The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-23-2023, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Chord Melody Vs Fingerstyle

Some recent threads have me thinking more about solo playing. I prefer playing alone most of the time and over the years have spend increasing amounts of time playing both fingerstyle and chord melody (not at the same time obviously lol).

I've been reflecting lately on the similarities and differences between the two styles and would appreciate the thoughts of others on the subject. I'm hoping new perspectives/information on the subject might be another way to improve my playing.

Differences that immediately come to mind for me... 1) Unless hybrid picking, chord melody doesn't allow for striking 2 strings simultaneously; 2) similarly, at least for me, slightly more complicated strumming patterns are easier with a pick than a thumbpick or fingers.

At the risk of muddying my post further - would you agree that cross picking can be a form of chord melody playing?

Generally speaking with a given song (say a Paul Simon tune, etc.), which would you prefer to listen to a well played finger style version or a well played chord melody version?

Last edited by sprucetophere; 07-23-2023 at 05:59 PM. Reason: e
Old 07-23-2023, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetophere View Post
1) Unless hybrid picking, chord melody doesn't allow for striking 2 strings simultaneously
The term "chord melody" does not necessarily mean the same thing to everybody, but the general consensus is that it is a way of playing solo in which the melody is on top and is supported by harmony underneath. It can involve a pick or not. You CAN strike two or more strings simultaneously playing chord melody with fingers.

[/QUOTE]2) similarly, at least for me, slightly more complicated strumming patterns are easier with a pick than a thumbpick or fingers.[/QUOTE]

I guess that depends on whether you are more facile with a pick or with a thumbpick or fingers.

[/QUOTE]At the risk of muddying my post further - would you agree that cross picking can be a form of chord melody playing?[/QUOTE]

I would not.

[/QUOTE]Generally speaking with a given song (say a Paul Simon tune, etc.), which would you prefer to listen to a well played finger style version or a well played chord melody version?[/QUOTE]

I would prefer to listen to the better version.
Old 07-23-2023, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

It's really hard to put labels on things that everyone will agree on. "Chord Melody" usually refers to a jazz style involving block chords with the melody on top. Kind of a style from the 40's or 50s. But taken literally, I guess it's chords+melody and could be done a lot of ways., with a pick, with fingers, hybrid, you name it. So you have to ask what someone means by it.

"Fingerstyle" is even harder to define. Technically, it means you play with your fingers. Jeff Beck played "fingerstyle", so did Joe Pass, and Segovia, and Andy McKee, on and on - all very different musical styles. Fingerstyle also can mean a genre, which depending on your taste could be anything from Blind Blake to Chet Atkins to Alexandr Miskos.

I did an online lesson recently on my version of When You Wish Upon a Star where I first taught it as "chord melody", just block chords, under a melody. No moving voices, no separate bass lines, and so on. With that approach down, then I just "loosen up" and play arpeggiated notes, a few transitions between bass notes, and suddenly it sounds more like what I'd call "fingerstyle" in the genre sense. Basically, my fretting hand doesn't change much, if at all, but how I pick the notes with my picking hand is different. I'm sort of thinking about the melody and the chords I'm putting under it - so thinking "chord melody"? But not playing them as a block, and using my fingers, so fingerstyle?

I think the real answer is to play music and not worry too much about categorizing it.
Old 07-23-2023, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Pick or Fingers

Thanks for the education Doug. That clears it up considerably for me and makes me realize what I was trying to ask is whether for me playing solo with a pick can provide as (for lack of a better term) full of a sound as playing solo with fingers?

And, what other considerations might be relevant in deciding between using a pick or fingers, if one's goal is strictly solo playing? Of course individual tastes and preferences are always part of the equation - that's a given. I'm referring to the other "stuff".

Thanks
Old 07-23-2023, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Chord meloldy = playing a melody line with block chord support underneath.
Fingerstyle = pattern picking (say Travis or some other arpeggio) with or without some persistent melody lines.

Of course the above is a rough generalization as for example fingerstyle pieces often incorporate some block chording.
Then there can be the playing of scales (or extended single note runs of some type) in both styles (more common in jazz).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 07-23-2023 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2023, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetophere View Post
Thanks for the education Doug. That clears it up considerably for me and makes me realize what I was trying to ask is whether for me playing solo with a pick can provide as (for lack of a better term) full of a sound as playing solo with fingers?
Hard to say in general. If you think about it logically, thumb+3 fingers should be able to create a lot more sound, or at least more complexity, with separate moving lines and so on, than a single pick. But there are plenty of flatpickers who can demonstrate that that's not necessarily true!

Plus, more isn't always better. There can be an elegance to even a very simple chord melody piece - you might like it better than a complex classical or fingerpicking piece. Just a matter of taste.

Quote:
And, what other considerations might be relevant in deciding between using a pick or fingers, if one's goal is strictly solo playing?
I'd say it's a matter of what you want to play - what do you hear (or what songs by others do you want to play)? The music comes first, then you figure out what technique is needed to create it.
Old 07-24-2023, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Must you choose between the two?

Currently, I do both. Actually 3 types b/c I've also been learning to hybrid pick, which I really like. So I can flatpick solo, use only fingers, or hybrid pick. All of this can work although I prefer either fingers or hybrid picking for "chord melody" (e.g. Misty, Autumn Leaves).

I go online to hear and watch others, and they play in a mix of these styles.

As Doug notes, most wouldn't think that using only a pick would yield a very good song but there are players who have shown us that it can work.

But I don't see why you wouldn't just try them both. As has been pointed out, start with the songs and something about a style that you wish to play and then try the picking styles to see which fits.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 07-24-2023, 01:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Fingerstyle = pattern picking (say Travis or some other arpeggio) with or without some persistent melody lines.

Of course the above is a rough generalization as for example fingerstyle pieces often incorporate some block chording.
Then there can be the playing of scales (or extended single note runs of some type) in both styles (more common in jazz).
Derek, that's really intriguing. I Travis pick to accompany a few songs in my present set (Speed of the Sound of Loneliness, Pancho and Lefty, Clay Pigeons, Boots of Spanish Leather, If I needed You, Ar Lan Y Mor) and I wouldn't class that rhythmic pattern alt bass style as "fingerstyle" playing. I would term it "fingerpicking". Yes, there are instrumental breaks in each of those songs when I perform them but they are underpinned by the alt bass.

I would see this type of "pattern picking", based on the playing of Merle Travis, as being different from "fingerstyle" playing, as Travis picking is distinct and formulaic - and associated with singing songs.

I would certainly call what I do "fingerpicking" but not "fingerstyle", which to me is a far more free flowing way of playing solo guitar instrumental pieces, rather than the rhythmic song accompaniment (with licks, fills, walk ups and breaks) of fingerpicking.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 07-24-2023 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2023, 01:26 AM

Finger style is plucked liked classical but chord melody is played with a pick. Plus the songs are usually different. Otherwise its the same idea, a few single notes and a few chords.
Old 07-24-2023, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
That's how I'd summarise it too. To open it out a little more:

Chord melody = always solo and instrumental. Removes the need for a singer, as well as for any other instrumental backing. As "complete solo guitar performance" it's analogous to classical guitar, although the technique has important differences.
It can be played with a pick (hybrid, sometimes partially strummed) or without (fingerstyle). And on nylon or steel string, and acoustic or electric. (In its home genre of jazz, of course, it's usually steel-string electric.)

Fingerstyle = very broad term covering all ways of playing the quitar without using a pick, usually in contrast with strumming. Includes classical guitar. Includes chord melody, if that's played without a pick! And obviously includes the rock playing of Mark Knopfler, Jeff Beck, Derek Trucks and so on.

In terms of technique - staying with acoustic guitar - I draw a primary distinction between "classical" (academic) and "folk-blues-country" (vernacular).

I.e, we could delineate three main traditions; (1) classical, (2) folk, (3) jazz (chord melody).

And then some other distinctions within (2), the vernacular traditions.
E.g. "Travis picking" aka "alternating bass" (common in folk and country), versus the blues styles of players like Big Bill Broonzy (single damped bass strings, rather than alternating bass).

Of course, the vernacular traditions are almost aways used for song accompaniment, very rarely for solo instrumental performances - although a lot of beginner pieces are song accompaniments converted to instrumentals (Freight Train being the most famous).
The exceptions to song accompaniment come mostly from the ragtime (piano) tradition, guitarists like Blind Blake or Rev Gary Davis recording guitar instrumentals in ragtime style.

Naturally, there are blurred boundaries between all of these - in particular artists as well as specific pieces. Once one has some fingerstyle technique, one can generally cross all those boundaries: play a classical piece as easily as a chord melody jazz standard, or a blues tune on electric.

Last edited by JonPR; 07-24-2023 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-24-2023, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Finger style is plucked liked classical but chord melody is played with a pick. Plus the songs are usually different. Otherwise its the same idea, a few single notes and a few chords.
No, not true. A pick may or may not be used in chord melody playing. Probably most don't.
example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAAbQWAYW3s

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 07-24-2023 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-24-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Finger style is plucked liked classical but chord melody is played with a pick.
Not necessarily. I mean, "fingerstyle" obviously means played with the fingers (!), but chord melody can be too. In fact I would usually play chord melody with fingers.
Quote:
Plus the songs are usually different.
Usually, yes, in that chord melody - traditionally - is a jazz style, so most commonly applied to the old jazz standards, as exemplified by Joe Pass.

But it's easily applied to any song - although it's most effective in songs which have interesting chord changes, as well as interesting melodies. That's why it works well with a lot of Beatles songs.
Quote:
Otherwise its the same idea, a few single notes and a few chords.
Well, yes. You're describing the vast majority of western music in all styles there!
Old 07-24-2023, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

As a singer songwriter, I like to sometimes incorporate chord melodies, played as part of an instrumental bridge before I start back in with the vocal. You can do this with either playing finger style, using a pick, or a style of hybrid picking.
As far as your question goes Doug, arranging is an art form and I have heard beautiful examples of both fingerstyle and chord melody played pieces and I have heard examples that have been lifeless. Chord melodies and fingerstyle motifs are like seasoning, finding the right amount to use can make something absolutely scrumptious, the wrong amount and it can be unpalatable.
Best,
Jayne
Old 07-24-2023, 01:53 PM

Coming from a jazz background, it simply means playing the melody on top of chords.

Its guitar player speak...nobody plays chord melody on piano. They call it "playing the piano."

Chord melody can be solo or with a band. Once you start adding in basslines and such, it becomes a more "solo guitar" thing.

So like, Wes playing "I've grown Accustomed to Her Face"-- chord melody. Joe Pass' Virtuoso, solo guitar.

Pick or fingers has nothing to do with it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 07-24-2023, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

I like what Robert Conti says on one of his DVDs - guitar players call it chord melody, while piano players just call it music.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write