The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filsk1t View Post
I bought this guitar from ebay.
Dang it, I saw it but gave it no respect...oh well, next time I will know better.

-------------------------
Alvarez Yairi DY 57 1978
Yamaha FG-110
Yamaha FG-160
Yamaha FG-180
Yamaha FG-800
Fender partscaster
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Five old dead basses awaiting resuscitation
Old 05-30-2014, 11:45 AM

I found a Jester CL 030 on the street today. The bridge popped off and someone just left it out for the garbage. It came off really cleanly though, and I just happen to be a guitar repair enthusiast, should be an easy repair job. I'd never heard of Jester before reading it here, it's a great story. Besides the bridge though the guitar is in pretty good shape. Neck is solid, absolutely no warping and everything on the inside still really tight. I'm super excited to get it up and running, hope it sounds great. I have no idea though if it's Romanian or Dutch made. I do however live only about 100 km from Holland so I'm thinking dutch, but I have no idea.

Here's a link to a photo https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...66988873_n.jpg

Last edited by Badben; 06-03-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:51 AM

I would love to find a Jester guitar...if anyone has one they'd care to part with, please contact me.

Here is what I know:

My wife's uncle was Jay Wenborg, the "Jay" in "Jay Associates". Mr. Wenborg was the Sales Manager for Martin Guitars in the late 1970's. A man named Bob Johnson was, at the time, Vice President of Martin, and designed the D-35. Another man, John Pearse (of John Pearse string fame) was affiliated with Martin's accessory line.

From what I'm able to put together, these three gentlemen left Martin to form Jay Associates, later Mr. Pearse left full time work with them to work with them in what appears to be a consulting arrangement as he branched out into his own line of products. The guitars were made in Holland and in Romania. The Holland guitars were heavier and had mahogany sides and back and a spruce top, the Romanian guitars were spruce.

Some sort of major problem with the Romanian supplier brought the company down. I haven't had the opportunity to find out from my wife's aunt exactly what the situation was, but I certainly will when the opportunity arises.

Because of the family connection, I would like to find one of these guitars to not only play (I'm a Taylor guy, myself) but have as a family heirloom to hand down thru generations.

Jay Wenborg was originally from Minnesota, they relocated to PA when he took the job at Martin. He passed away around the same time that John Pearse did, a couple years back.

Mike Kohn
Neshkoro, WI
Old 07-30-2015, 04:55 PM

Default Jay and associates guitar

I have one of these guitars that I wouldn't mind parting with! It doesn't have a brand stamp inside but the stamp inside says "made in holland for jay and associates" it is in decently good condition with a few small dings and a small crack.. Still plays great!
Old 07-30-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibean21 View Post
I have one of these guitars that I wouldn't mind parting with! It doesn't have a brand stamp inside but the stamp inside says "made in holland for jay and associates" it is in decently good condition with a few small dings and a small crack.. Still plays great!
Pictures and location would be helpful!

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 08-05-2015, 06:51 PM

My grand-daughter has one of these that was made in Romania. Note the Pearse armrest

Old 09-08-2015, 11:35 AM

http://postimg.org/image/5qi4b4d9b/

I have one of these in Louisville KY. I bought it because it looks just like a Martin. I'll be open to sell this.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:56 AM

Default Jester Guitars

Hi just bought a Jester W 160 from a guy in Holland on ebay. I will put pics up when arrives. any info I get from him or any more info you guya have would be appreciated
Old 02-18-2016, 03:39 PM

My wife's aunt, widow of Mr. Jay Wenborg, is getting up in years and isn't in the best health. Those of you with Jester guitars that you'd consider selling, please contact me with pics, info and price at mikaymusic at gmail dot com.

I would like to pick one up before the family reunion being held in June 2016...it would be fun to play it there and have a little campfire fun with one of "Uncle Jay's Guitars".
Old 05-23-2016, 09:32 PM

Default Jester Classical

Hi all,
Just picked a Jester Classical Nylon String JSC-26 Romanian made.
Neck is really good and has slight seam separation on the back but sounds and plays well.Paid $40,Was it a Deal or no Deal?
Thanx
Old 02-23-2019, 12:27 PM

I have one of these guitars since 1984:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUeF...re=em-comments
Old 06-08-2020, 09:36 PM

Default ISO Jester Guitar

Giving this a bump. I would really like to find one of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikay View Post
I would love to find a Jester guitar...if anyone has one they'd care to part with, please contact me.

Here is what I know:

My wife's uncle was Jay Wenborg, the "Jay" in "Jay Associates". Mr. Wenborg was the Sales Manager for Martin Guitars in the late 1970's. A man named Bob Johnson was, at the time, Vice President of Martin, and designed the D-35. Another man, John Pearse (of John Pearse string fame) was affiliated with Martin's accessory line.

From what I'm able to put together, these three gentlemen left Martin to form Jay Associates, later Mr. Pearse left full time work with them to work with them in what appears to be a consulting arrangement as he branched out into his own line of products. The guitars were made in Holland and in Romania. The Holland guitars were heavier and had mahogany sides and back and a spruce top, the Romanian guitars were spruce.

Some sort of major problem with the Romanian supplier brought the company down. I haven't had the opportunity to find out from my wife's aunt exactly what the situation was, but I certainly will when the opportunity arises.

Because of the family connection, I would like to find one of these guitars to not only play (I'm a Taylor guy, myself) but have as a family heirloom to hand down thru generations.

Jay Wenborg was originally from Minnesota, they relocated to PA when he took the job at Martin. He passed away around the same time that John Pearse did, a couple years back.

Mike Kohn
Neshkoro, WI
Old 07-22-2022, 08:21 PM

Default Jester Guitars - Hanging On By A Thread

I have owned 5 Jester guitars and they are very interesting to play and to learn about. There isn’t much history to read but the guitars themselves offer some clues when considered with a few historical knowns.

1970-1979 CF Martin contracted with Egmond to build Vega guitars in Holland. These were very nice guitars that were all solid construction. The biggest weakness (literally) was the doweled neck joint. These guitars have unique, high quality tuning machines that were made in W. Germany.

1979 Martin sold the Vega brand.
1979 Jay Associates incorporated and soon began producing Jester guitars that were made in Holland. These guitars have the same W. Germany tuning machines that were used on the CF Martin Vega guitars. The two brands appear identical in design, woods used, and finishes.

I have a Jester J.M.G.65 dreadnought made in Holland. It has a solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, and W. Germany tuning machines. I don’t know if it has a doweled neck joint but the joint looks original and the heel shows no signs of movement. It’s in near pristine condition and plays very well.

I have Jester JSG-26 12-fret folk guitar made in Romania. It has a solid spruce top, solid spruce back and sides. It has X-bracing, a flat fretboard, and features an early John Pearse armrest made of plastic. They were only made of plastic for a short time before switching to tone woods. It has a dovetail neck joint, and reinforced bridge but no truss rod.

I believe that Jester guitars started as rebranded Martin Vega guitars from the Egmond facility that produced Vega. At some point production moved to Romania and the guitars were completely redesigned, built with different materials, to a lower overall quality. However…

The Romania built Jester guitars are all solid spruce top, back, sides, and neck! Except the dreadnought model which had a mahogany neck. They aren’t fancy and they need a lot of adjustment to set up, but 40+ year-old solid spruce with a dovetail neck joint, and bone nut and saddle, sounds fantastic. I’d nominate my JSG-26 for best sounding guitar with no resale value. It’s one worth keeping.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion