The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
Find a nice, vintage, beat-up but serviceable Guild D-25, D-35, D-40 or D-50.

Look for one with cracks, headstock repairs, dents and all manner of cosmetic issues, which can often be found for $400-$600.

If you close your eyes and just listen for the tone, you will realize that the '70's era Westerly Guilds can go toe to toe with anything that anyone brings to a festival.
I was really impressed with a 90s Guild D4-NT that I played a while back. It was less than $400, a steal for a solid-top U.S.-made guitar. I think it's similar to the D-25 spec-wise.

To the OP, there's no shame in a Blueridge. They exist for those of us who play bluegrass but can't afford a Martin (like me) or don't want to ding one up.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:20 PM

+1 used/vintage Guild D-35. Jmo: prefer '78 Guild to '88 D-28p Martin for bluegrass.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 09-13-2017, 01:43 PM

Todd makes a good point. I tried a number of Martin substitutes for gig and festival guitars. Ultimately, they all left me a little cold. In fairness, most of them sound good, or even great, in a solo situation. But, if you need to be heard in an aggressive group, you'll typically need a lighter built guitar like a Martin or Collings. With the cost of the Blueridge BR-160A or BR-180A, or the Eastman E20D, being fairly low, it won't break the bank to give it a try. I suspect you'll be missing your Collings after the first festival.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:03 AM

My main guitar is a beat up 20 year old Sigma SDR-28. I have no problem with it in a Bluegrass jam. I was in Guitar Center the other day and they had a cheap solid top Yamaha for less than $150 that was a cannon and had great tone. I would have bought it but wouldn't have been able to afford the resulting hospital bill if I had gotten caught trying to sneak it into the house.

I have played a variety of guitars in jams over the years, many, if not most of them sub $500 guitars, and have never really had a problem.

I've also been in jams where people had very high dollar instruments that were almost inaudible. I really don't think it's the guitar as much as it is the player. I play LOUD. However, I will acknowledge that Loud does not necessarily equate with Good,
Old 09-14-2017, 08:51 AM

I find it comical that the "If it ain't a Martin, it ain't bluegrass" mentality is still so prevalent around bluegrass festivals and jams! There are so many great guitars(dreads) out there, that DO cut it in jams! I played a '72 Yamaha at SPBGMA a few years ago that was an amazing guitar and the owner said it cost him $400! I'm starting to see more Taylors being played every time I go to a festival and my 810 will hang all day long! I am in no way saying that Martins aren't good guitars. If I ever found a Martin that had a neck that played as good as a Taylor, I'd buy one, but every one I've ever played didn't feel good while playing it! You don't have to have a high-end boutique guitar or a Martin to pick bluegrass! I've been playing bluegrass for 13-14 years and my biggest turn off at every festival I go to is instrument snobs who look down on anyone not playing a Martin or something high dollar! I've had so many snide comments made to me because I don't play one, and I just don't get it! I love a good sounding and playing acoustic guitar, whether it's a $7,000 Bourgeois or $600 Taylor 110!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 09-14-2017, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

There have been a lot of great suggestions so far. Here's one I'd like to throw out because it's a heck of a bargain. The Martin Custom D that they make exclusively for Guitar Center. 100% solid wood, made in Nazareth and it sounds like an American Martin should sound like. $1199.00 new with a Martin hardshell case. Or you can regularly find new ones for about the same price as a good quality Pac-Rim offering. Here's a link to a used one one eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Custo...EAAOSwjRpZWmAB
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-15-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
....The Martin Custom D that they make exclusively for Guitar Center. 100% solid wood, made in Nazareth and it sounds like an American Martin should sound like. $1199.00 new with a Martin hardshell case....
Excellent suggestion. And, gig ready.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post
hi,

I'm new to bluegrass but very committed to jam camps and local jams etc., at least if I can get to be decent. Having suddenly realized that there's a reason that bluegrassers all play dreads I now have a gorgeous used but immaculate Collings, which is great for pushing me to play more and better, but I would hate to do something stupid to it at jam camp.

There was thread on this forum a while back about what to take to a jam camp or festival. I totally get the "what you are saving if for" argument (yolo?), and thought that's what I would think. But I also know that it's nice not to have to worry TOO much about instruments.

So I wonder if there are suggestions for a good jam-camp dreadnought, especially if I can find one used. Based on that comparison video the Eastman D10 seems like a good bet, and I hear good things about the Blueridge. I started with a Seagull S6, and loved it, but that was a long time ago and before I ever tried a flatpick; would it work for bluegrass?

Thanks.

will
100% use your Collings. That's why you bought it. If you don't feel scared about driving around in a 20,30,50,$75,000 car don't be worried about dinging a 3K guitar. Just play it, enjoy it and it will sound awesome at those jams.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion