The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-03-2003, 05:56 PM

Question Finale Guitar & Sibelius G7

Has any TGFer tried either of these two new software applications?

They're slimmed down versions of much more comprehensive - and expensive - music notation programs, and are being pitched to guitarists. Since I primarily use a Mac, I'm boxed out of most of the shareware or freeware guitar tab apps, but these two are Mac-friendly...

If anyone's started kicking the tires yet, could you share a review?

Thanks,
bucharu
Old 05-04-2003, 04:56 AM

I've tried both. Supposedly the Sibelius G7 is easier but I think the demo version has some bugs in it cause I can't seem to input anything into it correctly. Because of this, I can't really give a good evaluation. It's more graphically pretty than Finale. I thought the graphical fretboard notation would be easy but I found it to be very slow to work with and it was much faster just to enter the notes in on the tab staff. It seems you can get to a selection or menu faster with G7 than with Finale. Finale also looks like it's also a bit more comprehensive (which probably means a bigger learning curve) but since I don't understand 80% of it, I'm not sure if it means anything.

I've been working with Finale for a few weeks now. I just finished tabbing out "Stars & Stripes, Forever" on Finale 2003 and it wasn't quite as easy as I hoped. Then again, it was my first try at tabbing out the stuff I play and I was learning how to use the program as well. I think I might get a MIDI pickup to make things much easier.

That's my two cents.

GL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell