The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-12-2014, 03:00 PM

Default My Warm Up Exercise (TAB Included)

Recently, I stumbled upon this video that talks about finger stretching as a warm up for guitar. This video has been so helpful, that it inspired me to write a warm up exercise that wasn't too hard to remember, but also very effective. I would definitely suggest checking out that video. At first, it may seem a bit geeky and over-the-top, but trust me, if you make it a daily habit, you will see tremendous results. I wouldn't say that it has improved my playing, but it has made playing so much more comfortable for me. Anyway, what is your warm up exercise? I have been thinking about this topic a lot recently and I wanted to see what you guys had to say about it.

Here is the exercise that I came up with in two different octaves:

Old 04-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Most fingerstyle songs contain material you could consider practice material if you dissected it out. I suggest mainly spending time practicing on actual tunes and learning them well.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-13-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Most fingerstyle songs contain material you could consider practice material if you dissected it out. I suggest mainly spending time practicing on actual tunes and learning them well.
This piece of advice was given by Tommy Emmanuel - it is this that has taken my playing to the next level! Just practice songs! Doesn't get boring either - I've come from an electric guitar background, having done the whole running scales and arps to death!

As a result of using actual songs as technique practice, my technique has improved, so has my musicality, my repertoire is larger AND I instantly know the application of certain 'licks' within song structure!
Old 04-13-2014, 02:09 AM

Every player has his own warm up exercises..sometimes they are musical pieces other they are just exercises.
To me there is much difference because everything we play it should be treated as music no matter if it is a part of a piece or a repeated pattern.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:58 AM

Thanks Cameron for posting - I appreciate your posting it. Posts like yours add value to this forum.

1976 Martin N-20, Classical
2001 Martin OM-42 Limited Edition #43 of 50;
2002 Martin 000-17s from sayheyjeff;
2003 Martin UMGF custom 00-18VS #24;
2014 Greenridge custom OMC BRW 12 fret;
2013 Custom OMC narrow body Koa/Spruce/Maple from Saigon;

For Sale:
2004 Martin OMC-28 LJ #96

2010 BMW K1300GT touring motorcycle, for when I'm not playing

Last edited by Boone; 04-13-2014 at 03:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-13-2014, 06:40 AM

Thanks for posting - I tried it! I have a similar short "warm up" exercise with string crossings - for me it doesn't really warm up my fingers but it always feels good to play it when I'm getting started .. What -does- warm my left hand up is practicing ascending slurs (hammer ons)
Old 04-13-2014, 04:55 PM

You are both very welcome! I am very glad that you enjoyed my post!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write