The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-07-2023, 07:36 AM

Default Thomastik CRK (treble) strings

Anyone here have experience with those supposedly hybrid material strings, esp. the trebles?

I bought the HT trebles as singles and still don't know what to think about them. They may indeed sound a little bit warmer than the Savarez Alliance HT trebles but I'm not convinced they really sound as if they're the nylon/carbon blend they're claimed to be.

I also find the tension profile rather strange: over 9kg for the 1st and much less (<7 IIRC) for the 2nd and 3rd. I think that HT 1st is a bit too heavy for my Cabaret but the others have less tension than the Rubinos I normally use and indeed sound a bit thin compared to those.

(Nylon and "carbonfluor" - PVDC if I remember correctly - are chemically incompatible so it's unlikely that Thomastik managed to blend them ... esp. since they probably don't run their own extruders.)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

Last edited by RJVB; 02-01-2024 at 07:01 AM. Reason: PDVC, PVDC... always mess those up - and I'm not even officially dyslexic...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical