The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-11-2014, 01:00 AM

Default Help figuring out chords from these videos

7 months in and now that I have a fairly good understanding of chords (all the basic open chords and a good chunk barre chords) I've been trying to play by ear or watch videos and try to figure out hand movements. However, two songs that I'm working on, I can't quit figure out.

The intro bass line isn't too bad but once he starts getting into the chords, they start to get unfamiliar after 0:30. I think he may be using some jazzy chords that I'm not familiar with.

This one I'm not in a huge hurry to figure out since his fingers are a lot easier to follow. Some of the chords don't sound quite quite right so you're welcome to take a crack at helping me out with some of these.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:38 AM

For example the first song.

Start with the bassline which he plays very clearly at the beginning:

Bass notes are: B E A and C# F F#

then there is that leading chord he does before he starts to sing. I guess it is something like F#7/A#

Then the chords for the singing part.

Bm7 E11 Amaj7
C#Maj7 F7b9 F#m9 and then the F#7/A# and it repeats after that.

I am not yet totally used to this kind of music (more like rock guy) but there is a ot ii-V-I in rock and pop music also.

Amajor / F#m key center.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:45 AM

And if you need to ask from the forum and you don't have much idea I guess you've spent your 7 months maybe not the best way... Start with simple songs.

Basic skill what every technically ok guitar player (can play chord shapes and basic fingerpicking) should be able to do is to learn any basic song structure by ear without spending days to figure it out. More like minutes. Start with easy and progress to more demanding. Good luck.

I think it would be nice if people who ask these solutions for the songs tell what they got so far. Then we can see what you might be listening wrong and give you hints to improve and fix your errors. There is no use to repeat errors time after time. Learn from errors but once only. If twice it might be accident. Third time might be stupidity already

Edit: Sorry I read wrong. You have understanding of the chords not ear training yet. Well you need to understand the chords from ear training perspective.

Last edited by TomiPaldanius; 04-12-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomiPaldanius View Post
For example the first song.

Start with the bassline which he plays very clearly at the beginning:

Bass notes are: B E A and C# F F#

then there is that leading chord he does before he starts to sing. I guess it is something like F#7/A#

Then the chords for the singing part.

Bm7 E11 Amaj7
C#Maj7 F7b9 F#m9 and then the F#7/A# and it repeats after that.

I am not yet totally used to this kind of music (more like rock guy) but there is a ot ii-V-I in rock and pop music also.

Amajor / F#m key center.
Thanks! The baseline I had but the singing part worked out really nicely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomiPaldanius View Post
And if you need to ask from the forum and you don't have much idea I guess you've spent your 7 months maybe not the best way... Start with simple songs.

Basic skill what every technically ok guitar player (can play chord shapes and basic fingerpicking) should be able to do is to learn any basic song structure by ear without spending days to figure it out. More like minutes. Start with easy and progress to more demanding. Good luck.

I think it would be nice if people who ask these solutions for the songs tell what they got so far. Then we can see what you might be listening wrong and give you hints to improve and fix your errors. There is no use to repeat errors time after time. Learn from errors but once only. If twice it might be accident. Third time might be stupidity already

Edit: Sorry I read wrong. You have understanding of the chords not ear training yet. Well you need to understand the chords from ear training perspective.

Yes you're right. I should've mentioned what I had so far. I had the bassline for the way but forgot to mention it. My ear training needs a bit of work. Ive got the chord shapes but I still need to practice identifying what certain chords sound like so I can just spot them in songs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write