The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Default I can't recommend The Fretted Frog enough

My highest compliments to The Fretted Frog and its owner Roland Belloir. Throughout a very trying (and unfortunately unsuccessful) purchase process, Roland was the consummate professional and customer representative with the maker, doing absolutely everything in his power to get me what I deserved and then some. Talk about your 110%...The Fretted Frog gives it.

I highly recommend The Fretted Frog to all.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
My highest compliments to The Fretted Frog and its owner Roland Belloir. Throughout a very trying (and unfortunately unsuccessful) purchase process.....
You've aroused my curiosity. Why was the process unsuccessful?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:16 PM

Good to know. They just relocated to Pasadena where I live. I have visited them at the old and new location and been impressed with the small shop vibe and quality they exude.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:15 PM

Well, the OP is from Minnesota, Lefty says the Fretted Frog has just relocated to Pasadena (California?), and I, like I suspect most others on here, have never heard of the Fretted Frog.

This thread just won the award for most ambiguous of the year.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 10-22-2014, 01:23 AM
Charter Member

roland really is a great guy to deal with. we visited his previous location in echo park, and he was nice, knowledgeable and truly likes guitars. i see he has composite acoustics and faith and some h&d, in addition to the brands we saw when we visited.

i hadn't heard the fretted frog moved to pasadena, but that sounds like a better location than the old one. we'll have to stop in some time.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

This thread is meant to heap praise on how Roland worked for me in the process, not to provide any details of the transactions themselves. Sorry if that's ambiguous to some, though cross-county guitar purchases are not unusual.

The issues were quality and lack of execution on the maker's part which could happen to anyone, though when they happened to me, successively, I finally gave up on the purchase and Roland made me whole. He truly acted as my agent throughout the whole process.

If you are in the area, or like an item in his extensive inventory, you can rest assured that The Fretted Frog will do you right.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:45 AM

I have had the same experience at the Fretted Frog - I had endless emails, questions, if I wanted to play a guitar the luthier would insist on putting on new strings. Ultimately, I went with a guitar they did not carry (loved his UK Faith guitars) - but I WISH I could have given Roland my business. Next time for sure....

KLEPPER Guitars - Custom build
12-fret, 15" "SSD". 24.9"scale

Guild 1964 M20
Eastman e20 00
Baby Taylor (99)
Alvarez Yairi DY60 - 1995
Ibanez SR600 Walnut electric bass & amp.
Ultrasonic AG-15 acoustic amp
Old 10-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for Roland and FF. I discovered him when they were at their previous location. I bought my La Patrie Concert from him and couldn't be happier with it. I also bring my guitars and ukes in his to technician and oftentimes he can make adjustments while I wait. Very spacious store with comfortable couches to play guitars til your heart's content. Roland is a very nice guy, very knowledgeable and wonderful to do business with.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:18 AM

It surprised me when this thread popped up, as I was planning on visiting the Fretted Frog for the first time during a trip to LA the day after I first saw this.
I am only here for a couple of days on a business trip and I am on the south side of town. But I had my first morning free and wanted to see if I could try out a few guitars I had not been able to locate elsewhere. Timing didn't work at LA Guitars, then I discovered the Fretted Frog as I searched for an in-stock Emerald X20-OS. I emailed, they had one, I got up early and made the trek from Irvine to Pasadena. Tried out the instrument as the luthier worked on guitars and Roland conducted guitar lessons in the back. I had only a small time window, but it worked out perfectly.
Nice shop; nice folks. Really glad I got the chance to try out one of these instruments in person.
Strongly considering the purchase. Very impressed with the guitar as well.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion