The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-19-2023, 09:46 PM

Default I'm excited! Going back to school so to speak

I'm excited! Over 30 years ago I took lessons from a guitar instructor, but after I got married, and focused on building a business, I sadly dropped playing. I could kick myself, but it is what it is.

Anyway, picked it up again and bought a new guitar a couple of years ago. I feel like I'm pretty much back where I was 30 years ago, and perhaps even better. And I'm retired so I have a lot more free time.

But something's missing and I think that is a weekly goal, someone to help me progress faster, and constructive criticism. And unlike my past I seem to have an urge to write some of my own songs, as now that I understand music theory better, it's not as difficult as I used to think it was.

Same instructor is around and we are starting back up Thursday. Oh did I say I was excited?!
Old 09-20-2023, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
I'm excited! Over 30 years ago I took lessons from a guitar instructor, but after I got married, and focused on building a business, I sadly dropped playing. I could kick myself, but it is what it is.

Anyway, picked it up again and bought a new guitar a couple of years ago. I feel like I'm pretty much back where I was 30 years ago, and perhaps even better. And I'm retired so I have a lot more free time.

But something's missing and I think that is a weekly goal, someone to help me progress faster, and constructive criticism. And unlike my past I seem to have an urge to write some of my own songs, as now that I understand music theory better, it's not as difficult as I used to think it was.

Same instructor is around and we are starting back up Thursday. Oh did I say I was excited?!
Great news! Let us know how it goes!
Old 09-20-2023, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Great news! Let us know how it goes!
Sure will. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 09-20-2023, 10:31 AM

Congrats. I love my playing lessons although I take it a little overboard with weekly singing, guitar and piano lessons. Best part of the lessons is teh feedback I get which helps me correct mistakes.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 09-21-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
Congrats. I love my playing lessons although I take it a little overboard with weekly singing, guitar and piano lessons. Best part of the lessons is teh feedback I get which helps me correct mistakes.

I could see myself doing the same. I wouldn't mind learning piano. This instructor also teaches piano aiong with four other instruments.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:32 AM

Update: Had my first lesson. Went well and it was great seeing my instructor after 30 years. I had a list of all things I want to work on as in weak points etc. and left it at home. However as we can't work on them all at once I did remember at least once which we are addressing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write