The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Landola??

I was at a guitar open night here in the UK last week and a guy turned up with a Landola guitar.
Handbuilt in Finland.
Solid (what looked like cedar, but could have been close grained, well aged spruce) top. Again, (what looked like), solid rosewood back and sides, mahogony neck with schaller tuners.
It was a well finished grand auditourium with cutaway and was a great, mature sounding instrument equipped with onboard Fishman electronics.
Although I have no wish to dash out and buy one, I would be interested to hear any other comments on this excellent make of instrument, that I have to say, I have never seen mentioned on our forum.

Cheers...............Brian
Old 08-08-2008, 01:36 PM

Very late reply.
I had a Landola, 12-string jumbo, some years ago. It was a high quality, mid-priced guitar. Very nice, wouldn't mind it back.
Most 6-string Landolas seem to have 1 11/16 inch nuts, which is the only thing to put me off.
They're definitely worth checking out.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:06 PM

I second Grayn's reply. I once had a Landola, a six string jumbo, and it was a great guitar for the money. Mine had back and sides of laminated birch and a spruce top (which appeared to be a four piece top).

I didn't like the 1 11/16 nut either, so when someone offered to buy it from me, I sold it. The fact that he contacted me a month after he played it, asking if he could buy it, says enough!

Regards, Peter

98 Taylor 414 E
06 self built classic
06 Larrivee OM-09 'Custom' (Madi) (since 2016)
06 Larrivee OM-09 MR (for DADGAD)
16 Fender elite stratocaster HSS
17 Recording King 'Dirty 1930's' single O

? Stagg stratocaster HSS
? Aria Sinsonido (Soloette copy)
0? self build OM in the making
Old 08-08-2008, 04:32 PM

Hi Brian

I busked all over France in the 80's in a band using a Landola jumbo. It had a nice tone but absolutely no projection so certainly not the guitar for job!!

Here is a poor quality clip of me playing the Landola in said band around that time (sound is bad and out of sync with video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBHmQJEVRy8

Never worried about guitars with thin necks even for fast fingerstyle

Cheers
Ray
Old 08-09-2008, 01:35 AM

Hi Brian

Here is another one with the landola which might be a bit better, the same sort of era!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_DGU...eature=related

My brother has still got the guitar but it has lived in his loft for the last 15 or so years!

Cheers
Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion