The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 07:57 PM

Default Finally made something useful with the 3D printer

We have the el-cheapo Monoprice Select Mini 3D printer.

My first guitar-related projects were not so useful.

Tried printing a thumbpick. I never use thumbpicks and my few attempts have been cut short due to my very fat thumb (partly due to getting smashed in a garbage truck latch accident). The largest thumbpicks are WAY too tight. The one I printed fits great, but it's not useful because the printing leaves ridges and sounds crappy. REALLY crappy. It is too difficult to sand the material flat. Next time I'm in the mood to try a thumbpick, I'll try remolding a Fred Kelly bumblebee.

Then I tried a fret end file holder. No problem with this other than the size and finding a file that fits. Will probably just make a wood one next.

Yesterday I got tired of my knockaround travel guitar getting knocked around and didn't want to spend the money on another fancy wall holder. There's actually a great deal on eBay for a 5-pack of plastic hangers for $8, but decided to print one. Found a uke holder on thingiverse, scaled it to a 45mm opening and after about 10 hours and $1 worth of PLA here is what I got:

Works like a charm!

Old 01-25-2018, 08:04 PM

Read you thread tittle and thought "Another 3D printer?"

Supposedly that technology is available, but costs a TON so only research labs have them.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:07 PM

Great job on the hanger!

love Thingiverse. Did you upload your mod?

I have an original Prusa i3 MK2s.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Great job on the hanger!

love Thingiverse. Did you upload your mod?

I have an original Prusa i3 MK2s.
No, all I did was use the Ukulele/Guitar Wall Mount project and resize it for the guitar neck. There are a ton of guitar holder projects but I like the design of this one the best.

At 20% fill it was plenty strong - I'm sure it could be used for a very heavy electric.

(I actually use the Prusa i3 printer settings for the Monoprice.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion