The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2015, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Looking for V-Picks Recommendations

I'd like to try maybe two or three different V-Picks, and I'm looking for recommendations on which ones would be similar my "current picks of choice".

Music is Americana/Rock/Folk, and playing is maybe 70% strumming and 30% hybrid fingerpicking.

My current three favorite picks are (in order, and pictured below L to R):
  1. Blue Chip TP-50
  2. Dunlop Primetone Large Triangle 1.4 mm with Grip
  3. Wegen TF-120
Thanks.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 11-11-2015, 09:35 AM

I would suggest the Lite Tradition or Medium/Lite Medium.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:36 AM

I find V picks to be very "quacky" sounding after owning a half dozen of them. The least and closest to your current favs that I've tried is the "jalapeno". I like the feel and responsiveness of it but it's still got the quack. Really it's probably user error as I'm pretty heavy handed.

I really like the Guitar Moose picks. They are a site sponsor. Just another option.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:29 AM

Been thru a Bunch of the V picks on the never ending quest for the ONE! Most I tried had a variety of pick noise associated with them, one the Screamer is a very fast playing pick but I found it too bright and it had a definite click to it.
I tried most of the more expensive thicker picks and the tradition was the only one that came close to my liking on acoustic. I like the 4mm thickness for comfort, but it to at times has a bit of pick noise.
The Jalapeńo which has 4 holes in it i think is a pretty good all around pick on my acoustics. Not expensive about 4 bucks. But a Dunlop Delrin in 1.14 is just as good and has NO pick noise whatsoever.
I currently have four more V's on order and will try them out one being their large round. For electric it doesn't make as much difference as pick noise is not heard much, different attack, but on acoustic it's a big deal for me.
The bes pick I have found so far overall if you don't mind dropping 35 bucks a pop is the Django Jazz Pick, made of cotton fibre and very easy playing. I love them but losing a 35 dollar pick makes me sick, and I tend to lay them down or lose them more than I like to admit, plus my dog ate one!!
So my search has been to find a reasonable alternative. Four dollars I can handle, and .25 for a Dunlop is good too.
I have put in at least 8 full hours on picks and ended up with a pile of them. The BC are good too, but same price problem for me...........
Old 11-11-2015, 11:44 AM

The one V pick I forgot to mention that I have liked for acoustic is the Dimension, it's 4mm thick and pointed but has a large bevel and plays very well. The only drawback is the 10 dollar price tag. But a nice pick and would take a very long time to wear it out, for me it's the losing it thing. Worth a try I think.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:53 AM

Being the old, mangy wolf that I am, I'm low tech and out of date on most things to a point that drives my daughters up the wall. I don't even have a cell phone. Somebody might call me. If I want to talk to someone I'll go see them.

Could someone 'splain to me what a V-Pick is and why it's better than my beloved Dunlop Ultex with the rhino?

I thought I saw something about a pick that cost $107 a copy the other day. Is this true? Why? Am I missing out on some bold new frontier of guitar playing?
Old 11-11-2015, 12:08 PM

Hey Ed,,,,If you send me your address in email I will send you some V picks that I have tried for free, they don't do me any good laying in the drawer and I am not going to use them, rather than costing a bunch trying them out......Jerry
Old 11-11-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
Being the old, mangy wolf that I am, I'm low tech and out of date on most things to a point that drives my daughters up the wall. I don't even have a cell phone. Somebody might call me. If I want to talk to someone I'll go see them.

Could someone 'splain to me what a V-Pick is and why it's better than my beloved Dunlop Ultex with the rhino?

I thought I saw something about a pick that cost $107 a copy the other day. Is this true? Why? Am I missing out on some bold new frontier of guitar playing?

SB, you ain't that old, mangy & low tech.

You're here on an internet forum!
Old 11-11-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
SB, you ain't that old, mangy & low tech.

You're here on an internet forum!
Yeah, but I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the computer era, LOL!

My youngest daughter just gave me a Kindle. I'm still figuring that out. But I did successfully load up a copy of Bram Stoker's "Dracula" for free off Amazon, so it can't be all bad.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:39 PM

Ed, my three favorite picks are the same as your three favorite picks. My fourth favorite is a V pick, but all I can tell you about it is it's shaped like TAD 3-R, that it's gray, with a 1.5 thickness, and I got it from Smoky Mountain Guitars. I think it's custom-designed for that store. I love it.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 11-12-2015, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barosborough View Post
I find V picks to be very "quacky" sounding after owning a half dozen of them.
Same here.
I love the stickiness of acrylic picks (V-Picks and Gravity) as I have dry skin they they stay put on me better than any other pick I have tried, but they are just too noisy for me so I don't use them.

My fav is D'Andrea Proplec pics. Virtually no noise and they give me a nice full round tone that I like but some people don't care for them as they are not as bright sounding as other pics.
If I could get the Proplec tone with the stickiness of acrylic that would be perfect.
I scratch the surfaces up to get a better grip on them but they still slip on me a bit.

Aaron
Old 11-12-2015, 02:55 AM

Default Hi Trion

I'm pretty new to playing guitar. One of my biggest hurdles is keeping the darn pick between my thumb and fingers. It either slides around or flys out. I do have one that someone gave me and it still moves but not as much as others. When I seen your post here and you said you like acrylic picks as it stickiness I thought oh that's it. That is what this is made of. I have gone through so many picks that don't work for me. I'm thinking now to look at just acrylic picks. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2015, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post

Yes, this is true. It is a Wolfram pick. Oh, and that is $107 BEFORE shipping costs.

http://www.wolframprecision.com/precisionstrike.php

I tried a prototype this past April when I was in England. It is a fantastic pick. If I was rich I would certainly consider getting one, but...I lose picks. It would be silly to get one. Plus, I did not have enough time to really give it a work out, so buying one on spec would be doubly silly. I sure would like to be able to use one over some time. Then...maybe...I would think about getting one and ONLY use it for, say, recording. At least there would be a chance I could hang on to it. But playing out?? Not a chance. I would lose it.

I am "old" as well, although not mangy. But I do not have a cell phone either.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 11-12-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthAveLocal View Post
I would suggest the Lite Tradition or Medium/Lite Medium.
These are my favorite V-Picks. I own three Blue chips and only use them for electric guitars. They are far too "soft" and don't have the "snap" of the V-Picks.

Let us know how you like them!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-12-2015, 08:44 AM

I tend to like the V-pick Screamer, especially for electric guitar play. However, I agree with JerryM, that pick makes a lot of click noise.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion