The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-13-2015, 08:52 PM

Default recommendation for violin/fiddle?

My 5 year old son has shown some interest in wanting to learn to play the violin/fiddle. I'm hoping for a recommendation or two for a good beginner instrument. Probably looking at 1/2 size for him as he's pretty tall for his age but I will measure his reach before purchasing. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-13-2015, 11:20 PM

If you click on my name and search my posts, I have given this same basic information on beginning violin numerous times, and pretty much all of it applies doubly to small children.

First, rent, do not buy. There is literally no legitimate reason to buy a beginner child a violin. Even if you are rich, I still recommend renting for at least a year.

Most reputable string shops will rent a fractional sized violin plus accessories (bow, case, etc) for around $30 a month. They usually allow the customer to switch out sizes free or nearly free (maybe they charge a $20 restocking fee). This will be useful as the child will likely go through more than 1 fractional before settling into a full sized instrument.

A reputable string shop will also apply most, if not all of your rental money towards the purchase of a finer quality instrument. This means that for $30 or so a month you can have a 1/2 size, then move up to a 3/4 or 4/4, and all or most of your rental fees each month can be applied to the purchase of an instrument down the road.

Renting is a good idea in case the child (or grown up for that matter) doesn't stick with it. If violin lessons go by the wayside after 3-6 months, you are out very little. The resale of fractional instruments is quite poor, so if you think you will be able to re-sell the purchased instrument should the child not take to violin, you will be sorely disappointed with the resale value. If you get 50% of your purchase price back it would be a minor miracle. 25% is probably more realistic.

There are reasons to rent beyond the obvious financial. Lets face it, kids are hard on instruments. Most monthly fees factor in "insurance" against damage. In many cases, if the child damages a rental, not only are you not out for repair/replacement, the shop will likely give you a new instrument to keep you under contract. Be sure to ask, as this perk varies from shop to shop.

Finally, I think the best reason to rent from a reputable string shop is setup. A good string shop will give you a well setup instrument that will be easy for a child to play. The $50 violin shaped objects (VSO) sold on ebay seem like a bargain, but the tuning pegs slip or stick, the fine tuners fall off in your hands, the tailpiece is held on with a rubber band, the fingerboard is uneven and the bridge is carved and positioned poorly. And the strings are terrible.

A good string shop might get the exact same violin from a factory, but they will refit the tuning pegs, add a properly carved bridge, fit the tailpiece and chin rest, plane the fingerboard and fit it with quality strings.

Of course, all of this service does come at a price, but I think it is well worth it, particularly for a child.

This usually where I explain that a stringed instrument shop is a shop that specializes in violins, violas, cellos and maybe bass. It is NOT a guitar store with a single, lonely violin on the wall, and it is also NOT a store that specializes in selling middle school band instruments.

I have rented 2 instruments and bought 2 more from JR Judd in Pennsylvania. NFI, but they have always treated me well, and I have never even set foot in the shop; in fact I live about 600 miles away.

https://www.jrjuddviolins.com/
Old 12-14-2015, 08:46 AM

We're happy with our experiences with Shar. www.sharmusic.com. They do rentals and sales, have clear and reasonable trade-in terms, and are very helpful.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:21 PM

I would worry less about getting a good instrument in the beginning than finding a good teacher. You don't even need to have a violin at first. Shar is nice, but once you plug into the local orchestra seen you might be able to get a good used 1/2 or 1/4 for a decent price from another student who is moving up or even as a 'free' loaner until your kid decides if they want to stick with it. Again success (however you measure it) mostly depends on the student/teacher relationship.

Last edited by mot; 01-04-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:45 AM

While finding a proper teacher is undoubtedly important, I think it is irresponsible to offer advice based on hypothetical situations. It is indeed possible that the OP could find a used fractional for a good price. Actually, it is more than possible. I think there are a couple of fractional violins in my local Craigslist.

But this doesn't solve the setup problem. Unless the OP knows something about violins, he/she won't be able to judge the quality and the setup of the used instrument. If the OP can do that, then he/she doesn't need any of my advice.

Again, it is the subtle details that make all of the difference. The subtle shape and curve of the bridge is the difference between playing double stops effortlessly and struggling on them for months because the bridge is cut for an advanced classical violinist rather than a beginner or fiddler.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:52 PM

Do you have a teacher for him? If not, I'd find a teacher first and get the teacher's guidance on renting or purchasing. He or she may know of somewhere local that's good (or might have slightly older/larger students looking to get rid of their fractional instruments as they grow).

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2016, 12:14 AM

Definitely find a teacher first. Violin is a tough instrument to learn in the first place, and it would be much simpler to have someone who can fit your son for the proper size and teach proper technique. And as mentioned before, teachers who are plugged into the local scene may have knowledge and access to fractional instruments as they become available. I see fractionals pop up on Craigslist all the time. I think I paid $120 new for my daughter's 1/8th sized, a Saga violin, and it was decently set up.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 02-23-2016, 01:13 PM

As others have said, teacher first. He/she will direct you. We do Shar for my daughter and they have been great so far. Do not buy until your child is up to a 4/4 size.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments