The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-27-2023, 02:41 PM

I run a Tonedexter to the board too.

I have an EQ inline was well but that's mostly to help compensate some the various room effects based on where I'm working.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-27-2023, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

I run my acoustics into my line6 digital modeling electric guitar amp.

I use my amp as my own personal stage monitor and no one hears it but me.

In the amp, I EQ and add compression, some chorus and reverb. As well I model the amp tone to get it "just right".

I output from the amp to an XLR output and drive that directly into my XR18 mixer.

So, essentially, I use my guitar amp as a DI box and effects pedal(s).

I use a wireless guitar system (which I absolutely LOVE - I will never go back to cords). I tested out running the wireless directly in and it did work and it was passable so could be used in a pinch but it wasn't optimal (tonewise it sounded kinda lifeless)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-27-2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford Guitar View Post
I would run it through my J48 but the ZED -10FX has a line input designed for hi-impedence guitar input
Similarly, my Carvin AG300 has a HI Z select on the two main channels. I plug straight in with my passive piezoelectric SBT's. I can use my Redeye but it isn't needed when using a high impedance input.

IMO simple is better. Every component and cable added to the signal chain can add noise, complexity and adds a new potential failure mode.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:42 PM

I see guitar players using hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of effects peddles, trying to get that "best sound".

There are very few people that notice how great your guitar sounds.
All they hear is music.

We can get too caught up in the world of effects and spend a lot of money going down that rabbit hole.

Keep it clean and simple is my way to go.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I see guitar players using hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of effects peddles, trying to get that "best sound".

There are very few people that notice how great your guitar sounds.
All they hear is music.

We can get too caught up in the world of effects and spend a lot of money going down that rabbit hole.

Keep it clean and simple is my way to go.
So true. Get yourself a used Bose T1 mixer. Tons of high quality presets to get you going plus, reverbs, multiple 2nd fx’s options, compression, gates and a good tuner. You can also save scenes for multiple set ups. Can be used as an interface for recording on your computer as well. Yes all of that plus three extra channels for about $ 400 used.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 11-28-2023, 05:00 PM

I buy guitars that sound excellent plugged in directly to the mixer. I have an LR Baggs Voiceprint DI which makes the sound even better (more natural).
Old 11-28-2023, 05:06 PM

It seems like we’re interpreting the OP in a variety of different ways.

If you want to go J/J straight into a good mixer that’s fine but a good DI is usually a safer option, particularly for longer distances.

Sack the Fly if you don’t like the sound of it.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:40 PM

[QUOTE=Medford Guitar;736. Anyone else run straight to a good mixer?[/QUOTE]

The question above is about running straight into a good mixer?

Old 11-28-2023, 07:42 PM

[QUOTE=Medford Guitar;736. Anyone else run straight to a good mixer?[/QUOTE]

The question above is about running straight into a good mixer? I would doubt most of us need a direct box with a mixer on stage?

Old 11-28-2023, 07:46 PM

Ideally you can put this on your mic stand. So simple.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
The question above is about running straight into a good mixer? I would doubt most of us need a direct box with a mixer on stage?
IF you're plugging a passive piezo UST or SBT straight into a mixer with an input set up for the high impedance (HI Z) of a piezoelectric pickup, the statement above is accurate.

IF you're plugging a passive piezo UST or SBT with an on-board active preamp straight into a mixer you'll be fine too.

IF you're plugging a passive low impedance pickup (like a magnetic soundhole pickup or an internal mic) straight into a mixer you'll be fine too.

IF you're plugging a passive piezo UST or SBT straight into a mixer without a HI Z input or some kind of preamp/DI, the impedances of the pickup and the mixer aren't matched and you'll spend more time trying to eliminate the undesirable tinny/quacky sound that can result.

I've found that adding a good preamp/DI where it's unnecessary never hurts my sound, but leaving it out when it's needed does.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford Guitar View Post
I perform in an acoustic group with three female singers. I'm their accompanist. I'm actually enjoying it greatly but it's a challenge for me.
Currently, I'm using a lower priced guild, Acoustic Fly Rig, Ditto 2 looper straight to our Allen & Heath ZED 10-FX mixer. I've used larger AH mixers in the past and have always been impressed with their channel strip EQs.
Tonight I ran my guitar just through the looper, straight to the AH, using the channel EQ and built in delay and reverb. The wife thought it sounded really good and clean. I did as well.

Anyone else run straight to a good mixer?
OK so since it sounds "cleaner" than when you go through the Fly Rig ?

I don't know anything about the Fly Rig BUT

That is certainly possible given that compression (especially too much) can also highlight any type of distortion that may be coming from the sound of the guitar (which will to contribute to the sound being muddy or not clear) AND time domain effects like delay, chorus, and reverb, all of which which introduce signal doubling and or reflections and or tails etc. and can indeed cloud/muddy the sound a bit, especially when run in series and or overdone.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-29-2023 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:20 AM

My instruments all have passive pickups, so they all like a preamp before the mixer or PA.

You're right, it's fine to skip the preamp, so if I'm say, at an open mic, I'll go straight into the PA and save everyone some time and trouble. But for a gig, I like having a preamp to give the mixer a stronger, clearer signal to work with.

After having a few, trying a few, hearing a few, and reading about a few, I've come to love and rely on my Fire-Eye Red-Eye.

It's engineered to sound good out of the box. Just one switch (boost) and two knobs (boost volume and treble) means I spend less time adjusting and more time playing.

Having said all that, though, I think I'll follow your lead and fool around with going straight into my ZEDi. If it works, cool-a-roo!
Old 11-29-2023, 11:18 AM

I took the OP as meaning guitar straight to the mixer with nothing in between. A lot of you are mentioning the Tonedexter or another pedal being in the chain. I don't feel that's the same thing as you now have a preamp between the guitar and mixer. I get that it's pretty much a requirement with passive pickups, it would just be neat to see if anyone goes guitar to mixer and is happy with the results.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I took the OP as meaning guitar straight to the mixer with nothing in between. A lot of you are mentioning the Tonedexter or another pedal being in the chain. I don't feel that's the same thing as you now have a preamp between the guitar and mixer. I get that it's pretty much a requirement with passive pickups, it would just be neat to see if anyone goes guitar to mixer and is happy with the results.
Yes more or less, in post #15 the OP states -- guitar > looper > mixer so correct no pre in the chain other than the one in the mixer . But then he also states he is not happy with the sound from the Fly which I assume is why people are mentioning Tone Dexter et. al. as alternatives to the Fly

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification