The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Possibly a rabid coyote since they are generally nocturnal????

Foaming at the mouth
Foaming at the mouth is the symptom most associated with rabies. The foaming occurs because the coyote is having trouble swallowing his saliva due to the virus. Any coyote seen foaming at the mouth should be avoided, and 911 should be called immediately if the coyote is near a residential area.

Extreme Aggression
Coyotes are typically curious animals, but do not often display aggressive behavior towards humans. Therefore, if you encounter a coyote that is acting aggressive (stalking, growling, biting, etc) there is a good chance it has rabies. Once again, authorities should be alerted immediately.

Erratic or Lethargic Behavior
If you observe a coyote that is stumbling or displaying other erratic behavior, such as colliding with objects or eating atypical things, it should be avoided and reported. At the other extreme, lethargic or paralyzed behavior also can be a sign of rabies.
Considered that when he first appeared but 1# he still alive and #2 None of those behaviors being displayed

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
Contact the local animal control. Or consider a live trap baited with a can of cat food.

Unfortunately - a yote close to people often means a dead one... Better to relocate him someplace wild... Corn/wheat field country is often a much better choice than "The forest". Mice and bugs to eat aplenty....
Actually, I know of densely populated huge cities with roaming yotes that are protected by law.
Unless they are witnessed actually threatening humans animal control will not respond.
Rather, they tell you yotes have the same right to be there as any other wild animal in the city, birds, possums, coons, etc.
They won't even relocate it.

They just tell you to scare it away by banging pots and to keep your pets inside.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:03 PM

I’m inclined to think that the coyote would like to join your pack, the desire perhaps triggered by the presence of the Australian shepherd puppy.

It is also possible that the lonely one is a coyote/dog hybrid hence the absence of fear of humans.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Considered that when he first appeared but 1# he still alive and #2 None of those behaviors being displayed
Good to hear. By your admission, the coyote's behavior is very strange, and so rabies was the first thing that came to my mind. Several years ago we had an instance nearby of a black bear (without cubs and in the open i.e. not cornered) that attacked two men in a John Deer Gator adjacent to Shenandoah National Park and atop the Blue Ridge Mountains. The attack was unprovoked, and one of the men was able to shoot and kill the bear. The brain was removed and sent off for testing, and the bear proved to have had rabies. http://www.readthehook.com/103234/ha...-royal-orchard This was the first recorded case in Virginia history. Googling "rabid coyote" and you'll find many documented cases.

My point is to consider the possibility, be safe and act accordingly....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
Contact the local animal control. Or consider a live trap baited with a can of cat food.

Unfortunately - a yote close to people often means a dead one... Better to relocate him someplace wild... Corn/wheat field country is often a much better choice than "The forest". Mice and bugs to eat aplenty....
Yes wild animals habituated to humans can end poorly for the critter. Would only consider trapping or authorities if it becomes a real problem as opposed to so far simply an interesting situation.

He actually is by comparison already someplace wild

He lives up behind this hill looking west which starting at our buckrail fence is a 1200 acre ranch, then beyond that is the Roosevelt National forest

View from our front pasture looking south

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 10-15-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Actually, I know of densely populated huge cities with roaming yotes that are protected by law.
Unless they are witnessed actually threatening humans animal control will not respond.
Rather, they tell you yotes have the same right to be there as any other wild animal in the city, birds, possums, coons, etc.
They won't even relocate it.

They just tell you to scare it away by banging pots and to keep your pets inside.
I live in one of those big cities with coyotes, and we are very careful of our dogs, especially at night. We're in a part of the U.S. where many of the coyotes are actually coydogs or coywolves. Some of them are huge. There have been rabid ones captured not far from here, too.

I don't think trapping is particularly effective. I heard someone compare it to trying to empty a stream by scooping water out with a bucket - it just gets replaced by more.

edit to add: Wow, KevWind. I have some serious pasture-envy. Gorgeous place!

Last edited by cmd612; 10-15-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Good to hear. By your admission, the coyote's behavior is very strange, and so rabies was the first thing that came to my mind. Several years ago we had an instance nearby of a black bear (without cubs and in the open i.e. not cornered) that attacked two men in a John Deer Gator adjacent to Shenandoah National Park and atop the Blue Ridge Mountains. The attack was unprovoked, and one of the men was able to shoot and kill the bear. The brain was removed and sent off for testing, and the bear proved to have had rabies. http://www.readthehook.com/103234/ha...-royal-orchard This was the first recorded case in Virginia history. Googling "rabid coyote" and you'll find many documented cases.

My point is to consider the possibility, be safe and act accordingly....
To be sure but considering the life expectancy is about 10 days we are a week and a 1/2 beyond that.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-15-2017, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

here are some snaps of our pack

This is my wife and I's, 12 week old pup and our year and 1/2 male, shot minutes ago on our stairs

And this is my daughter and son in law dogs taken about 6 months ago. 8 year old rescued female left and the full brother to our male, right.This is at the top of our walk trail about 3/4 mile from house.

There is also a black bear that lives in this area who we have had on our deck at night a couple of times

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-15-2017, 01:33 PM

Beautiful dogs!

I'm so jealous of where you live.
Would you like to rescue another dog ... me?
Old 10-15-2017, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Wow... love those views, Kev!
Old 10-15-2017, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Beautiful dogs!

I'm so jealous of where you live.
Would you like to rescue another dog ... me?
Here Tico, here Tico good boy. You will have to get a blue merle full body tattoo

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-15-2017, 01:56 PM
Anticipation Junkie

What a beautiful landscape. Kev, I bet you don’t even have to cut the grass there, do you? Lucky dog!
Old 10-15-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Here Tico, here Tico good boy. You will have to get a blue merle full body tattoo
LOL
Old 10-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
What a beautiful landscape. Kev, I bet you don’t even have to cut the grass there, do you? Lucky dog!
Thanks, I am fortunate to have a great view, we have 35 acres and actually I do have mow about about 12 of the 17.5 acres the house sits on, the other 17.5 is in open space and left natural .

But it is fairly quick with this 37 HP Kabota

and this 6 ft brush hog/mower on the back

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-15-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Given the canine reliance on smell, maybe pull a "Cool Hand Luke" and leave some pepper and ground chili in your tracks when walking the dogs.
I'm thinking that Kev should mark his territory as demonstrated in the movie, "Never Cry Wolf."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic