The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2024, 09:37 AM

Hello fellow hills of TN person! I have tried a few travel axes because I travel frequently. The Washburn Rover was a no go, happy to send you mine. My GS mini is good but kinda big on the plane sometimes. Have settled on the Martin Backpacker with a unique strap-on attachment that sits it on your leg properly. The sound isn’t the best but I don’t perform, however the fretboard feels Martinesque for practicing. Bought a nice fitted bag on Etsy for it and it usually nestles along the plane wall near my leg under a coat, never been asked to move it. Have put in the bin after all the bags go in if not in a window seat. Those neck folding ones look like a great option but haven’t tried them. Best of luck and fun in your search.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM

I will third VoyageAir. Made to travel, they sound great and are available at several price points.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 03-09-2024, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

If I want to take a guitar with me when I travel it is the Taylor GS Mini in an SKB case. Mine is a veteran of many road trips, train trips and trips on airplanes. Unlike most here, I check it, as I fly Delta a lot and get to check two pieces of luggage for free. I know that scares a lot of people. Anyway, the point is, it isn't specifically a travel guitar but it certainly is a good one for travelling.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-09-2024, 10:44 AM

I've been using a Voyage Air VAOM-02 for quite a while & it's really a great traveling guitar. I contacted Harvey Leach directly because they were sold out at the time & he sold me the one he had kept for himself in his office. I recently got a parlor for car travel (I'm recently retired) & to use on my small sailboat in the summer, so, I guess mine will go on the block soon. Just sayin'. :-)

Frank
Old 03-09-2024, 12:57 PM

I recently picked up a Furch LJ for travel. Completed my first trip a few weeks ago and it was really great to travel with. The bag it comes in fits under the seat so it’s a personal item rather than a carry on. This proved really beneficial for me because one of my flights required carry ons to be gate checked, but because the LJ was a personal item, I was able to keep with me on the flight.

Also the bag had enough room to fit my iPad, over ear headphones, a kindle, extra strings, string winder, tuner and capo.
Gibson Murphy Lab Hummingbird
Furch Little Jane
Old 03-09-2024, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
... if you want a "real" guitar feel, sound, playability and build - get a Voyage Air.... get an all-solid model and you will totally forget you are playing a folding guitar. ....
But everything on their website is sold out. They must be good.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurroz View Post
Agreed, I have a CSF3M... it plays like a real guitar!
True. It's a little guitar that plays like my great OM. And sounds good, too.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy my Furch Little Jane quite a bit. FWIW
Old 03-09-2024, 08:57 PM

Another vote for Voyage Air. Simply a great travel-size instrument that becomes a full-size guitar when you want it to.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 03-10-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
But everything on their website is sold out. They must be good.
They release them in batches, and yes they sell out. Usually there are a few available used - but not always. It's a good idea to be on the watch for one you want and buy it when you find it. 🙂
Old 03-10-2024, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Fwiw, I noticed that new forum sponsor, Guitar HAUS, has nine—count ‘em, nine—Furch Little Janes in stock. I’m not sure I’ve seen that many Furch guitars in stock at a dealer, let alone Little Janes.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:34 AM

Default Other Options

I'd suggest a Larrivee T-40 or their O or P parlor range, most particularly the O-40. All of these are smaller than the Taylor GS Mini and to my mind sound better as done with solid woods. Also come with a hard case, better for travel.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
I have a Composite Acoustics Cargo with a Gator travel bag sized for a GS Mini. I can fit it in the overhead, closet or even gate check it. What I like mostly about the carbon fiber is that I don’t have to worry about it in the trunk of a car - hot or cold. It is pretty indestructible. What I don’t like about it is the short scale - 22.75”

I have/do/feel the same. However, I’ve adapted quite well to the short scale. But I also play mine nearly every day as it lives in the kitchen/eating areas where I tend to spend time.

I used mine when I worked in some remote areas of northern Nicaragua. It was “the perfect guitar” for where I was and it was an easy fit in overhead bins.

If I had to buy something new today I’d like for another carbon fiber- one of the newer offerings. Just to try something different.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 03-10-2024, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Fwiw, I noticed that new forum sponsor, Guitar HAUS, has nine—count ‘em, nine—Furch Little Janes in stock. I’m not sure I’ve seen that many Furch guitars in stock at a dealer, let alone Little Janes.
Yeah that was surprising. It's rare to find more than one or two. They even had a Sitka/Mahogany version. I was playing my LJ last night and was reminded of how nice they sound for being a small guitar.
Old 03-10-2024, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
I’m going to try a Journey Overhead on my next transoceanic flight. I’ll report back.
I looked hard at the Journey Overhead guitars and was scared off by the number of "B" stock guitars available.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion