The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2017, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Default interesting talk, Rig Rundown, Eric Johnson

gems in this conversation

Old 10-23-2017, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

I watched this video before my son and I went to see Eric Johnson in Seattle at Jazz Alley some months ago. The sound on the video is very typical of what we heard live. Eric put on a very good show.

I noticed in listening to Eric Johnson play live that there was some of that Tommy Emmanuel sound in the live sound from those Maton piezo pickups. They seem, at least to my ears, to have a very characteristic sound that I have heard from Tommy live. Compared to most piezo pickups, I am impressed with the live sound Maton gets. Generally, I am not a fan of straight piezo pickups unless they go through a Fishman Aura pedal, and of course that pedal changes everything.

I also heard Eric in the past play his D-35 through a Fishman Aura at the University of Washington in Seattle, and I thought he sounded great, but Eric through the Maton guitar and pickups also sounded very good.

His guitar sound was quite loud and it tended to overpower his voice on many of his songs. I thought the soundman could have done better, but I am guessing that Eric likes the Maton and its pickups because he wanted more volume from his guitar. So the soundman's hands may have been somewhat tied.

- Glenn
Old 10-24-2017, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Daryl, great interview. Nice it see our Aussie Maton guitars in the hands of another phenomenal guitarist.

I was impressed too by the sound that eh got from his "$180" Takamine guitar.
I've been gassing for a nylon string; I hope I can find one that sounds as good as EJ's for that price!

Col
Old 10-24-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
gems in this conversation

It's a wonderful interview with EJ, indeed.

Of course, note if you will the proper position assumed by the interviewer--kneeling in obeisance before a guitar god. Grin.

Last edited by Inyo; 10-24-2017 at 04:57 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion