The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-02-2023, 10:10 AM

There's an old saying that I repeat a lot: We're all self-taught, some of us just had more help with that than others.

As the OP points out in asking the question, the practice (even in a garage with a mix of technical skills in the other players) is key. Particularly in ensemble work, solo practice, even with a teacher, has limits. Playing with others is very important.

As to the lack of lessons being mentioned in biographies and documentaries. We have a cultural romantic notion of art that likes to stress inborn, natural talent or remarkable inspiration for art. This is a large part of the reason for lessons/teachers being glossed over.

As some have mentioned up thread, it isn't just formal degree program lessons that teach. Lots of informal instruction. goes on. Even in garages. In my youth, young folks actually sang in public restrooms or stairwells for example (they liked the reverb). Not busking, just learning to sing harmony.

As to OPs follow up question, how did they get the courage to go ahead and do what they did? Some of that is personality, some of it was mood altering chemicals, some of it was overwhelming desire to be liked/loved. With Afro-American singers (and others too) a lot of it was spiritual: lots of R&B singers came up through gospel and church singing. That last one is a big subject I'll leave at that.

Final thought, attributed to Miles Davis: "Sometimes it takes a long time to learn how to sound like yourself." If the OP is asking these questions because they want to sing, and aren't sure they can, this is the journey you start.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-02-2023, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Catholic grade school, had to sing at mass or get whacked with a stick.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

I learned to sing in school and in church, but I also learned by singing with the radio or with my dad's stereo. Once I started playing the guitar, I was singing all the time.

Some people grow up singing, many don't. My wife used to sing lullabies to our children every night, and our kids started learning to sing harmony with her during that time. Some people grow up wanting to make their own music. I hired my high school son to cut blackberries one summer on our property and he was out there working and singing for quite a few hours every day.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write