The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-30-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Re: Re: Not surprised about Ed. But why bash Tacoma?

Quote:
Originally posted by BigMo66
Take a look at this post from the UTGF and see what you think of the guitar: EK36C post from UTGF It has some of the sweetest looking Cedar and KOA I have ever seen. I wish i could play and judge one for myself. It's not easy to find a good Tacoma dealer with some high end Tacomas ready to play.
Please understand it is difficult to judge a guitar in a picture, and that one really looks nice (I don't like the way the grain "angles" on the top), I like the grain to run more perpendicular to the neck.

I'm sure the sound and feel and that might wow me, but you would hope any "custom" would wow you? ļ

My JDCM does "WOW" me, but not a super "WOW"! The thing is, it is not a custom, and anyone could have had one.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Not surprised about Ed. But why bash Tacoma?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by taygull
[B]Please understand it is difficult to judge a guitar in a picture, and that one really looks nice (I don't like the way the grain "angles" on the top), I like the grain to run more perpendicular to the neck.

I think you are looking at the "feature guitar" at the top of the forum page. I wanted you to look at the guitar in the post underneath.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 03-30-2004, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Not surprised about Ed. But why bash Tacoma?

[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by taygull
Please understand it is difficult to judge a guitar in a picture, and that one really looks nice (I don't like the way the grain "angles" on the top), I like the grain to run more perpendicular to the neck.[/i]

I think you are looking at the "feature guitar" at the top of the forum page. I wanted you to look at the guitar in the post underneath.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
Old 03-30-2004, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigMo66
You were correct, the one on top is ugly. The bottom one looks allot like the back on my JDCM, my sides are much more flamed. This is one great looking guitar.

I'd love to pick on that one with the cedar top. OK, borderline "WOW". What does that guitar sale for. You should probably email me prices.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Not surprised about Ed. But why bash Tacoma?

Quote:
You were correct, the one on top is ugly. The bottom one looks allot like the back on my JDCM, my sides are much more flamed. This is one great looking guitar.

I'd love to pick on that one with the cedar top. OK, borderline "WOW". What does that guitar sale for. You should probably email me prices.
Be nice on the "feature guitar", it belongs to someone who really likes thier guitar

No need to be silent on the price, Tacoma hasn't the same policy as ----r. The EK36C sold for between $2000 -$2400. I'd venture to say 1/2 of a comparable ----r.
Here is a nice pic of a Rosewood jumbo. The Engelman Tacoma uses is the tightest grain I have ever seen. Full Flame Maple binding & abalone purfling, rosette, Headstock logo and fretboard inlay. Gold tuners a nice touch. Not a bad looker either!

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
Old 03-30-2004, 09:38 PM

Here's a Tacoma that WOW'd me. I own an 814ce and have played a ton of Taylors. Not only does this Tacoma look gorgeous it sounds FANTASTIC! It also plays great.

http://www.maplestreetguitars.com/Pa...ustic-jf21.htm

1997 Taylor 814ce
Goodall AKJ
Old 03-30-2004, 10:27 PM

Quote:
My JDCM does "WOW" me, but not a super "WOW"! The thing is, it is not a custom, and anyone could have had one.

Hopefully I'll have one soon.
I'm not hyper-critical so it will probably be a super "WOW"
If everything goes well I should see the
big white truck next week. --- YEEEHAAAA
Rocky Mountain High ---- Colorado !!!

Old 03-31-2004, 12:43 AM

I really don't like to do any bashing....(But, Oh heck, why not!!!)

I really, really want to like Tacoma guitars. I'm a former Seattle-ite now living in Portland, so they're really a neighbor. I really want them to do well. They're innovative.

I have seen a couple that I have liked. Almost bought one, a maple backed, sunburst dread. But I was able to buy my Martin MTV-1 for less money from the same store, and I like it much better. Tone, neck, action--the Martin was better--head to head.

But, of the last FOUR new Tacomas I have looked at: two had bridges that were already lifting off the soundboard. (This is VERY BAD, by the way.) The third had a terrible finish flaw, and should never have left the factory, IMHO. The final one was okay, but not one that I would have traded any of my Martins or my Taylor--or even my Ibanez Artwood for, for that matter. In it's price range--I would have looked for a 310, and been much happier.

Tacoma Guitars have come a long way in a very short time. They have had some problems. Of the guitars I've played, I have been disappointed. At the moment, I think they can do better, and I sincerely hope they will.

Back in the 1960's I thought that Martins were WAY overpriced--why, two of my friends in high school bought D-28s in 1968 and paid Four Hundred and Sixty Five bucks!! Outrageous! My Harmony Sovereign Jumbo was spruce and mahogany--and it only cost One Twenty!

Five years later, I bought my frist Martin, and man did my attitude change in a hurry! Every Martin I've bought has been a BARGAIN, when I think about what that instrument brought to me compared to what I paid for it. I made my living with these things: put bread on the table, paid the rent, and put money in the bank. I'm a pro, and these are my tools. Go down to your local mechanic and tell him how overpriced his Snap-On, Matco, or S-K wrenches are--then offer him some off-brand in exchange, and see what he says.

My new Taylor 710CE that I bought last year--this thing is such a good value--it qualifies as a cheap thrill!!! (Don't let the gov'mint know about these things and how much fun we're having--they'll start taxin' the heck out them!)

If you're not worth spending Martin or Taylor money on yourself, well I understand. Just don't try to convince me that these guitars are over-rated or even over-priced.

My talent is worth it. My reputation is worth it. I'm worth it--every darned penny, you betcha'!

Bill
Old 03-31-2004, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Re: Not surprised about Ed. But why bash Tacoma?

Quote:
I really don't know much about Tacoma guitar's I've picked up a couple and they seem "nice". I've picked up some Taylor's and they seem "nice". The difference is I pick up more Taylor's that "WOW" me more than just about any other guitar that is available at your typical chain or mom and pop. I'd love to see a Tacoma that "WOW"s me.
Well, that's obviously not going to happen if you've only picked up a couple Tacomas. That's not hard to figure out. Go to a store that has some of the high end Tacomas and spend some time with them. Now, throw the cost in there. That's where you can easily find the WOW factor. How can a guitar that costs so little play and sound that nice?

You'll get the most bang from your buck with a Tacoma. Taylors are hideously overpriced - likely a lot of thanks for that goes to the customers who, in their ignorance, think a great guitar must cost over $2000. THAT'S the problem... Ignorant consumers perpetuating the thought that the higher the price the better the procduct.

Craig

Last edited by CDouglas; 03-31-2004 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by boogiebill
But, of the last FOUR new Tacomas I have looked at: two had bridges that were already lifting off the soundboard. (This is VERY BAD, by the way.)

If you're not worth spending Martin or Taylor money on yourself, well I understand. Just don't try to convince me that these guitars are over-rated or even over-priced.
Maybe you didn't read my earlier post regarding a friend who has a Taylor that has had its bridge pull loose twice! He treats his guitar well and doesn't abuse it in any way. So, bridges pulling loose are a problem shared by Taylor as well. I'm not surprised it doesn't happen more considering Taylor tops are supposedly thinner than most other brands.

And, as I stated previously, I DID have the money to spend on a Martin or Taylor. I tried various models of both in the $2k-$3k range. I was in no hurry to buy anything. Martin tended to sound bassy and I didn't like the necks. Taylor had a more comfortable neck but sounded a little tinny-er (that Taylor sound) and didn't have the bass response I liked. Tacoma, believe it or not, sounded like a happy medium between the two, appeared to be made just as well, and cost several hundred dollars less. So, to imply that people who aren't willing or able to spend the money on themselves they deserve when buying a guitar goes to show one thing... Taylor owner arrogance/ignorance still flourishes.

Craig
Old 03-31-2004, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Please understand it is difficult to judge a guitar in a picture, and that one really looks nice (I don't like the way the grain "angles" on the top), I like the grain to run more perpendicular to the neck.

I'm sure the sound and feel and that might wow me, but you would hope any "custom" would wow you? ļ

BTW, the Tacoma you were looking at as the featured guitar, the custom built EKK19C is mine. I really like the character of the grain. It's different. Not too busy, not too plain and the fact that the grain on top is angled like gives a sense (at least to me) that it's not something that came out of a cookie cutter.

As for the custom part, do you realize I only paid $1600 for that guitar with deluxe case (and there's more to it than the wood grain - gold tuners, abalone purfle, rosette, headstock nameplate)? You could NEVER in a million years get anything custom ordered from T____r or M____n for that price. And, it sounds and plays fantastic.

Your guitar looks great, too (although I don't like the neck inlay at all - is that a soldier or something????), and I'm sure it sounds wonderful. But the flaming is buisier than what I like. So, what this all boils down to is the old story of different strokes for different folks. It's just that this "folk" payed a lot less.

Craig

Last edited by CDouglas; 03-31-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by boogiebill

My talent is worth it. My reputation is worth it. I'm worth it--every darned penny, you betcha'!

Bill
Boy mine's not, and I can prove it!
Old 03-31-2004, 07:50 AM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Quote:
Originally posted by CDouglas
Taylors are hideously overpriced - likely a lot of thanks for that goes to the customers who, in their ignorance, think a great guitar must cost over $2000. THAT'S the problem... Ignorant consumers perpetuating the thought that the higher the price the better the procduct.

Craig
I like Tacoma Guitars
I like Martin Guitars
I like John Mayes Guitars
I like Ryan Guitars
I like Avalon Guitars etc. etc. etc...
I like and own Taylor guitars..
I DON"T LIKE BEING CALLED IGNORANT!
Old 03-31-2004, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Taylors are hideously overpriced - likely a lot of thanks for that goes to the customers who, in their ignorance, think a great guitar must cost over $2000. THAT'S the problem... Ignorant consumers perpetuating the thought that the higher the price the better the procduct. Craig
Hey Craig ! Welcome to ??F. You'll be sure to make lots of
friends here saying that Taylor buyers are ignorant
consumers.
I must be extemely ignorant because I just plopped down
$$$$$$$$ but Mama always said that stupid is as stupid does.

Comparing a Taylor to a inexpensive upstart
is like comparing a Mercedes 500 to a yugo. Yes you
do pay for quality. It's a fact of life. It even works that way
for clothes. People pay more for a real Polo shirt with the
horse thingy on the chest even though other polo type
shirts compare in looks and are less expensive. In
America we like to have the best and we want people
to know it (well some of us). We want the best looking
cars and clothes and guitars. You do pay for a NAME.
But in Taylors case some of that expensiveness may be
justified. They are continually improving their products
with things like NT and ES (I know some will disagree on ES).

Gentlemen start your keyboards !!!!!!

And that's all I got to say about that.

The biggest problem with non-Taylor guitars is that they are not Taylor guitars.
(this profound statement belongs to me. copyright 2004)
Old 03-31-2004, 07:55 AM

Quote:
BTW, the Tacoma you were looking at as the featured guitar, the custom built EKK19C is mine. I
Craig
Dang it, don't you hate it when you do that!

Craig I meant no disrespect (mainly because I didn't think the owner would be on the TGF ).

I agree I've meet people who think the inlay on my JDCM is a joke. Hey I'm cool with that!

I'm sure you love your Tacoma and are as proud of it as I am my JDCM! That is really all that matters! Like I said earlier it is hard to tell how a guitar really looks in a picture, I know mine looks allot better in person!

No Offense intended!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification