The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-02-2010, 11:01 PM

Default I Can SING!!!

Well, since I started playing 4 1/2 years ago. I never wanted to sing, until now.

I volunteered to play guitar in the chapel on Andersen Air Force Base. Then I discovered that the current music leader would be out of town for the next few weeks. I volunteered to lead the music and...

I can sing!! It feels so awesome, I even play solo better now for some reason. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to pull it off. Well today (Sunday in Guam) came and....

I did it! I opened my mouth and music actually came out! I'm so stoked because this had been my Achille's heel in music since I started. But now, that heel has been conquered. And I couldn't be happier

Just wanted to share that

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 10-02-2010, 11:29 PM

Keep using and developing those talents. I watched some of yout YouTube videos - enjoyed them.

Blessings,
garyj

Martin D45, Breedlove NW, PRS Howard Leese, Ramirez 1a
Takamine EF77, Vicente Carrillo Gabriela, Yamaha LJ36, R Taylor S1
Yamaha AEX1500, Takamine H8SS, Yamaha FG, Martin 0-45S
Blackbird Rider, Martin 00-42K2 Robbie R, Yamaha CSF100K
Fender Custom Strat, Woolson Double Top Parlor
UKE'S - SCGC Koa, Collings UT3, Ko'olua Custom
Moore Bettah, Martin 5K, Kamaka, Blackbird
Old 10-02-2010, 11:43 PM

I can sing too...... just off key. I know it's off I just can't quite fix it.

Enjoy your talents! I'm envious.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 AM
happiness

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your excitement

Fliss
Old 10-03-2010, 04:22 AM

Congrats Will.
I wish i had the courage to sing. Over the last 8 months or so, i can feel something missing in my playing. Deep down inside i know what it is.
I need to start singing, i do not know why i feel so afraid to even try.
Maybe one day.......[sigh]
Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Me

That's great Will. I did something similar. That microphone is so scary.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 AM

I will sing as an excuse to play guitar, but I'd feel overexposed to be the center of attention. I like being a sideman, and maybe background vocals in support.

Back in the sixties during the Folk Music Scare it didn't bother me as much as it does now. 'Course, back then the audiences were largely unarmed.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Good for you, Will! Singing is a great release, it feels so good to belt it out, especially when you feel you can do justice to a song, and even moreso if folks respond favorably. Although my singing (and guitar playing) has improved over the years, I've never particularly cared for the sound of my voice when I hear it recorded (small home studio). But from the get-go 32+ years ago, I couldn't help my self from doing it even for the longest time from the confines of my home.

As we know, the voice is an instrument and gets better with practice. I never really practiced my voice for the longest time, just light singing. In 1996 after 20 years of playing and singing this way, for some reason I finally figured out how to breathe to get the power to get the most out of my voice. It changed my confidence tremendously to sing in front of others. For some time now, I have no problem belting out a tune the best I can -- even if only as a campfire hack.

I'm really no one to give singing advice and perhaps you're a natural at it, but if not, I suggest that even if you have to take a few lessons to learn the techniques of breathing and managing your air output to get the most out of your voice, in my opinion, this would be the single most important thing you can do to realize a big improvement quickly. It took me 20 years to figure that out.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:27 AM

You are already a formidable player--now that you've begun to sing, there'll be no holding you back. Hope you post some of your vocals soon!

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic