The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 08-30-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Oops, I just realized something, in case I mis-spoke in my post. The 1.50 mm blanks I'm getting in black are ONLY in large tri shape; I have regular teardrops only up to about 1.15 mm. We are currently selling about four-to-one tris vs teardrops in the black line, for some strange reason, and we're getting a ton of requests for thicker black tris at around 1.50 mm. I hope I am clear here.

I say this because the BC TD series is their teardrops. The triangles are the TAD series.

Feel free to PM me here or, better, email me direct at charmedlifepicks @ gmail.com, or of course you can just post here, since others will want this info too.

Thanks for your interest in CLP.

scott
Thanks for the reply, Scott. I prefer the teardrop shape, which is why I was wondering if I could handle drop in thickness from my current preference of 1.5mm down to 1mm to try one of your black series picks. I understand that your thicker picks are in the triangle shape.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
Thanks for the reply, Scott. I prefer the teardrop shape, which is why I was wondering if I could handle drop in thickness from my current preference of 1.5mm down to 1mm to try one of your black series picks. I understand that your thicker picks are in the triangle shape.
My sense is it would be too thin for you. I say this as someone who plays thicker picks myself, typically in the 1.25 - 1.75 mm range, and I think a 1.0 mm probably wouldn't have enough heft for you, plus the TD-60 has almost zero flex, which is probably what you and I both prefer as for accuracy and projection. You're gonna get some flex at 1.0 mm with almost all materials.

An FYI: Our brown series is the identical material to Blue Chip. Most folks are still unaware that we do that. I have those in teardrops up to about 1.20 mm.

The final decision is yours, and we offer a full 35-day return on everything we sell. But my sense is 1.0 mm is gonna be a smidge too thin. At this point we have no plans to offer a black teardrop over 1.0 mm till probably next year. The action in the line has been triangles, so we go where our customers take us.

So great to talk to you, nonetheless. Let me know if you have any more questions.

be well,
scott
Old 08-30-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
My sense is it would be too thin for you. I say this as someone who plays thicker picks myself, typically in the 1.25 - 1.75 mm range, and I think a 1.0 mm probably wouldn't have enough heft for you, plus the TD-60 has almost zero flex, which is probably what you and I both prefer as for accuracy and projection. You're gonna get some flex at 1.0 mm with almost all materials.

An FYI: Our brown series is the identical material to Blue Chip. Most folks are still unaware that we do that. I have those in teardrops up to about 1.20 mm.

The final decision is yours, and we offer a full 35-day return on everything we sell. But my sense is 1.0 mm is gonna be a smidge too thin. At this point we have no plans to offer a black teardrop over 1.0 mm till probably next year. The action in the line has been triangles, so we go where our customers take us.

So great to talk to you, nonetheless. Let me know if you have any more questions.

be well,
scott
Thank you. I'll keep an eye out for the thicker versions in the future. Cheers!
Old 09-01-2017, 11:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you. I'll keep an eye out for the thicker versions in the future. Cheers!
Sure, thanks for all your questions and interest. I never played anything other than standard teardrops for forty years myself. Then, about two years ago when I got into the business, I started playing thicker triangles. Now I play them about 70% of the time. Did take quite an adjustment period, but there you have it.

sm
Old 09-01-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Sure, thanks for all your questions and interest. I never played anything other than standard teardrops for forty years myself. Then, about two years ago when I got into the business, I started playing thicker triangles. Now I play them about 70% of the time. Did take quite an adjustment period, but there you have it.

sm
Interesting. I've tried a few different shapes, but always settled on good old teardrops for everything. My dad plays with large triangles, but I haven't really used one for either acoustic or electric. I think I might have an Ultex one kicking around somewhere, so maybe I'll try it out.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Interesting. I've tried a few different shapes, but always settled on good old teardrops for everything. My dad plays with large triangles, but I haven't really used one for either acoustic or electric. I think I might have an Ultex one kicking around somewhere, so maybe I'll try it out.
You know, it's funny. I've been playing for almost forty-five years, and for about forty of those years I played strictly teardrops. In fact, to show you how ignorant I was, I didn't even know other shapes existed. But when I got into the business people started asking for these strange triangular picks. I didn't even know what they were! So yeah, you might play around with those Ultexes (which are pretty good picks; those 1.14s were my go-tos for many years before founding CLP).

I'm not a great mando player, but tris are really great for mando. I also tend to have fairly large hands, so the extra mass against my thumb really helps create control.

I guess an old dog CAN learn new tricks.

sm

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-04-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 09-07-2017, 12:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Update:

On the black tris, I have a few blanks cut at 1.50 mm. These are going pretty fast. I can make one upon request for the same price at $34.50. When and if this model officially goes on sale on the site, it will be a few more bucks due to the amount material being used (50% more).

I also can fashion a tri at .75 mm thickness, which is becoming a very popular request lately.

Both of these models, the .75 mm and the 1.50 mm, will likely be one sale on the site before Christmas, assuming demand continues the way it has.

Thanks for reading,
Scott
Old 09-15-2017, 07:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks to AGF for continued strong reviews and sales for our black series. WE got lucky and hit a home run.

thanks again,
scott memmer
Old 09-15-2017, 07:38 PM

Part of why you hit a home run, Scott, is because you run an honest company and you're a good guy! It doesn't hurt that your picks are also great (nf-.90 fan here)!
Old 09-16-2017, 11:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggie242 View Post
Part of why you hit a home run, Scott, is because you run an honest company and you're a good guy! It doesn't hurt that your picks are also great (nf-.90 fan here)!
Hah! Thanks, Auggie. Before I changed my life about twenty years ago and made a career change from sales to education, I worked for a lot of dishonest people. I made a promise to myself that if I ever owned my own company, I would run it to reflect my own values -- in short, to treat people the way I want to be treated. I guess it's just a pragmatic extension of the Golden Rule. And the Boy Scout in me dies hard.

Thanks again for the kind words, and continued health in enjoying that nf-90.

Take Care,
Scott
Old 09-22-2017, 12:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Finally getting around to moving my images from the Photobucket hostage takers to imgur.

Here's a test:

Old 09-30-2017, 10:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for all your support for this new line, folks. Really an exciting future ahead of us at CLP.

What till you see what we have coming next year.

thanks so much,
scott
Old 10-07-2017, 02:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

These continue to be among our best sellers. The blt-1.0 mm triangle is the best seller in our entire catalog, behind our red teardrop, garnering fabulous reviews. And we offer a 35-day return policy, the longest in the pick industry. But, a warning: People don't send our stuff back.

thanks, agf,
scott
Old 10-12-2017, 03:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

We offer only two models in black right now, one tri and one teardrop, both at 1.0 mm. These have both become instant best sellers for us.

THICKER or THINNER?

We do have both thicker and thinner blanks on these not listed on the website> If interested, contact me directly. We have tris up to 1.50 mm. In the teardrop, we have them from 1.0 mm to .75 mm.

At this time, no extra charge for a "custom" model on these.

thanks,
scott

P.S. The 1.50 mm tris in particular have strong buzz out there from those playing them.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:36 PM

Does anyone know if the market in general favors triangle picks? I don't think so and I find it hard to understand the popularity here for that shape. Of course we all just like what we like -- as a teardrop user (with a preference for somewhat sharper tips) I just don't get it when it comes to triangles, but I'm sure triangle players feel the same about teardrops. But why the triangle preference on the AGF???

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace