The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2024, 06:10 AM

Enjoy your new axe, Annie! Great choice!!
Old 03-19-2024, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

I had a 00-18 and sweet is a good description of the tone. Just a smooth bass rich tone.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie B View Post
... Ultimately, while they both sang to me, I decided the 18 is my choice mostly because I prefer the thinner MLO neck over the Mod V. I'm still recovering from thumb surgery, for example, and I couldn't play a clear bar chord on the CEO whereas it was easy-peasy with the 18. The 18 neck felt just right and the slightly smaller body felt more comfortable for my small frame...
I am happy that you found the guitar you like. I had a feeling it would come down to the neck and playability between your two candidates. Like most everyone, price is my first criterion, but neck profile/ergonomics is a close second. It is more important to me than tone. Finding that critical balance between expense, ergonomics, and acoustics is key.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Like most everyone, price is my first criterion, but neck profile/ergonomics is a close second. It is more important to me than tone. Finding that critical balance between expense, ergonomics, and acoustics is key.
Really interesting way to frame the priorities of guitar purchase, Zissou Intern, and I hadn't thought of it like this. And I think ergonomics becomes increasingly important as we age. Fortunately, though I was more dazzled by the tone of the CEO7, it isn't really any better than the 00-18--just different, in the ways that have been outlined in all the posts. Cheers to all!
Old 03-20-2024, 08:51 AM

A final point: the fellow who sold me the 0018 said Adi tops take quite a bit longer than the Sitka to break in. Up to 10 years vs up to 3, depending on how and how often you play. Something to research and consider when choosing between the two tops.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
A final point: the fellow who sold me the 0018 said Adi tops take quite a bit longer than the Sitka to break in. Up to 10 years vs up to 3, depending on how and how often you play. Something to research and consider when choosing between the two tops.
Hmmm. That's interesting. I've never gotten a guitar, though, based on what it might sound like in ten years.

My adi-topped CS 00-18 sounded (to my ears :-) considerably better than the standard sitka-topped 00-18s I auditioned along side it, so I guess it's gonna have monster tone in ten years! :-)

I think you did well, though, getting the standard 00-18. They do sound really sweet!

Frank
Old 03-20-2024, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Congrats and great choice! I agree about adi tops. My two Martins with adi tops continue to get better but he's right, it takes a while. First world problem that I have to play these beautiful guitars a lot to get them to open up! Get to work on your new one and enjoy it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion