The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-28-2015, 04:39 PM

Default Should I or Shouldn't I?

I have a 1985 U.S.A. Strat that I rarely play anymore. I've gone to the acoustic side. In fact I don't even own an amp anymore.

I have an older son who is a university student who would love to have an electric guitar but he can't afford it. I was planning on passing this guitar down to him as an inheritance but I'm thinking he could use it sooner rather than later.

I'm undecided if I want to part with it now, but again, I rarely, if ever, play it so why keep it. I could sell it and put the money towards a nicer acoustic but that wasn't the original plan.

What to do??
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 12-28-2015, 04:49 PM

My 2 cents here. I have given various guitars and amps to friends over the years, and the joy I get from seeing them enjoy them is something you can't put a price on.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 12-28-2015, 05:09 PM

Default Should I or Shouldn't I?

It would be a no brainer for me. Give it to your son.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:41 PM

What they said...
Old 12-28-2015, 05:56 PM

I agree--I'd rather my son play my old Strat than a stranger who gave me money for it.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombras View Post
I agree--I'd rather my son play my old Strat than a stranger who gave me money for it.
Amen to that. Pass it on now, and watch him enjoy it.

Oh, and buy him an amp too, if he doesn't have one already
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-28-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
It would be a no brainer for me. Give it to your son.
What Andromeda said, and get him a small amp.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:49 PM

Now is the time to present this to your son. Watch his face light up and enjoy the moment. Seeing the joy and smile on his face is something you will carry with you the rest of your life. I'd rather see their smiles now than imagine what they will be after I am gone.

I've got a few guitars that have already been shared with family and a few more promised along with other musical equipment.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:08 PM

Well, I did it.

It brought him to tears. A little emotional for me too. He kept asking me "are you sure, are you sure"? It totally blew him away. I told him that I had no use for it anymore so he may as well make use of it. So to him this isn't just an electric guitar. It's his dad's guitar. Something he said he would never sell. I told him I would appreciate that.

All is good.

By the way, he does have a keyboard amp which will have to do for now. He also has a preamp that plugs into a computer to play around with however that works.

I guess I need to update my signature now.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 12-28-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
Well, I did it. It brought him to tears. A little emotional for me too. He kept asking me "are you sure, are you sure"? It totally blew him away. I told him that I had no use for it anymore so he may as well make use of it. So to him this isn't just an electric guitar. It's his dad's guitar. Something he said he would never sell. I told him I would appreciate that.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:44 AM

Very well done! I've been trying to give my guitars to my children for years but still waiting for them to take up the electric guitar...

Here's a nice little amp that I just grabbed for my wife to doodle on:
http://www.adorama.com/BLIDCORE10.ht...iate.cj.552179
Old 12-29-2015, 04:47 AM

give it to him - a gesture of love is far more valuable than a piece of wood and metal
Old 12-29-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
Well, I did it.

It brought him to tears. A little emotional for me too. He kept asking me "are you sure, are you sure"? It totally blew him away. I told him that I had no use for it anymore so he may as well make use of it. So to him this isn't just an electric guitar. It's his dad's guitar. Something he said he would never sell. I told him I would appreciate that.

All is good.

By the way, he does have a keyboard amp which will have to do for now. He also has a preamp that plugs into a computer to play around with however that works.

I guess I need to update my signature now.
What a great story, Wooly. I was going to recommend "give it to your son" as well. It's something he'll always treasure ... and play as well.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:10 AM

I have a 9 year old son, who played guitar with me at church starting when he was 6. He has just recently lost interest and not played in about 3 months

If my 9 year old said, "Daddy, I want your telecaster to start playing guitar again", I would give it to him without a 2nd thought and simply tell him, give it back if you change your mind.

The big difference I see is you have a college son, so you won't see how the guitar is treated or if it is ever pawned to fund some other behavior. You just have to ask yourself if you trust him or not (is he mature enough to recognize what he is getting). If you do, why make him wait before giving the "inheritance"? He can get a lot more years out of it if you give it to him now.'

Edit:

I read the rest of the thread! Awesome.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:13 AM

That's awesome. I gave my grandson my FSR Copperburst Telecaster a couple of years back and he asked the same thing, "are you sure,are you sure?"
The money I could have gotten out of it was not even a consideration no matter how much or how little. We enjoy playing together and he loves the Tele.
You can't buy that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars