The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-01-2015, 02:31 AM

Uncle Joe that sounds great :-)
I finally managed to dig out the recording kit and record some of "After You've gone". I didn't manage to get a recording all the way through and listening back left me more than a little downhearted. It sure sounded better in my head! Made me think that perhaps I've picked something that overstretches my ability (or practice time). It seems a waste to give up on it now though. The main faults are buzzing bar chords. These have been an issue from the start but the recording makes them sound far worse.
I'll post the results at some point.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Ok, so here is another recording with another 50 minutes of practice. I worked on both pages, but here is just the first page.

I may practice again later tonight, I may just crash, lol. Can't tell for sure at my age now,

We moved our youngest into his college dorm yesterday and tonight we have to run a few more things up to him. So maybe that's it for today.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-01-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Sounds great with the vocals Joe! Nice work!
Thanks Doug.

I'm not much of a singer but I do try on certain songs. 39 has 3 harmony parts and I'm still trying to figure out which one works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
You're getting there. The vocals fit the song perfectly.

Have you ever tried alternating bass note on one beat and then strum on the second beat? It may not fit every tune, but something to think about.
Thanks TB.

Yes, and I do use it on a few other songs but I know them well enough that I don't have to think about it. It's just automatic. I believe it will fit very well with this song too but I need to concentrate on being able to get through the whole thing without stumbling first.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:05 AM

I have always wanted to be able to play and sing this song(nice melody and one of the few songs that fit my vocal range without changing the key). This is the first time I have seen someone do it this way in C with a capo on the second fret rather than in D no capo. Anyway, it sounds good the way he does it, and seems more doable than other versions. Now, I just have to figure out how to play it (he has a video teaching it, but he is an awful teacher).
Old 09-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Ok, so I squeezed in another hour of practice, 10 minutes on Gstep Blues and 50 minutes on "Do Anything If You Let Me," primarily on the second page. Sometime this week though I have to get back to my chromatic scales and Mood For A Day so I can get that recorded, video'd and then get on with The Clap (another Steve Howe tune). When I'm finished with "Do Anything if You Let Me" I'll pick another Woody Mann arrangement for here. The Clap might take awhile, but it isn't as unforgiving as playing Mood For A Day on a classical.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad0317 View Post

I have always wanted to be able to play and sing this song(nice melody and one of the few songs that fit my vocal range without changing the key). This is the first time I have seen someone do it this way in C with a capo on the second fret rather than in D no capo. Anyway, it sounds good the way he does it, and seems more doable than other versions. Now, I just have to figure out how to play it (he has a video teaching it, but he is an awful teacher).
Go slow with it. He tells you most of the chords he uses, kinda tab it out using just the chords by beats only. I think the trick is going slow and using the rewind a lot. That is a nice tune.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Hopefully a few of you will post your progress soon.

I switched gears and went back to working on Classical Gas. I should have it done soon, the only problem really is memorizing it. My recording area is not large enough to have all the pages spread out so I'm trying to use Songsterr as a "teleprompter", lol. It might work. It beats laying the pages all out all over the place. Here's just the beginning.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-08-2015, 08:55 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Hopefully a few of you will post your progress soon.

I switched gears and went back to working on Classical Gas. I should have it done soon, the only problem really is memorizing it. My recording area is not large enough to have all the pages spread out so I'm trying to use Songsterr as a "teleprompter", lol. It might work. It beats laying the pages all out all over the place. Here's just the beginning.

Very nice Barry! Keep it up.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Very nice Barry! Keep it up.
Thanks Doug!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-11-2015, 02:09 AM

As promised 10 days ago here is the recording of "After You've gone".
I'm taking a break from it for now as I have struggled with it too long and was really disappointed with this. It's becoming a chore rather than fun.
I am playing some ragtime stuff from a Woody Mann lesson off Homespun at the moment and will probably spend some time reviewing things that I have done before to try and get my mojo back.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
As promised 10 days ago here is the recording of "After You've gone".
I'm taking a break from it for now as I have struggled with it too long and was really disappointed with this. It's becoming a chore rather than fun.
I am playing some ragtime stuff from a Woody Mann lesson off Homespun at the moment and will probably spend some time reviewing things that I have done before to try and get my mojo back.

That's going take a bit more work, but go onto to something else and when you get the urge go back to this but just work on one measure at a time and don't go to the next measure until you can play the current one at half speed without a mistake.

What lesson of Woody's did you get from Homespun? I really like his stuff.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-12-2015, 05:23 AM

Hi Barry. Yes a break and going back later is my plan. The Woody Mann course is Art of acoustic blues: Do that guitar rag. Short blues rags that complement the Toby Walker stuff I already have. I've also got the Richard Saslow Ragtime book which is excellent.
I'm thinking of changing the goal slightly from learn a new song to record an old song. Getting comfortable with the recording process iwpuld help me critique my existing repertoire. Hopefully they are not as bad as the above! :-)
Old 09-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
Hopefully they are not as bad as the above! :-)
Don't think of it as "bad" lefty, you just haven't practiced it enough.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-24-2015, 05:22 AM

My brother and his GF were in from Colorado a couple weeks ago. We had an all day jam with about a dozen other folks. Even though I didn't feel it was ready I decided to give 39 a go. She was only vaguely familiar with it but with the lyrics printed out his girl joined me. I didn't use the 12 string and there are still a couple mistakes. We were outside and just used the small, handheld Tascam on a tripod so quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny61 View Post
I wanted to get away from strumming so I think I'm gonna give john Mayer your body is a wonderland a try. It's probably an easy song for most of you but it's probably a month long project for me. Maybe longer we will see.
I had quit on learning this song as it proved too difficult but after re reading this thread I decided to give it a go. It's still too hard for me to play well but I think someone might actually recognize it now. It's amazing what learning different songs actually helps the ones that were previously too hard (If that makes any sense). I'll keep at it in between learning more country and fingerstyle songs.

Here is where it's at

https://soundcloud.com/user-617058327/stop-this-train

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write