The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2011, 10:32 AM

I give Jack Campbell credit for getting the Fishman SoloAmp project started.

Furthermore, if its true that the Bag Amp radiates sound more evenly than the Solo Amp (because its more of a true line array system, as claimed), then I'd love to get a no-frills verson (just gain and volume controls) at a no-frills price.

Any user observations here, regarding BagAmp vs SoloAmp, on the sound radiation question?

Gary
Old 05-01-2011, 10:57 PM

A friend from another forum (Omaha-Jeff Miller) gave me his (he is well set up with stuff). I wanted a utility speaker for school activities, speech as well as music.

The speaker is as generally described. It doesn't have the warmth or bass response of either the SoloAmp or the Bose Compact, but it is a nice speaker with good clarity and accuracy.

A big part of the speaker equation is the room. In my livingroom, the Bagamp was a little sharp and thin for my tastes, at least when compared to my Bose L1. But when I used the Bagamp in our school auditorium, a large and very live (and somewhat boomy/echoey) room, the Bagamp surprised me with how good it sounded. And how full and rich it sounded. And how good its coverage was.

During the soundcheck for a community musical program, I ran some of the performers through the BagAmp instead of the house PA, and that little BagAmp sounded pretty darn good in that auditorium. I ended up using it as part of the package for a couple acts.

Later, for the high school musical, I used it as a stage monitor. It worked wonderfully. The actors were using wireless headset mics (countryman types) and I had concerns about using a monitor due to possible feedback. Additionally, I didn't want monitors visible on the stage. So, I laid the BagAmp on its side, which, for all practical purposes, made it nearly invisible to the audience (it's only four inches high when on its side). And the clear, articulate, non-bassy output of the BagAmp didn't cause a bit of feedback. Not a whiff. It was an absolutely perfect stage monitor (I put a couple shims under it to angle it up some. I don't think it was necesssary, but I did it anyway).

Long story short, if you are a coffee house performer looking for your ideal rig, the Fish and Bose sticks are better sticks. But, for the right price, the Bag Amp can be a pretty handy thing to have, especially if you run sound and like to have options. It really is a pretty darn good monitor. And in the right room and situation, it can be the perfect out front speaker. It is a lot of speaker for $300.

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.

Last edited by epaul; 05-01-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the assessment, Paul. I've been using my SoloAmp as a monitor for some settings. It sounds like the BagAmp might be a better option.

Gary
Old 05-02-2011, 10:35 AM

To all out there interested in taking a chance (as I did), I'm happy to say that the ebay auction listed above is, in fact, taking offers well below the asking price (asking price is $440, btw). They're obviously just selling off remaining stock, of course, and there is not likely to be any support going forward, but at the price I paid, I figure that's worth the chance.

I have prior experience enough to know that it will work for my required purpose (practice PA), and if, now matched with the T1 may even be something I use out (though, I'm not expecting that).
Old 05-02-2011, 12:19 PM

If you are not using the "line array" aspect of the BagAmp (e.g., you're using it for practice/living room amp, small coffeehouses, etc.), IMO at around $400 there are much better options. In particular (as I've stated elsewhere) the Fishman Loudbox Mini ($299) sounds fantastic, has all the necessary bells and whistles, great effects, has plenty of power, and is highly portable. And looks much better (IMO)

I use a Pyle Pro laptop stand (or a chair) to raise it up...

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-Lapto...sr=1-1-catcorr

So do the Roland AC-33, and even the Mobile Cube, which are battery powered if desired...

For intimate operation, I doubt a line array would be relevant....

That said, each to their own......

Last edited by BuleriaChk; 05-02-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:28 PM

Actually the Bagamp works quite well for practice/living room amp, small coffeehouses. I have a Roland AC33 and its also great, but the vertical line array makes a great setup for practice/living room amp, and even better in small coffeehouses then the Roland AC33. I use a mixer with it for better EQ ability and to get rid the harshness thats been mentioned in an earlier post, I get a good reproduction of the sound of my guitars and vocals. They can be had real cheap, less dollars then the Roland AC33. Sometimes I use both together. For the money I spent, I am perfectly happy with mine. There are many great options out there, but for an inexpensive line array stick type amp, it works well.
If I had more money to spend at the time, I might have tried a Fishstick or Bose. But my funds were limited and the price was right the day I bought it. For me its one of many amps in my arsenal of tools.

Last edited by woodenstrings; 05-02-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:41 PM

The BagAmp speakers have an unusual look to them. When I first pulled it out of the box, I thought the speakers had little protective speaker caps on them and I tried pull one off.

It didn't come off, fortunately.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 PM

Well after reading that an offer of $340 was accepted I thought for kicks I would throw out a lower offer. (Now I have to explain to my wife I won this thing)
Old 05-02-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Well after reading that an offer of $340 was accepted I thought for kicks I would throw out a lower offer. (Now I have to explain to my wife I won this thing)
Ack! That's what I was afraid of. After I put my offer in, I thought - WHY OH WHY did I not even try to go lower. I just assumed the $340 was the result of some back-and-forth. Ah well...I still think it could come in handy at that price.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:14 PM

I just got one for $175. It seems like they are accepting any offer you make.

'
'
'
'

(just teasing )

Old 05-02-2011, 10:37 PM

Whew, I'm glad I scrolled down. I was ready to make an offer for $25...

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaul View Post
I just got one for $175. It seems like they are accepting any offer you make.
(just teasing )
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Humanist

I am still enjoying the use of my BagAmp in small-gig settings, and for other utilitarian puproses...although like Jenn, it's use is secondary to my Bose L1 Model II.

It's a great alternative to the Bose for a small setting, and Gary's question is pertinent...I could not stand in front of the SoloAmp/SA220 and be comfortable with the gain necessary to reach the audience.

No problem with this on the Bose and BagAmp gear...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Fliss; 05-03-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 AM

Thanks for your observations about the sound penetration factor, Larry.

The reason I asked the question (about the line array effect and the sound penetration factor) was because I recently had a bad experience with trying to use the SoloAmp as both a monitor and the "house" speaker at an open mic which I host. The stage sound was uncomfortably loud for some of the acts. They were backing off the mic and playing less assertively as a consequence. This in turn made them harder to hear out in the "house", which is a long, cavernous room. When I finally had a chance to take the stage myself, I had to agree that the level I'd set for the last act (which was reasonable and comfortable from the house side) was blistering hot on stage. (Yes, I did place the SoloAmp well to the side and barely behind the acts. I even tried putting it a bit in front of one especially volume-shy act.)

In any event, that's why I asked about the sound penetration factor. I recalled Jack Campbell's claim that the BagAmp is a true line array system, while the SoloAmp isn't.

Thanks again for your feedback, Larry.
Gary
Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post

The reason I asked the question (about the line array effect and the sound penetration factor) was because I recently had a bad experience with trying to use the SoloAmp as both a monitor and the "house" speaker at an open mic which I host. The stage sound was uncomfortably loud for some of the acts. They were backing off the mic and playing less assertively as a consequence. This in turn made them harder to hear out in the "house", which is a long, cavernous room. When I finally had a chance to take the stage myself, I had to agree that the level I'd set for the last act (which was reasonable and comfortable from the house side) was blistering hot on stage. (Yes, I did place the SoloAmp well to the side and barely behind the acts. I even tried putting it a bit in front of one especially volume-shy act.)

In any event, that's why I asked about the sound penetration factor. I recalled Jack Campbell's claim that the BagAmp is a true line array system, while the SoloAmp isn't.

Thanks again for your feedback, Larry.
Gary
I would add that I agree with Larry on this aspect of things.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 AM

Audience (sound) penetration is truly in the ear of the beholder....
(well, ok, in the hype of the sales rep as well ..:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post

Gary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification