The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-30-2016, 09:04 AM

Default **** I'm dumb... Effects Loop and volume pedal

In my defense, I grew up with and mostly use Fender Black and Silverface amps, and almost only use a tasteful mild overdrive and your basic surf/spy/blues pedals . No need for it when I did have an amp with one. So I never spent any time trying to understand the effects loop on any amp I've had that has one.

Well I'm waiting for an amp to arrive, and it has an effects loop, so I figured I'd research it and came upon Phil McKnight's video. He's no Chappers or Captain Lee, and totally poops the bed on the first part of the video and is confusing as can be in his analogies. You get it, but it should have been scripted .

Starting at 2:50 or so he demonstrates something that I'm sure many of you knew but was mind-blowing to this particular Luddite. inserting a volume pedal into the effects loop to get all that preamp hotness without blowing out the windows. Very cool.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:19 AM

Okay... The edited word in the title rhymed with Jam... I wasn't being obscene.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:43 PM

Yup, Ime...works like a charm...works better than an attenuator....and using a volume pedal at the end of a pedal board just before hitting a clean set amp/s. also works pretty well for the home/bedroom player. This works well for a non-master volume amp....essentially the non-master amp's volume knob then becomes the "master" volume. I use a stereo panorama volume pedal from my board to split the signal to two non-master-volume low-watt tube amps...works GREAT for my basement bedroom needs....can go from whisper quiet to roaring shaking the house and disturbing the hood.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

What the volume pedal does will depend on your new amp. On my JVM that has gain, and preamp and master volume knobs that are sequential in the circuit, a volume pedal would just replace the master volume knob, perhaps a convenience but no tone effect - most of the crunch comes from the gain, and the rest from overdriving the power section that you can only do with great loudness (other than perhaps by using an attenuator after the power amp, which I've never tried). Play with it and see.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 05-30-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
What the volume pedal does will depend on your new amp. On my JVM that has gain, and preamp and master volume knobs that are sequential in the circuit, a volume pedal would just replace the master volume knob, perhaps a convenience but no tone effect - most of the crunch comes from the gain, and the rest from overdriving the power section that you can only do with great loudness (other than perhaps by using an attenuator after the power amp, which I've never tried). Play with it and see.
Yeah. This amp is no big shakes. Just traded some unused gear for a hybrid. So it'll be quite straightforward. Still working on getting a killer tube amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars