The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-16-2018, 10:55 AM

Default Ensor Guitars- Rustic Inspired Concert- FINAL PHOTOS & VIDEO

My client was drawn to my recent walnut/cedar concert,

but wanted to put a different twist on it. First off, he's primarily a classical player. So he wanted it to "estimate a classical" in a few ways- mostly the feel of the neck and the string spacing. Also, he wants a mellow tone without the brashness typical to steel strings (at lease when compared to nylon strings). Secondly, he wanted to have a "rustic" aesthetic. So we started with the pairing of walnut and cedar as well as the concert shape. From there, he put his own spin on the look.

Raw materials (subject to change):

Let's get started:

The original idea for the rosette was radial brazilian kingwood. That idea was quickly abandoned for something that fit in much better with the rustic theme:

Plates:

This is going to be an abridged build thread, but should be fun regardless. Follow along. More coming soon.

Last edited by CaE; 04-19-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:36 AM

Lovely walnut!
Old 02-17-2018, 03:47 AM

What differences would you notice with that back bracing compared to a more standard ladder brace configuration?
Also, what is the little square located between the two lower braces on the top?
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-17-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Also, what is the little square located between the two lower braces on the top?
For good luck.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:02 PM

That's some beautiful "rustic" wood there Chris! Looking forward to the progress!
Old 02-17-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
What differences would you notice with that back bracing compared to a more standard ladder brace configuration?
The back bracing, along with a few other areas, is one of the ways I aim to build longevity into my guitars. One of the reasons neck resets are so common in older guitars is that the back loses its radius and flattens out. By bracing it with a pattern that is strong in multiple directions- instead of just across the grain, the tendency for the back to flatten reduces. Some say this pattern also leans towards a complex tone with rich overtones. I think tone's more complex than to narrow it down to that one factor, but I do think this back bracing sounds good and is strong.

The "little square" is a center seam reinforcement. The rest of the top seam is covered. But below the bridge plate, it's pretty open. That little square is just a little bit of insurance.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:43 PM

Wow! Love your recent build pics. Will enjoy following this build as well,Mike
Old 02-19-2018, 03:54 PM

The original plan was to use myrtle purfling everywhere. When I went to lay up the purfling for the top, I thought, "How boring!" I suggested to the client that we try radial myrtle. I had a piece that had some really nice color variations in it. He agreed it was a better choice for the top. We stuck with "regular" myrtle pufling for the rest of the body.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:10 PM

Thanks for posting. I really like the less-bright, less-contrasty bindings and rosette. It's subtle but still very visible. Personally, I really like guitars that do not scream with decoration, but reveal their appearance more quietly. Wonderful. I saw Eric Bibb a while back, and one of his guitars was a Pedros that was similarly bound and finished in this lower-contrast manner. I loved that one at the time, and really like yours. I find cedar tops to be beautiful, too and wonder what the tone of your will be. In my experience, cedar has been airy and dry -- I really like that -- but on this forum it often gets described as "warm" and not complex... which I don't really understand. I'll be interested in how this one sounds! Beautiful work.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Hey Chris,

What type of walnut is that?

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 02-22-2018, 12:12 PM

The neck on this guitar is black walnut multiply- to match the black walnut used for the back & sides. The plys are myrtle and indian rosewood- to match the binding and purfling used on the body.

The neck is profiled with a wide, flat D like profile- per the customer's request.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ensor View Post
....he wanted it to "estimate a classical" in a few ways- mostly the feel of the neck and the string spacing. Also, he wants a mellow tone without the brashness typical to steel strings (at lease when compared to nylon strings)
Hi Chris,
Beautiful walnut and interesting back bracing.

Two questions:
1. You have explained your back bracing above, do you feel this bracing pattern makes the back more 'alive' than the standard 3 or 4 straight line ladder bracing?

2. How is it possible to achieve a mellower tone leaning towards the Nylon guitar spectrum in a steel string? I am curious to this as well, as I find most steel strings too brash and zingy, but nylons too dull...

Thank you
Old 02-23-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabeer View Post
Hi Chris,
Beautiful walnut and interesting back bracing.

Two questions:
1. You have explained your back bracing above, do you feel this bracing pattern makes the back more 'alive' than the standard 3 or 4 straight line ladder bracing?

2. How is it possible to achieve a mellower tone leaning towards the Nylon guitar spectrum in a steel string? I am curious to this as well, as I find most steel strings too brash and zingy, but nylons too dull...

Thank you
Kabeer,
-The back bracing I use is indeed considered a "live" bracing pattern- which is reported to contribute more "color" to the tone of the guitar.

-The first thing we did to achieve the tone the client was after was to choose the correct wood combination. Walnut and Cedar- to both my and my client's ears- results in a nice, mellow tone (cedar in particular). Also, the client chose a very specific type of string that has a mellow tone palette. Additionally, the top was tuned in a way that gives the bass and mids more strength. And lastly, I used a maple bridge plate as opposed to the osage orange I typically use. All of these factors will help achieve the tone he's after.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Good looking guitar Chris. Cedar/walnut will sound great. Loving the neck too, I think myrtle accents are a cool choice.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:13 AM

Everything..the previously completed one, the design, the wood choices, and the sound profile goal, is extremely appealing.
Curious about the string choice?
I suspect this is one people would particularly appreciate hearing a sound sample once completed.

Last edited by Ct20; 02-26-2018 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop