The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-16-2018, 10:26 PM

Default Acoustic Distortion Pedal Ideas

What do you recommend for a good distortion pedal for my acoustics. I need something not too over the top and very musical so that the distortion or overdrive can be dialed in with more or less. I probably will leave it on for particular songs, all the way through. A tone control would be helpful in the pedal too. Thanks.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 02-17-2018, 02:53 AM

I'm also looking for something like this, together with compression, to put before my TCH Perform-VG. One pedal I consider is the new LR Baggs Align Series Session which has 3-band compression and saturation (which is a kind of overdrive I guess??).

I think I would like to be able to get a little more overdrive though, and for that the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver seems to be pretty common among acoustic guitar players, although I'm more considering some in-expensive Tube Screamer clone.

/Per

Last edited by Per Burström; 02-17-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:36 AM

Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive Mod. Has knobs for drive, tone and clean and volume, so you can dial in as much acoustic signal as you want, and push the level of distortion to your liking.

It's on my pedal board all the time. Can even be used as a boost, and has a four "drive" options.

Last edited by mikemo6string; 03-02-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Analog Man moded Maxon OD-9

It is the most musical OD/distortion pedal I have ever heard, and its controls have a very wide sweep. Great pedal.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 02-17-2018, 11:05 PM

JHS Morning Glory Transparent Over Drive is what you need. I have one. Works great. Get the booster remote too.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:38 PM

I have a few suggestions.....I’ve been down this road.

Probably my all time favorite is the Pettyjohn Lift. When off, it still buffers the signal. It has hi/low EQ knobs, which are very powerful cut style EQ. When set all the way clockwise, you get full signal. As you turn the knobs down, it cuts hi/lo respectively. This is more studio style than guitar pedal style....the idea being that cutting frequency allows just as much Tone shaping without introducing noise. The footswitch engages a boost. It is very clean, but can get a bit of hair if you let it.....perfect for acoustic. There are toggle switches which allow you to have the EQ knobs active all the time, or just when the boost is engaged. This is a GREAT pedal.

The other choice that works well is a Klon style pedal. My favorite is the J Rocket Archer Ikon. Set the gain low, volume and tone to taste. This gives you everything from a clean boost to full on overdrive.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:13 PM

Fullrive III is ridiculously versatile. I use distorted acoustic tones for slide guitar when I play full-time blues sets and it's been my pedal of choice for years.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:12 PM

I've experimented with overdrive/distortion on my acoustic with mixed results. How do those of you who do it manage the feedback issue? And do you achieve it through an electric amp or trough an "acoustic" combo or PA speaker?

Louis
Old 02-20-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Burström View Post
I'm also looking for something like this, together with compression, to put before my TCH Perform-VG. One pedal I consider is the new LR Baggs Align Series Session which has 3-band compression and saturation (which is a kind of overdrive I guess??).

I think I would like to be able to get a little more overdrive though, and for that the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver seems to be pretty common among acoustic guitar players, although I'm more considering some in-expensive Tube Screamer clone.

/Per
I use the Boss Blues Driver...I use the Level and Tone at around 12:00 to 1:00 and then keep the Gain low. Gives a nice boost on solos when looping and is relatively clean without feeding back.

Last edited by jmullen45; 02-20-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:04 PM

I use a Boss SD-1 for my acoustic. The drive goes up way past where my guitar will allow before feeding back (over 2/3), but everything under that is magic. It sounds especially good through an old tube amp.
1966 Fender Super Reverb
VVT Nighthawk

"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile." - Jerry Garcia
Old 02-27-2018, 03:21 PM

i use the zoom g3 which has a lot of overdrives and they can be edited.
i like the tangerine amp model.....kind of sweet not too much distortion
and of course you get all the other effects and stuff with it at a most reasonable price
Old 02-28-2018, 02:09 AM

Default Stomp Acoustic

¿ What are you willing to spend for this ?
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 02-28-2018, 02:15 PM

It depends on what pickup, but on my experience with my M-80 I loved the DMB Stellar drive. You have a clean knob. I am sure that any JHS pedal will work, I own the Angry Charlie and it works fantastic as well.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawchuck View Post
I have a few suggestions.....I’ve been down this road.

Probably my all time favorite is the Pettyjohn Lift. When off, it still buffers the signal. It has hi/low EQ knobs, which are very powerful cut style EQ. When set all the way clockwise, you get full signal. As you turn the knobs down, it cuts hi/lo respectively. This is more studio style than guitar pedal style....the idea being that cutting frequency allows just as much Tone shaping without introducing noise. The footswitch engages a boost. It is very clean, but can get a bit of hair if you let it.....perfect for acoustic. There are toggle switches which allow you to have the EQ knobs active all the time, or just when the boost is engaged. This is a GREAT pedal.

The other choice that works well is a Klon style pedal. My favorite is the J Rocket Archer Ikon. Set the gain low, volume and tone to taste. This gives you everything from a clean boost to full on overdrive.

Hope this helps.

I’ve come to love Pettyjohn pedals, I plug first into their PreDrive Studio which expands on the buffer and EQ features of the Lift. They don’t market to acoustic players but this is a wonderful preamp, makes my guitar sound open, warm and woody and makes every pedal after it sound better. Pricey but true console quality, they are building a reputation as the Strymon of gain.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidguevara80 View Post
It depends on what pickup, but on my experience with my M-80 I loved the DMB Stellar drive. You have a clean knob. I am sure that any JHS pedal will work, I own the Angry Charlie and it works fantastic as well.
Thanks for pointing to JHS, the Pulp 'N' Peel compressor pedal caught my interest when checking their products, with it's parallel compression and the 'Dirt' toggle... exactly the combo I am looking for in a pedal to put in front of my TC-Helicon Perform-VG!

/Per

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification