The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-12-2018, 02:40 AM

Default Truss me on this

I have an el cheapo that I bought to give away. I can't give it away now because it buzzes on all 6 strings & I hate to give away total junk.

My repair guy isn't answering the phone for 3 days now. So I thought I might mess around with the truss rod (why not?) and then, if that doesn't work, change to high tension strings and then, if that doesn't work, shim the saddle. Since it's an el cheapo, I might as well do stuff that I know absolutely nothing about & maybe I'll learn something. If I kill the patient, well... que sera sera.

The truss rod is visible through the sound hole. There is no access port to the truss rod on the head. Ergo, I gotta do it through the sound hole (I suppose that makes me a guitar proctologist). Should I screw the truss rod toward the left as I face it, or toward the right, in order to maybe reduce the buzz?

Aloha from Hawaii,
Bell (^_^)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:47 AM

To the left. Lefty Loosey. Will raise the action.

About a 1/2 turn each time, retune, check again.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

Towards the left to loosen the tension of the truss rod and allow the string tension to add a little bow. Go slowly, perhaps 1/8 turn at a time and let it settle for a while.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
I have an el cheapo that I bought to give away. I can't give it away now because it buzzes on all 6 strings & I hate to give away total junk.

My repair guy isn't answering the phone for 3 days now. So I thought I might mess around with the truss rod (why not?) and then, if that doesn't work, change to high tension strings and then, if that doesn't work, shim the saddle. Since it's an el cheapo, I might as well do stuff that I know absolutely nothing about & maybe I'll learn something. If I kill the patient, well... que sera sera.

The truss rod is visible through the sound hole. There is no access port to the truss rod on the head. Ergo, I gotta do it through the sound hole (I suppose that makes me a guitar proctologist). Should I screw the truss rod toward the left as I face it, or toward the right, in order to maybe reduce the buzz?

Aloha from Hawaii,
Bell (^_^)
If the truss adjustment isn't the buzz issue, adjusting it will solve no problems.

Buzzing on all 6 strings... Where on the neck...?? Uniform buzzing along the neck, or more pronounced in a certain area...??

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-12-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
If the truss adjustment isn't the buzz issue, adjusting it will solve no problems.

Buzzing on all 6 strings... Where on the neck...?? Uniform buzzing along the neck, or more pronounced in a certain area...??
Buzzes mostly occur when strings are fretted on frets 1-4. Argh, I hope the problem isn't with the nut.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:14 PM

Do the open strings buzz? If not then the nut is probably okay. Yea, just give it a little relief and see what happens. Could be that the saddle is too low. Sometimes amateurs cut it down to get better action.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtpolk View Post
Do the open strings buzz? If not then the nut is probably okay. Yea, just give it a little relief and see what happens. Could be that the saddle is too low. Sometimes amateurs cut it down to get better action.
Open strings are okay. 10Q!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair