The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-05-2018, 04:01 PM

Default New Sitar Day

A dream has been fulfilled thanks to my girlfriend, who helped finance this guy for my birthday:

Tuning has been a challenge. I ended up making up my own based on D... Anyways, very excited to tread these new waters! If anyone has experience, tips, etc. I am a complete newbie to the sitar.

Last edited by H2O; 01-05-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:00 PM

I haven't touched one, so I have nothing instructive to say. I'm just posting to say I really enjoyed your "Afternoon Sitar" jam. I didn't know the instrument could ever sound gritty. Good stuff.

One of my favorite recordings with a sitar on it is Miles Davis's cover of Crosby, Still and Nash's "Guinnevere":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnFHEjXdaSE
Old 01-06-2018, 02:51 PM

I couldn't get the SP to play.

But cool man. I've got the cassette/book ravi shankar instructional set - must admit I haven't delved into it in 30 years...Indian classical is something I've listened to for a long time, but one of the trad forms I've not studied; I knew it would be all-consuming and I'm just into so many others (now I'm immersed in trad chinese forms, so I broke my rule again about abstaining from taking up new complicated study after age 50 ... there's been a sarangi at the local shop, which I've resisted great temptation!...I still want a hardanger fdl.

Non-western forms, so many forms...
Old 01-06-2018, 03:16 PM

Cool! I'd like to have one, not to play but more as a piece of art to look at (does that make sense)?

Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments