The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-09-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
I'm late to this "party", but why mess with success. The Blackface Princeton Reverb is unbeatable. The most useable 12 watts in amplifier history!
That's what I was going to say. I absolutely love my reissue, but here's hoping the op is smitten with his choice.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryzer View Post
That's what I was going to say. I absolutely love my reissue, but here's hoping the op is smitten with his choice.
Nothing wrong with a good AC15. That is my main amp, but for versatility and just plain "mojo".................Blackface Princeton Reverb!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:35 AM

Most recorded amps in studio history are the Fender Champ and Princeton Reverb. With honorable mention for the Supro.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan32 View Post
So for the attenuator fans, any particar brand/model you are fans of?
Weber I have the MiniMASS and I use it all the time. Love it.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:57 PM

My favorite 15 watt tube amps are the Fender Princeton Reverb and the Ampeg Reverberocket II. I'd pick the Ampeg if I had to choose, but luckily I don't.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:03 PM

Hi Dmbfan:
There are a lot of choices out there.
I've had a lot of amps over the years. If price isn't a problem, find a Blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb, the most versatile and best sounding amp ever, (IMO)
Tiny Terror can switch from 7 to 15 watts, and it's good for home or a large room.
I just got a real fun amp, 13 watts Fender Vaporizer..........nice clean or dirty sounds and very loud.........maybe not the best for home.
Dr. Z Mini Z has an attenuator, you'll need a cab, maybe 12" speaker, but it really covers a lot of bases for quiet or loud.
Enjoy your search.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:04 PM

Yesterday, Tom Demeter showed me his latest invention.
It's called the Mini Martha, or something like that. It's about 1/3 the size of a shoe box and puts out 150 amps. Bring your ear plugs.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Yesterday, Tom Demeter showed me his latest invention.
It's called the Mini Martha, or something like that. It's about 1/3 the size of a shoe box and puts out 150 amps. Bring your ear plugs.
Is he related to James Demeter of Demeter Amplification?

Puts out 150 amps, eh?
Old 11-03-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan32 View Post
Hey everyone:

I am mainly an acoustic guitarist but got the electric bug about 2 years ago and have been loving it. I am looking to upgrade my amp. I currently use a Vox Valvetronix 40+ (modeling amp). It has worked well but now I want to move into a tube amp. I want to keep it at 15W or so as I mainly just play at the house, the occasional jam with friends, and some recording. I am playing a Les Paul with 57 Humbuckers and also have a Strat (60's re-issue). The style I typically play is mostly 90's grunge/rock (Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Weezer, Social Distortion) but also need a little variability so I can have a good clean channel. I do have a few pedals to go along (TS9, blues driver, etc).

Just wondering what everyone here would recommend. I also want to make sure I do not drive the neighbors or my wife crazy. I have it narrowed down to a few 15W amps. Its difficult with my job to get out to a store and demo them so was hoping to get an opinion vs just trusting YouTube video reviews. Here are the ones I am looking at:

1. Marshall DSL15C: heard there could be an issue getting a clean channel sound. I do like the ability to switch though between 15W and 7.5W.

2. Fender Blues Jr III: heard it has great cleans but just not sure how well it will do getting the grunge punch I will need using my pedals.

3. Vox AC15: I know this is probably the best in the group but worried that it will be much too loud for my use/purposes.

Any help or opinions would be great.

Thanks!

An awfully good solution for a small amp might be a de Lisle. See http://www.delisleguitar.com/index.php/amps. Very very high quality, and highly customizable. Not the cheapest but not too bad if you keep the option list un-crazy.

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars