The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-23-2014, 02:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Should I Feel Guilty??

No this isnt a confessional but just getting it out there!

Should I feel guilty that the quality of my guitars far outstrips the quality of my playing? Dont get me wrong - I have worked hard and paid for them fair and square but I know I am not putting any of them through their paces to an adequate standard.

I often see far better players getting wonderful sounds from cheaper and less well made guitars and it makes me wonder! I know I should practice more to improve my playing but I feel I have reached a comfort zone in playing well enough to accompany my singing and need a spur to learn. I have recently started to play with a partner and hopefully a band so I am hoping that wil give me the incentive to improve.

I also wonder whether because I play a quality guitar when I go to open mics and local folk clubs that folks expect me to be better and get a bit sniffy when they hear how rubbish I am. Because of this I often leave my nicer and easier to play guitars at home.

Your comments and thoughts would be appreciated as always.

Thanks

Simon
Old 04-23-2014, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Should I feel guilty that the quality of my guitars far outstrips the quality of my playing?
No
There seem to be some on here who would disagree but my opinion is that there are two reasons to own a guitar.
One is to play it as well as you can and one is because a guitar is a thing of beauty displaying the craftsmanship of the luthier.
There is no reason why you shouldn't collect quality guitars and not play them at all if you want.
I have a fair number of average to low end guitars. My playing ability probably matches the quality but may not justify the quantity. But I like collecting guitars. They're all a bit different.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:35 AM
Charter Member

Thank you Leftarm,

I note you are also East Sussex based. Where do you play?
Old 04-23-2014, 02:37 AM

In my conservatory mostly
I'm in Uckfield, I don't play in public.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:39 AM
Charter Member

I am in Framfield!

Strange to communicate via a predominately USA based forum!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:06 AM

Blimey, just up the road.
Do you play in public locally?
Old 04-23-2014, 03:07 AM

Get the guitar that pleases you the most and play it however you want!

I think you're maybe over-analysing things anyway; 9/10 people at open mic nights can't tell one guitar from another. You'd have to be a very bigoted gear snob to tell someone they don't deserve to play their own guitar.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:08 AM
Charter Member

and I'm in West Sussex - Chichester ! I feel the same way - if you have the facility to own thing s that you love - then do so without guilt and enjoy them. It is probably people like yourself who will care and cherish such instruments and are caring for them for future generations.

I do believe that for such things as fine instruments we don't so much "own" then as care for them as they will (certainly should) outlast us.

East Sussex guys - why not come along to the Chichester Pickers ? Nice little pub in Oving just outside Chichester. Music starts at 8.p.m. (with my and my pals) everyone who wants to has a ten or fifteen minute spot - ability variable but we have fun.

We meet 2nd & 4th Thursday - like .... tomorrow night
PM me for details !
Old 04-23-2014, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
Blimey, just up the road.
Do you play in public locally?
Mostly the White Horse Folk Club in Bodle St Green but sometimes Green Man at Ringmer and The Blackboys Inn have started an open mic
Old 04-23-2014, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustNeverSleeps View Post
I think you're maybe over-analysing things anyway; 9/10 people at open mic nights can't tell one guitar from another. You'd have to be a very bigoted gear snob to tell someone they don't deserve to play their own guitar.
You are right - I probably am over analysing but I spend a lot of time on my own working at home so all sorts runs through my tiny mind
Old 04-23-2014, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijos1 View Post
No this isnt a confessional but just getting it out there!

Should I feel guilty that the quality of my guitars far outstrips the quality of my playing? Dont get me wrong - I have worked hard and paid for them fair and square but I know I am not putting any of them through their paces to an adequate standard.

I often see far better players getting wonderful sounds from cheaper and less well made guitars and it makes me wonder! I know I should practice more to improve my playing but I feel I have reached a comfort zone in playing well enough to accompany my singing and need a spur to learn. I have recently started to play with a partner and hopefully a band so I am hoping that wil give me the incentive to improve.

I also wonder whether because I play a quality guitar when I go to open mics and local folk clubs that folks expect me to be better and get a bit sniffy when they hear how rubbish I am. Because of this I often leave my nicer and easier to play guitars at home.

Your comments and thoughts would be appreciated as always.

Thanks

Simon
Hi, you couldnt have my own thoughts down more clearly.I have just started to play out myself with my best guitars.I don't worry about it anymore,I just enjoy myself.cheers Dave.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:20 AM

I have three very nice hand made guitars, and I wouldn't describe myself as a particularly competent musician.
One of the reasons that I play as well as I do is because of my guitars. If you have great guitar that you love you are going to play them more, and you will get better at it. (QED)
I never play anything but one of my three best guitars. Why accept less than the best that you have available. Why deprive yourself of those minutes or hours of pleasure.
When you play out you will sound better if you are playing one of your better and easier to play guitars.
Go on, be a devil.
MJRB
Old 04-23-2014, 05:22 AM

Not at all.

Im in the same boat as you. But having these great guitars motivates me to play them every day and enjoy my development as I hear it through these wonderful guitars.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 04-23-2014, 05:24 AM

Smile Heh Heh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijos1 View Post

Strange to communicate via a predominately USA based forum!
Heh Heh! Welcome to the dark side.

Love yer homeland. Of course my souvenir from our trip to the UK was a new Michelin tire after I ripped a sidewall in Bath. I had a little trouble adjusting to your traffic patterns.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

If you can afford it and enjoy it, play the best guitar you can...the one that make YOU feel good. And they were made to play,so take it with you to open mics. No need to justify anything to anyone.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion