The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 09:30 PM

Default Flat picker Mt Rushmore

Heres my list and its hard to deviate for me.

Clarence White
Tony Rice
Doc Watson
Norman Blake

These 4 laid the foundation for everyone who came after and tried to play Soldiers Joy, Black Mountain Rag, etc. in my opinion. Many of todays players site one or more of these as the best ever although is there really a best ever? Anyway thats my 4 whats yours?
Old 03-21-2024, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Never heard of um.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-21-2024, 10:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Those are certainly landmark players. Doc Watson invented the genre (after being persuaded to set aside his Les Paul solidbody electric) and others followed and expounded on the foundation. I’d add
Dan Crary
Molly Tuttle

and my current favorite
Billy Strings
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 03-22-2024, 01:46 AM

Molly Dan and Billy are all great players and it would take hours to list them all. I was simply stating my 4 best of all time which are subjective as is any list.

Speaking of Billy I so wanted to see him live when he played with Chris Thile in February but it sold out quick. From the few videos that were uploaded it looked like they were both having a blast as they both cut their teeth on Bluegrass. The vibe was undeniable and at times it looked like Billy was being pushed by Thile and loving it. Not too many times you get in a situation like that if your name is Billy Strings. It was fun to watch Billy’s face at times.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:15 AM

I would add Dan Crary to that Mt. Rushmore because he helped found the band Bluegrass Alliance, which gave both Tony Rice and Sam Bush their starts, and he released his incredible album "Bluegrass Guitar" around 1970. So he was right there as a very early soloist in bluegrass bands. Crary also had an academic career, and that limited his musical career a bit.

As far as incredible pickers, one guy who tends to get overlooked sometimes is Bryan Sutton. Russ Barrenburg has also been fairly influential, especially in the Northeast. And Charles Sawtelle with Hot Rize was fantastic and unique. David Grier also drops my jaw every time I hear him. And Don Reno has always got to be mentioned.

I also like Cody Kilby, Josh Williams, Chris Eldridge, Jake Workman, Jake Eddy, Trey Hensley, David Rawlings, Ron Block, Mark O'Connor, Beppe Gambetta, and lots of people whom I am forgetting right now.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

I'd put Bryan Sutton up there in the first 5 or 6. Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Norman Blake, Clarence White and then Bryan Sutton!
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 03-22-2024, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandmar View Post

Clarence White
Tony Rice
Doc Watson
Norman Blake
Exclude Clarence White from the prestigious protuberance of Flatpicker Mount Rushmore, IMOPE (in my personal estimation), but the other listed three certainly belong there.

I'd say put Don Reno up there, too; even though he played more bluegrass banjo than guitar, he's nevertheless the musician who really started Bluegrass flatpicking--even Doc Watson remarked that the first person he'd heard play fiddle tunes on guitar was Don Reno.

Don Reno on lead, with Bill Harrell and the Tennessee Cut-Ups, 1974:

Don Reno talking at a guitar workshop, 1966 (he plays guitar quite a bit, as well, demonstrating styles and techniques through his musical journey):

And here's a collection of instrumental guitar numbers Don Reno originally recorded in November, 1972, intended for a vinyl album release that unfortunately never happened, although his guitar and the fiddle accompaniment (could well be Buck Ryan) were later assembled and released in CD format in 2007 under the title The Golden Guitar of Don Reno (Don's sons Ronnie, Dale, and Don Wayne dubbed in the additional musical parts).

Additional information about the history of those November, 1972, Don Reno recordings, from a page over at https://www.countysales.com/products/22405 :

In early 1973, just before the demise of the Starday Record Company, there were rumors in the Bluegrass community that Don Reno had recorded an all guitar instrumental album for that label--for most of us this new King label release is the first real proof that this was more than a rumor, as the recordings had never surfaced through various changes of label ownership. For many the album will be a revelation, though those of us fortunate enough to have seen Reno & Smiley's shows in person well knew that Reno was as good a guitar picker as he was a banjo player. Apparently Don decided to put down some guitar tracks in Starday-King's Nashville studios when his partner Bill Harrell came up hoarse and could not fulfill a scheduled recording date for their band. It's possible that it is Buck Ryan's fiddle in the background here, but the other instrumental parts have been dubbed in recently by Reno's sons Ronnie, Dale & Don Wayne. The 15 cuts are pure Reno and a rare and unexpected treat to find & hear at this late date. Obviously a must for Reno fans and guitar pickers in general! GREY EAGLE, TRAIN MEDLEY, LADY HAMLET, HOT RIZE FLOWER, DIXIE MEDLEY, PEACOCK RAG, TURKEY IN THE STRAW, POLKA ON THE GUITAR, OLD SPINNING WHEEL, TARNATION

Playlist:

01. 0:00:00 Gray Eagle
02. 0:01:59 Polka on the Guitar
03. 0:04:35 Lady Hamlet
04. 0:07:11 Italian Waltz
05. 0:09:37 Guitar Medley in "G"
06. 0:12:49 Old Spinning Wheel (In the Parlor)
07. 0:15:09 Hot Rize Flower Medley
08. 0:17:37 Turkey in the Straw
09. 0:20:01 Rocking Alone in a Old Rocking Chair
10. 0:22:09 Dixie Medley
11. 0:23:53 Peacock Rag
12. 0:25:55 I Like Mountain Music
13. 0:29:01 Rangers Waltz
14. 0:31:27 Train Medley
15. 0:33:21 Tarnation - (take With Intro, with intro)

Last edited by Inyo; 03-22-2024 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:26 PM

All of these are great pickers, for sure. The first time I ever heard flatpicking was at a Bluegrass festival in 1974 where I had the opportunity to hear Grant Boatwright and his group, Red White & Blue(grass). They played a song called Palmerdal Postal Service that just fascinated me, never heard anyone play like that!

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 03-22-2024, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

When I read the title of this thread, I thought for a moment, then listed "my" 4 flatpickers for a "Mount Rushmore"...

My 4 were exactly the ones you first mentioned!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-22-2024, 01:51 PM

Hi Inyo. Why would you exclude Clarence White?
Everyone has their favorites, but I'm interested in what you find wrong with Clarence.
Old 03-22-2024, 02:03 PM

I lean more contemporary. I think it's more (for me) of a combination of flat-picking AND tone. Tyminski just has a sonic and touch that resonates with me. Carl Miner of course. Ron Block is a sleeper who continues to fly well under the radar and continuing with the contemporary player's Sean Watkins.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:26 PM

Great thread !
I second every name mentioned above, include Clarence White ... and add Bob Minner.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 03-22-2024, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

I think the Norman Blake, Doc Watson time was era #1, Bryon Sutton and peers era #2, Billy Strings and Molly Tuttle era #3. But the era #3 players are well versed in era1 and era 2.

Just like Bill Monroe, then David Grisman, Chris Thele more or less define eras. Sub you age appropriate heroes here.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-22-2024, 05:13 PM

it really is about genres isnt it. i heard an interview of some cigar guy talking to Jordan about the greatest of all time. He said he cringes when he hears people say he is because you will never know. he didnt get to play against russell, chamberlin, etc so its an unfair comparison and hes 100% right in his thinking. is there ever a GOAT? people have their opinions sometimes strong and you cant sway them.

when TR passed there was a lot of talk that he was from highly respected players that dont play guitar. most of them brought up a lot of the same names but no one would commit to saying who was the GOAT as it should be.

for sure my choices have stood the test of time and Ill stand by them. This is interesting reading as there is no right answer except in the posters mind.

However if your talking mandolin Thile is the GOAT in my mind by a long way. Seen him solo, with the Punch Brothers and others. Its like watching and listening to Mozart. The ability creativity and mastery of the instrument is unparalleled. I sat two rows back and he came out to play a Bach piece before a show. The silence was defining.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Flat picker Mt Rushmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandmar View Post

Clarence White

Tony Rice

Doc Watson

Norman Blake

These 4 laid the foundation for everyone who came after and tried to play Soldiers Joy, Black Mountain Rag, etc. in my opinion. Many of todays players site one or more of these as the best ever although is there really a best ever? Anyway thats my 4 whats yours?

I cannot improve on your list. Good choices!
Of these four, only Norman Blake is still with us. As for Molly Tuttle and Billy Strings, their time may well come, and we’d have to expand the mountain sculpture, not replace any of these.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion