The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Larrivee Classical (LS-30)

Does anyone here have any experience with Larrivee's LS-30 classical guitar? I'm having a lot of trouble finding much in the way of reviews of this model online, and I'm wonder if any AGFers could provide me with some insights. I'm mostly interested in knowing about their tone and playability. I'd welcome any comparisons to other models you can make. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

I owned both a LS-30 and a 1975 Larrivee classical, and the LS 30- is a great classical guitar. Not in the league of the 8,000 dollar classicals as far as projection goes, but I think they are the classical to get.

Solid construction with thin top and Jean's famous bracing, makes for a classical gutiar that is a treat to play, and no dead notes, with plenty of projection.

They are hard to find, and if you have found one, play it to see how you like it. I think the classical from Larrive is the hidden gem of the Larrivee line. He started by apprenticing with a classical builder, and that is a pretty solid reference.

If you can't find one new or used...you would not lose any money by looking for a used one, and if it did not meet your needs...you can always recoup the dollars.

Here is a shot of me with my LS-30
Old 08-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Musical minimalist

I had two C-30's from the mid to late 90's and neither stayed very long. Guess I just got a couple of duds, because the Lucida 755 I had until recently took them both down pretty easily. Normally I like Larrivee instruments (especially at the price point) but those weren't on par with their normal tonal quality. I'd reccomend playing the one you are going to buy first, or at least getting a 48 hour approval period.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:26 PM

I've recently immersed myself in the world of nylon string guitars and have played two Larrivee L-30s.....very average and I place them on the same level as the Taylor nylons...and that ain't a good level to be on. There are much better alternatives for the same amount of money (Esteve, Kenny Hill, etc.).
Old 08-11-2007, 05:39 PM

Sounds like a mixed bag so far. My problem is that to buy one I'll have to do it online (no Larrivee dealers in my neck of the woods, not by a long shot), and obviously won't have the chance to play beforehand. I currently own a Taylor NS32ce, so I can appreciate the comparison to the Taylor nylon series.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Musical minimalist

keep in mind that Dogsnax is just talking about tonally...the Taylor's are "crossover" instruments and the Larrivee's are traditional classical neck width and fingerboards.....

Old 08-11-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
keep in mind that Dogsnax is just talking about tonally...the Taylor's are "crossover" instruments and the Larrivee's are traditional classical neck width and fingerboards.....
Kenny Hill makes a fantastic Master Series crossover nylon with 1 7/8" nut width. This is definitely more expensive than the Larrivee or Taylor nylons, but you might take a close look at the Esteve line - made in Valencia, Spain, excellent solid woods, quality instrument. I believe Esteve has a couple models that fit the "crossover" style (1 7/8" nut width).

Last edited by Dogsnax; 08-11-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
Kenny Hill makes a fantastic Master Series crossover nylon with 1 7/8" nut width. This is definitely more expensive than the Larrivee or Taylor nylons, but you might take a close look at the Esteve line - made in Valencia, Spain, excellent solid woods, quality instrument. I believe Esteve has a couple models that fit the "crossover" style (1 7/8" nut width).
You've played Esteve models? I looked at those for awhile but sort of wrote them off after finding so little in the way of reviews written about them online.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:55 AM

I actually have an Esteve 70-4863, which was originally custom ordered by Larry Pattis through Ron Fernandez:

http://www.fernandezmusic.com/

If I'm not mistaken, Ron is the made distributor of Esteve guitars in the U.S. He's considered to be one the better set-up guys in the classical guitar business. My Esteve is a crossover player's dream...solid cedar top, solid EIR back and sides, cutaway, 630mm scale length, 1 7/8" width at the nut, well-made with clean workmanship. It's one of the higher level Esteve guitars, but I think it's original list price was under 2K. I love the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion