The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-21-2013, 03:51 PM

Default is there a way to slow down youtube videos?

I am trying to learn a song on youtube and having trouble with the picking pattern for the verse. I know that it is not terribly difficult but the pattern to the chord changes is still eluding me. It is Don Williams "Good Ol' Boys Like Me" done by "roadworker". It is a great rendition and arrangement and I would love to be able to play it. It is just the first two line that have me stumped. Thank you, Mike
Old 04-21-2013, 03:55 PM

I just discovered that you can slow down video in REAPER. Install VLC video player, which REAPER will use for decoding. Capture the video from YT. Drop it on the REAPER timeline, adjust the tempo. You can loop a section at the reduced tempo as well.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I just discovered that you can slow down video in REAPER. Install VLC video player, which REAPER will use for decoding. Capture the video from YT. Drop it on the REAPER timeline, adjust the tempo. You can loop a section at the reduced tempo as well.

Fran
Hi,
all you need to do is download the video and play it with VLC player. you don't need to go through REAPER. VLC has a slow dowh feature.

This is a very good player because it handles almost every kind of audio or video file format(avi mov etc...)

Theo
Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 AM

windows media player can also play videos at different speeds while maintaining the pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxguy View Post
I am trying to learn a song on youtube and having trouble with the picking pattern for the verse. I know that it is not terribly difficult but the pattern to the chord changes is still eluding me. It is Don Williams "Good Ol' Boys Like Me" done by "roadworker". It is a great rendition and arrangement and I would love to be able to play it. It is just the first two line that have me stumped. Thank you, Mike
hi mike, i don't think there is anyway to slow down a youtube video. i seem to recall some talk about implementing that feature a couple of years ago but i'm not sure it ever was, or at least not across all the videos. i'm going to guess this is the video in question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_E_...xgyLuw&index=9

while this can't be slowed down on youtube, it is possible to capture the youtube video and save it as a file on your computer. once there, then there are different media players (a few mentioned already in this thread) that can play it back at different speeds.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxguy View Post
Hey there,

Soundslice lets you slow down YouTube videos and tab them out. Here's the particular video you're looking for:

http://www.soundslice.com/yt/Ix_E_DENLOY/

I tabbed out the first bit for ya! You can use the "Half speed" button at the upper left to slow it down.

Adrian
Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 AM

I assume you're trying to do this with a PC so I may be a little off topic, but for anyone that may be interested in doing this with an iOS device, SpeedupTV will let you slowdown playback streaming directly from YouTube.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:03 PM

VLC takes you down to 25% speed with sound. You can go slower but the sound will not be present.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:43 PM

I've used VLC for looping video, but REAPER gives so much more control that it's definitely my preference. First the definition of the loop is much easier and more precise, the time selection can be edited to make the loop smooth and musical. Then the tempo adjustment is very fine grained and maintains audio at the original pitch, I tried a 30x slowdown and it was still working. Even better, the pitch can be adjusted for fine tuning or even a key change.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Eric Skye

Type the word "kiss" between the "." after www and the "y" before youtube. So this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrDB2g5BYZY looks like this http://www.kissyoutube.com/watch?v=zrDB2g5BYZY Then click to save as med-quality MP4 and just drag it from your download folder to "Transcribe" http://www.seventhstring.com and then you're good to go -on a mac anyway
Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 PM

+1 what Eric said.

I use Firefox and "Easy YouTube Video Downloader" as an addon, to download the video then use "Transcribe" to slow it down to whatever speed I like. Transcribe is particularly good at keeping the sound relatively free from weird artifacts (noises).
Martin: M-38, 000-15, Recording King RD-316, Enya (Carbon Fiber) X4 Pro, Silver Creek T160, Gretsch Americana Acoustic, Seagull M12, S8 (mandolin), Great Divide Camp guitar, Ibanez RS135, AM73 Giannini Flat Series Classical, Craviola Classical, Jay Turser JT134, Casio PG380 Digital guitar, Hohner Fretless (Steinberger) Bass, Kala Acacia Ubass, M Duffey: Celtic Harp
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 PM

I downloaded a cool app to my iphone called the "Amazing Slower Downer" which does a fantastic job on digital music on my phone. Not exactly what you are looking for, but I've found it very useful. It will slow songs as much as you want, loop sections and can be used on any song stored on your phone. the only drawback is that it's pricey, around $15.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:04 AM

I use Transcribe for this. It's free for the first month (and worth the price after that). You need to convert the video download from FLV to MP4 or MOV (as min7b5 says).
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post

Fran
This is the kind of stuff I am so woefully ignorant about. Is there anywhere I can get an idiot's guide to doing this kind of stuff? or posting videos even? That'd be really cool, thx.

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callouses View Post
This is the kind of stuff I am so woefully ignorant about. Is there anywhere I can get an idiot's guide to doing this kind of stuff? or posting videos even? That'd be really cool, thx.
I just wrote this tutorial for someone last week on how to get YouTube videos onto their iPad. Steps 1-9 will get the video onto your computer to use with VLC. Just make a note of where the video gets stored when you download it. It was written for Windows 7 but it works with Mac too. I don't know the steps to get it working on Reaper.

1. Open Firefox browser. Download at www.mozilla.org

2. Click on the Firefox tab in the upper left corner and click on Add Ons.

3. In the search bar for add ons type Download YouTube Videos as MP4 and hit enter.

4. Below the search bar click on Last Updated. Listed, will be several of the most recently updated Add Ons that will allow you to download YouTube videos. The important thing is that the Add On allows you to download as mp4 or m4v files so they work on Apple devices. You can click on “More” next to the Add On to find out more about it.

Note: At the time of this writing I’m using an Add On called “Download YouTube Videos as MP4”, so the steps below refer to that, but I would expect most work the same way. To find the one I’m using, scroll to the bottom of the list and click on “See All Results”. It should show up at or near the top of the list.
Also note, YouTube changes things up from time to time to break these downloaders so you may have to repeat steps 2-6 to get things working again with a different Add On.

5. After you’ve found an Add On you like, click Install. If a pop up box opens asking if you want to install, click Install.

6. Restart the browser to finish the installation.

7. Now, using the Firefox browser, navigate to the YouTube video you want to download.

8. Somewhere below the video near the thumbs down icon, you should see a Download button. Click on it.

9. Select one of the MP4 options (You may also be able to download as an audio only mp3 file depending on the Add On). Bigger is better but also creates a bigger file. 720 is a good video size for iPads.

10. In the pop up screen click Browse and select iTunes. Click ok. iTunes will open and the video will begin to play. Stop playback.

Note: If you ever just want the file itself, it’s located in Downloads folder of Firefox. To find it, just click on the down arrow next to the browser’s search bar.

11. Plug in the iPad and select it under devices in the sidebar in iTunes if needed.

12. Navigate to Movies (or Music) along the top of the iTunes screen (not Movies in the sidebar). Check the box next to the desired video (or song) and sync the iPad.

13. iPad apps Speedup TV for movies (mp4) or Anytune Pro+ for music (mp3).

Last edited by Dave H; 04-26-2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Changed to Anytune Pro+ for iOS audio playback
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 PM

thx for typing all that, im going to save this, and get it all figured out

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write