The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 PM

Default Any Thoughts on the Podium Custom Martin OM-18V?

Just when I was thinking about a D-18GE, I saw this beauty on the Podium site. Apparently, it's a custom job that Martin produces for The Podium. It has an Engelmann spruce top, nickel waverlys, a single cutaway (very cool), modified V neck with 1 3/4" string spacing, and sounds great based on the audio sample. Oh, and it's on sale currently for a what appears to be a reasonable price. So, whatta ya think, particularly when compared to a D-18GE or a D-18V? I've got two rosewood dreads already, so might this be a good change of pace in mahogany? Also, would this be a good strummer/flat picker? Thanks for your opinions.
Martin HD-28VS
Martin D-28
Martin D-18V
Guild JF30-12
Rickenbacker 330
Les Paul Studio Fireburst
Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

I haven't played the one you are talking about, but many of the small body customs that the Podium orders are geared towards fingerstyle playing. Since the Martin OM has an Engelmann top I wonder if that is true for it as well. I'd give them a call and see if they feel it's the best fit for strumming/flat picking. Regarding the sound sample, I agree it sounds really good. However, I don't hear a great deal of differences between the recorded samples of guitars that are quite different heard in person. So while I like the sound of the recordings I'm not sure I would base a decision on them.

Have you seen the Ken Miller cuban mahogany/adi dread in the classifieds?

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 11-28-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:20 AM

I also have not played this particular one (I have banished myself from The Podium's guitar room - too many amazingly wonderful guitars in there and it is all far too tempting, and my wife feels I am more than adequately set in the guitar department). But I have played some of their other Engelmann-topped custom, commissioned Martins (Martin is making these to specifications given them by The Podium), and all that I have played have been absolutely fabulous guitars that rival or exceed anything else in the shop. I almost bought one of their Singer-Songwriter custom D28 models, and I did careful comparisons to practically everything else in the shop. That guitar is a fabulous fingerstyle guitar (and great for strumming and flatpicking too), as good or better in my opinion than any of the other guitars in the shop - except maybe for the Goodalls, which are not necessarily better but different. Seriously, in my opinion, The Podium's custom commissioned Martins are as good as (or often better than) anything else in their shop, and that is saying a lot.

I ended up with a Goodall (and The Podium's all gloss Martin 000-15), but if I could justify the expense (and if my wife was onboard with the idea of getting yet another guitar) I would buy one of those custom commissioned Martins at The Podium in a heartbeat - an Engelmann-topped one in particular.

Again, I have not played the OM, but if it is anything like their other custom Martins I'll bet it is fantastic.

Last edited by wcap; 11-28-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:21 AM

I love GEs, have a dread and 000, but OM-18Vs are very cool.

And I love Engelmann, my OM-45TB has a flamed Engelmann top and it's my all time favorite Martin. I strum and flatpick on it and it has headroom, I would think an OM-18V with an Engelmann top would be a terrific guitar, the cutaway is interesting if you use the entire neck.

Podium comes up with some interesting Martins with Engelmann tops, like the D-28 Songwriter which sounds terrifc too. The only negative is customs are a harder re-sale than traditional models, even high enders, it helps to have the spec sheet detailing what indeed is custom on a particular guitar.

You have 2 roeswood dreads, Mahogany gives you some variety, and an OM even more. The custom you are looking at or an 000-18GE (ambertones are beautiful) would make great complements to your Martins, good luck!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-28-2011, 09:24 AM

I love GEs, have a dread and 000, but OM-18Vs are very cool.

And I love Engelmann, my OM-45TB has a flamed Engelmann top and it's my all time favorite Martin. I strum and flatpick on it and it has headroom, I would think an OM-18V with an Engelmann top would be a terrific guitar, the cutaway is interesting if you use the entire neck.

Podium comes up with some interesting Martins with Engelmann tops, like the D-28 Songwriter which sounds terrifc too. The only negative is customs are a harder re-sale than traditional models, even high enders, it helps to have the spec sheet detailing what indeed is custom on a particular guitar.

You have 2 roeswood dreads, Mahogany gives you some variety, and an OM body even more. The custom you are looking at or an 000-18GE (ambertones are beautiful) would make great complements to your Martins, good luck!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-28-2011, 11:44 AM

I've played it, hard to beat for an OM cutaway. Call them and get the in hand description.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:47 PM

Well, I spoke to the Podium today. According to them, the necks on the cutaway model had "problems," so all of them are being returned to Martin for repair. Also, I was told that the ad for the guitar should have been removed from their website. Oh, well ... the search continues.
Martin HD-28VS
Martin D-28
Martin D-18V
Guild JF30-12
Rickenbacker 330
Les Paul Studio Fireburst

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion