The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2015, 12:07 PM

I grew up in a bluegrass family, which meant "Martin", period. At one point I owned four of them. I am SO over it now, though. Get the one that speaks to you, and if you truly need to own one with Martin on the headstock, find a used LXM or something like that.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on finding a beaut!

Last edited by zoopeda; 10-03-2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: missed OPs update NGD...
Old 10-03-2015, 06:22 PM

Sweet guitar! Good choice!

Greg Rappleye
Old 10-03-2015, 09:10 PM

Looks like a winner, pick up a Martin T shirt or coffee mug to relieve the GAS.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Larrivees are terrific guitars, and that guitar is every bit the equal of a martin in quality.

if you delve into it, Larrivee as a brand has enough history to get pretty cult-y about. Jean larrivee has innovated and contributed substantially in the acoustic design world and is in the pantheon of successful luthiers who built a brand.

i say get you some larrivee swag and become a larrivee officianado! martin has more than their share already :-)
Old 10-04-2015, 08:54 AM

Muffinhead, I'm glad for you. I've followed your adventure over this forum and on the Larrivee site and I think you made a good decision. The OM-40 is a fine instrument and will bring you much pleasure. As I mentioned, I have several
Larrivees (although not an OM) and have had several Martins. My only current
Martin, a CEO-7, was bought because it spoke to me, not because it was a Martin. The Larrivees,I feel, we're bought for the same reason. Tom
Old 10-04-2015, 09:42 AM

I think the recognition of the brand -drives alot of us guys becasue we have been told time and time again -want a great guitar buy a Martin -we see some of our idols playing them and every time we open a guitar magazine we see Martins -Taylors and what have you . Your attitude is great -your thinking outside of the box - Women tend not to look at names as much ( as per a Reverb article i just read - My wife would be proud of me for saying that as well )
Larrivee is a great guitar for the money -Yamahas , Takamines - etc. great bang for the buck guitars .
Spending more on a guitar doesnt make you a better guitarist . The reason many top pros are playing Tak's for example -is that their a great guitar for the money .
Yes i do own a Martin , and yes it is a great guitar -but i own many guitars -
many with names most of you have never heard of - and yes they are equally great as well - when a guitar is not great , most of the time it soon has a new owner ( with a couple of exceptions -vintage stuff etc)
Old 10-04-2015, 12:04 PM

Default Your ear matters the most

I am glad you bought the Larivee. Played a dread two years ago while at Gruhn's in Nashville. I was astonished at how good it sounded. All the money that day went to get a Gibson for my wife, but I still think about that dread. A guitar feeds your soul through your ears. Let them decide what they want.

As for Martins, we have some in our house. But there is a Takamine here I play more than anything else. It is beyond sweet. Koa and cedar. It doesn't spec at my preference. I like wider nuts, etc. but the sound gives me something none of the others do so I have adapted my fingers to it and now it just thrills me. Many of you would select a different guitar from the stable my wife and I keep, but those are your ears at work, I hope.

I do play them all, but the Tak is always the first grab. And often, that's all I play. I am getting ready to cull and turn some of the others into something further up the flow chart, but I doubt anything I buy will bump this Tak from its special spot with me. Playing is a sensory experience, so let yourself have what you like.

Martin D-35 50th Anniversary Limited Edition
Taylor 814
Taylor DN5--Engelman top, tropical mahogany
Taylor 412ce—LTD maple
Giannini Classical 1960s vintage
Taylor GS Mini
Old 10-04-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_E View Post
Go ahead. Get the larrivee. It will be awesome and you will love it. Prediction : you will still want a martin. They have their own thing going on. I bet 6 months from now you will buy a martin anyway.
Truer words were never spoken.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:45 PM

If you bought the Martin and Larrivee both and the Larrivee connected with you more, the Martin would just sit there emanating mystique from the lonely corner of your room.

I never bought into name brands, if a guitar speaks to you go with it.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:54 PM

I'm in a similar headspace -- "time for a Martin" -- but at the same time aware of so many other options that are easily as good.

I tried a Larrivee next to a couple of Martins, and they really were comparable in tone and quality.

Larrivee has it's own cachet among serious players -- and is likely to achieve classic status in the future, so I personally wouldn't feel I was compromising anything by choosing one over the Martin.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
If you want a new Martin the 000-mmv at GC might be in your price range. They really are a pretty good deal especially if you can catch a 15% sale.

I personally like these a lot better than the whole hogs.
Just bought one of these GC exclusives last week if those are the ones you're referring to. It's an exclusive for GC. It's part of the X series line. The GC model designation is X1-000E.

Great little guitar so far.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion