The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
There are so many variables in play including frame of mind. I've played guitars that did not impress me initially only to come back a week later and have it sound much better.
This is an important thing for me. I went to TME once fully expecting to be blown away by the Bourgeois and Collings. Everyone I played just did nothing for me. Then I played a couple Santa Cruz guitars and ALL of them sounded great and spoke to me.

One in particular just blew me away, a custom F in Italian/cocobolo. I went back a couple weeks later with the SC I already owned to A/B them and the one that blew me away was still great but it did not have the same effect as that first time.

I didn't play an Lowdens while I was there but I played a used Goodall all-Koa guitar and a Froggy bottom H-something with Brazilian rosewood back and sides that were both out of this world tone... and prices.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
How quickly can you tell if a guitar is "the one," or does such a concept even exist for you?
I think that, as with any relationship, the player/instrument bond takes time to develop. I liked my Gibson LG2 right off the bat, but it wasn't until many months later that I came to regard it as my "one."

In general, I think we are often too quick to sell off a guitar that doesn't immediately present itself as perfect. We don't invest the time to discover the approach that brings out its best characteristics. I'm guessing that as a result, I've probably let a few "number one" guitars slip through my hands over the years. I try to take a more patient approach these days.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

I didn't play an Lowdens while I was there but I played a used Goodall all-Koa guitar and a Froggy bottom H-something with Brazilian rosewood back and sides that were both out of this world tone... and prices.
I didn't play any of the Froggy Bottom guitars - some prices are just to scary to risk falling in love.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-17-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I can tell within minutes if the guitar is worth buying, based on playability and tone. But I need a good 4 - 6 months with it to determine whether it's a long term keeper. ... snip...
I’m in pretty much agreement with Brendan on this. I might be a little slower on the uptake than “minutes”, but agree that first impressions are enough to get a good one home. However, it takes me a long time to see how it suits me for the long haul. After 6 months of playing one, I have a pretty good idea if it’s going to stick around or get traded. But I typically don’t move a guitar until I’ve had it for at least a year. Call it GAS management I guess.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:07 PM

Default The One

Some of us find "The One" and some are always searching for it. The fact is that it may not exist for everyone, we're all different in that way as in so many other ways.

I have played 4-5 guitars that just electrified me by their sound. Never bought any, and not all were for sale. Two were played at Woodstock and there was not enough time or quiet space to be sure of anything other than they were indeed exceptional. I probably played others there that were as good but just didn't catch my attention in the same way. I am grounded enough to realize that many have the ability to thoroughly satisfy me, and keep me happy for years. I think I'd need a lot of time before I reach a "this is the one" conclusion. On one of my guitars, when it arrived and I first heard it, I was astonished by the sound, it was so right there in my face, so enveloping. A week later, I wondered how I felt that way.

My most recent one is heading toward "the one" territory. In it, I hear changes that I have never heard in another guitar, and they're all good ones. Maybe in a year I will reverse myself and say it is "the one", but i'll bet not. Another guitar, if it hasn't been played for a while, when I pick it up, I marvel at how good it is. I've had it more than a decade and still I want others, mostly for different sounds. For me, I am not sure there can be just one.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

About enough time to play 3 or 4 chords.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-17-2018, 01:54 PM

If the "one" exists for me, I haven't found it yet. I have found guitars that are "perfect" for me, but not one specific guitar that checks every box. I will say that my D-18 and 000-28 combined could be called my "one." Together, they are more than I'll ever need, but on their own they need the other.

I couldn't live with just a dread, or just a 000 for everything I play. However, together both guitars do what I need.

Having said that, I do think I could make one of the 2018 GPC-28 guitars my "one and only." It fills the role of big enough to compete with a dread, but small enough to finger pick. Only issue is, I like the dread and 000 sounds lol.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
One in particular just blew me away, a custom F in Italian/cocobolo. I went back a couple weeks later with the SC I already owned to A/B them and the one that blew me away was still great but it did not have the same effect as that first time.
That can happen and has happened to me. We all have something called psycho-acoustic sensory adaptation where what we hear in a moment is often influenced by what we've just heard and adapted to. We get used to a sound and then compare the next sound to it and our brain makes a judgement. When you didn't have your own SC with you the first time you didn't have a barometer from which to judge the new guitars with. When you brought your instrument in for a side-by-side comparison, it probably that your SC set you up so that the new SC didn't live up to the same standards when you weren't comparing it to something else you knew and loved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I think that, as with any relationship, the player/instrument bond takes time to develop.
Bonding can happen quickly or slowly depending on many things. One can also fall out of love with a guitar if certain circumstances are present. For instance, I know I will never sell my '72 D35. That was "the one" I couldn't walk out of the store without. It took me just a couple strums to know it was special. And then an hour later I had to try to buy it. And after finding the right strings I know how awesome this guitar is.

And what you're used to playing has a great deal to do with how you feel in the present of any guitars. If I play my Taylors too much without playing my D35, I can be simply fumble fingered on the Martin because it's narrower and my fingers just were used to the wider nut and string spacing.Again, another example psycho-acoustic sensory adapation.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-17-2018, 02:04 PM

For me there is no such thing as "the one."
There is always another "the one" lurking out there somewhere.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-17-2018, 02:11 PM

not sure what makes a guitar the "one" you just know within the first few bars of playing it.

they are also ( for me anyway) chance encounters, I've never found one while intentionally out looking to buy
Old 01-17-2018, 03:17 PM

two or three chord strums , if it speaks I play for a minute or so....but I still find quality keepers all the time.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

I was in the US in '98 and visited TME looking for a12 fret Martin dread.

They showed me the first Collings I'd ever soon - a DS41/42 - adi over BRW.

With the exchange rate it was just about affordable but the BRW worried me about importing it -even back then.

Bout a year later I bought a new sitka/eir DS2h for about 2/3rds here in the UK but that was with all taxes... and no brw or shellfish..

I now have a ...number of Collings dreads bought used (hardly) and they are all "the ones" -plus, some others.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
I am with Brencat on this one. I know fairly quickly if I want to take the guitar home but, it does take some time for me to determine if its an actual keeper.

Very true indeed!
Old 01-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

I was lucky enough to stumble over "the one" in 2004, and was smart enough to buy it.

It's my old Guild. Several others have come and gone, but that one sets the bar.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:45 PM

Aside from a Parkwood I bought specifically as a beater / camp fire guitar (which would make sense to not build a "the one" attachment to it) I won't purchase a guitar unless it gives me that feeling. The aforementioned guitar is my number 1 played but that's mainly because I can carry it around the house and not give much care what happens in regards to bumps etc. The guitar I have purchased (one more on the way) spoke to me and that was the reason for buying it. I pulled it out of the case a few days ago after literally a year of it being up and I remember exactly why I bought it (I only wish it had a larger nut).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion