIR handmade guitar that could easily be an only guitar if that’s all I could afford. I later took a chance on a GC used 000 guitar listed as being made by John Blevins (it’s actually Blivens I’d later find out). There is no label inside but it is all solid (most likely cedar over Cocobolo). I paid around $800 for that one and have never regretted it. I recently saw a Blivens OM (cedar/EIR) listed on reverb. It had the same unmistakable slotted headstock with moon and star inlays. I got that one for $600. It was the builders 257th Guitar made earlier this year. I get so much enjoyment out of these “secret finds” and the price is the cherry on top. So after all that I guess my point is that if you want a handmade guitar, but are worried about the cost of entry, there are some great gems out there if you are willing to take a chance

This^^^times 100!!!

At one point, back in time, ALL the "Big $$$$$$ Names" of today were just "no $$ names" of yesterday starting out in the early world of "handmade guitars" as they called them back in the late 60's/early 70's, just trying to find an audience, a market for their guitars, just like the up and coming luthiers of today, hoping someone will take a chance on a guitar whose name the potential buyer had never heard of, but with a lot of passion, skill, and more than a little luck, will end up being one of the next big names of the future.

It's up to us, as players, as much or more than it is the new luthiers, to take that chance, look past the name, and listen to the musical heart beating in that unbeknownst to us wooden chest...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 08-14-2023, 03:05 PM

This is a resale of a guitar made a decade ago. TJ is not making anything from the price inflation on this instrument. Not an additional penny. I do not know what he charged when this one was made, but I'm pretty sure that number is nowhere near the amount in this listing. TJ is usually described as "the" Martin guy for repairs, and "the" ultimate maker for those wanting a current instrument made like vintage Martins, but better. Most communities identify their stars and achievers, and in the acoustic world, TJ is usually said to be the best at what he does. On top of that, he builds few guitars. So if you want one of these, you're simply going to pay the market price, not the builder's fee. Frankly, I hope TJ is charging massively for any new builds he makes, simply because they're going to get flipped and sold for a bundle, and I'd rather see the money go to a great maker and not sellers and dealers. All this being said, I'd be surprised if it went for that price, though when a rich guy decides to get something, spending the money is not like most of us spending the money. Sadly, IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop