The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-09-2023, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardN View Post
I'm curious as to how most of you who create your own music document it. I'm focused on solo guitar without singing but interested in hearing from anyone willing to share no matter what genre.

I can read notated music and tab. And I'm pretty good at coming up with some new stuff, but it's hard to remember it the next day. Writing out notes seems tedious as does writing out tab.

What do you all do?
Hi RichardN…
Whether it's a vocally driven song I'm writing, or an instrumental, I record it on my Zoom H1n, and then turn out a chord chart.

I transfer the recording to my Computer…I upload it to a Dropbox folder of recordings of ideas, and I can access it and play it back via my phone, tablet or computer.

I'm guessing I could make it a movie file as well (never needed that).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-10-2023, 03:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
Could you share a little about that last sentence? I don't see the neccesity of singing for learning music, so am interested about the reasoning behind that.

Thank you.
Floyd
Floyd,
I'll risk a guess on what Jack is referring to, and I totally agree with it:-)

If I'm out mowing the lawn, or driving somewhere, and I have a musical idea floating around my head, it 'presents itself' (in my head) silently, or out loud, as singing!

It doesn't mean that you have to be good at singing. Although I am a rudimentary singer at best, I can still get the melody across, when I'm humming, or do-do-do-doing, or whatever noise gets the rhythm & melody across.

I don't see a bunch of lines & notes floating around in the ether. I've always told my students, and anyone who's bemoaned not being able to break the tablature addiction, this: If you can't sing it in your head, you can't play it on guitar without looking at 'the instructions'. And if you have to look at the instructions, you can't feel it as music.

If you are blessed with the sense of hearing, then Music is sound, and singing/humming is a self-contained representation of music. THAT is why it's important, no matter the instrument.

Regards,
Howard Emerson

Last edited by Howard Emerson; 08-10-2023 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-10-2023, 03:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardN View Post
I'm curious as to how most of you who create your own music document it. I'm focused on solo guitar without singing but interested in hearing from anyone willing to share no matter what genre.

I can read notated music and tab. And I'm pretty good at coming up with some new stuff, but it's hard to remember it the next day. Writing out notes seems tedious as does writing out tab.

What do you all do?
Hi, it's a long time since I wrote a new song, but when I did, I would think of a subject, and often a "hook" line, and do a whole lot of scribbling, - usually following the cliche intro, three verses a chorus and a break and an outro - 1st verse - scene setting, 2nd verse building, 3rd verse completion, sometimes a reprise of 1st verse or part of it - I kinda like to finish songs musically unresolved - it has a definite effect on a listening audience.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Could you share a little about that last sentence? I don't see the neccesity of singing for learning music, so am interested about the reasoning behind that.

Thank you.
Floyd
There are a number of musical traditions that believe that, teaching vocalizing the melodies first, and then applying that internalized sense (from vocalizing) to the instrument. South Asian drumming is even taught this way!

Alas, it's not as good at teaching or transcribing harmonic material for a single individual.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-10-2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Could you share a little about that last sentence?
I should have been more specific and wrote "singing the scales" (which includes intervals). Being able to sing a scale gives me more intimate understanding of its interval relationships.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:51 PM

This is something I am struggling with too. I am no great songwriter but I do think of melodies that I want to capture... and it is extremely frustrating to not be able to write them down as easily as I am writing this post. There is a big gap between reading music and writing down what's in your head!

I suck at keys but I can probably peck out a melody on a keyboard faster than I can find it on a guitar... Can anyone recommend free software that will listen to a MIDI device and capture music notation? Does MuseScore do that?
Old 08-11-2023, 12:54 AM
Charter Member

Yes to an extent. For example I did a midi of one of my compositions -
http://dcoombsguitar.com/Misc/BreezeMidi.mp3

With my free tab software program (PowerTab Editor) I imported the above
midi into it and got the following tab -
http://dcoombsguitar.com/Misc/MidiImport.pdf

Of course this was a solo guitar midi being imported into a dedicated
guitar tab program and the default program key and guitar tuning matched
the key and guitar tuning the midi came from.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 08-11-2023 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-11-2023, 02:59 AM
Charter Member

Have written in many ways over the years. Though I haven't written anything for nearly 10 years.

After what I'd been through, you'd thing I'd have allot to say.

Most of my songs, regardless of how they were intended, all seem to come out like a sad country song.

Not that there's anything wrong with sad country songs. Made a pretty good living on them.

It's just that I'm ready to be happy now. Have had a lyric rolling around in my head for a couple weeks now. Guess I am going to have to do something with it, sooner or later.
Old 08-11-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
This is something I am struggling with too. I am no great songwriter but I do think of melodies that I want to capture... and it is extremely frustrating to not be able to write them down as easily as I am writing this post. There is a big gap between reading music and writing down what's in your head!

I suck at keys but I can probably peck out a melody on a keyboard faster than I can find it on a guitar... Can anyone recommend free software that will listen to a MIDI device and capture music notation? Does MuseScore do that?
I suspect many programs can do this, not sure which ones, and free however. I use Apple Logic, which is reasonably priced, but not free. Garageband is free for Mac users, and is now sort of "Logic Lite." Looks like it can do the MIDI to score thing.

How to view MIDI as score in Garageband

I'd also say that you don't need to edit or view in score mode. MIDI is often displayable in what's called piano roll. I find it easier to edit notes in piano roll myself being only semi-literate in music notation. With some clean up, the advantage of MIDI to score is that it can help transmit ideas to musically literate musicians.

Inputting melodies? You can use an inexpensive little plastic keyboard MIDI controller (available for around $100 new) or even an old Casio or Yamaha electronic keyboard that has MIDI (which can be found used for cheap). I tend to use 1-3 fingers to play in MIDI parts, so I don't need anything more than the inexpensive little plastic keyboard.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-11-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
There is a big gap between reading music and writing down what's in your head!
This is dictation. Previously, I just replied someone about singing the scales, and I find it very helpful in doing dictation.

Quote:
Can anyone recommend free software that will listen to a MIDI device and capture music notation? Does MuseScore do that?
If by "listen" you mean digitally connected via MIDI; then, yes, MuseScore can do it.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:26 AM

I have a small keyboard controller, I'll see what I can do with MuseScore. And I will look into piano roll format too.

I don't have a Mac, but I do have an iPad and I think GarageBand is available.
Old 08-18-2023, 05:07 PM

Hi Ray,
In PowerPoint, I made a 5 x 5 box and copied it so that there are 6 of these little grids across the page, and then copied that row of them below so that there are 9 rows on a piece of paper. Then I saved it as a PDF.

I can't read music at all, but create melodies all the time. I just simply use a pencil and put a dot on the grid for where my fingers are as I go through the melody. Above or below each little grid I write what fret I'm on... Super simple. Does that help? I can email it to you if you want it. [email protected]
1975 Yamaha FG-200
2022 Iris ND-200 jumbo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write