The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2014, 02:18 AM

Default Guild f-130 R VS Yamaha LS-16 A.R.E?

Hi Guys,,We would like your views,What guitar in your opinion is better,Guild f-130 R or Yamaha LS-16 A.R.E?
http://guildguitars.com/guitars/acou...rs/gad-series/
http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products...=2&mode=paging

Last edited by ntik; 10-21-2014 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:44 AM

I can't speak directly to the guild build you're looking at but given the fact that Guild is in a huge transition as a company I would be extremely cautious about purchasing a new Guild guitar right now. I have great optimize that once they are setup and producing that they will be putting out some amazing guitars but right now I think there is a lot of unknowns.

I would suggest that you really need to play every guitar before jumping on one. If you're split between two as you indicate then it behooves you to play both and go with what feels and sounds right to you. One will stand out more so than the other. No one can tell you the 'right one' for you. As my first comment suggest I strongly recommend playing the Guild before buying because their is a real world stimulus that could be affecting any guitar they are building that we are aware of. That state of change could have no effect, a positive effect, or a negative effect. We only know that change is happening at Guild. So putting your hands on a Guild right now before buy is more important than ever before. You know what you feel and hear.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-21-2014, 06:47 AM

Those two are neck and neck to me. I've played both, and would be hard pressed to say which one is the better - they're both very good. It would have to come down to which one's sound and feel better suits your playing.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-21-2014, 07:07 AM

To my ears, and having briefly owned the Guild and playing the Yamaha, the LS has more of a dreadnaught delivery-possibly due to the much greater body depth which is about the same as the LL. The Guild is a very nice guitar although the one I had arrived with a slightly offset bridge which resulted in a precariously misaligned top E and had to be returned. Shortly afterwards the new LL16 became available and I went for that in preference. If funds were available I'd seriously consider the Guild again.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:14 AM

thanks for the opinions,reliability, quality, sound, who is from 2, predominates? and two is made in china?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
To my ears, and having briefly owned the Guild and playing the Yamaha, the LS has more of a dreadnaught delivery-possibly due to the much greater body depth which is about the same as the LL. The Guild is a very nice guitar although the one I had arrived with a slightly offset bridge which resulted in a precariously misaligned top E and had to be returned. Shortly afterwards the new LL16 became available and I went for that in preference. If funds were available I'd seriously consider the Guild again.
what you mean, precariously misaligned top E,The bridge was faulty?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:21 AM

I can't speak for Guild... The Yamaha is build in China as was my LL16R-12 in the sig. Yamaha built a factory of their design, staffs it with local skilled craftsmen who they have trained, and oversee the construction to Yamaha's specification and process. Quality coming out of that plant is extremely high. I love mine and wouldn't hesitate getting another for any reason related to quality.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-21-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntik View Post
what you mean, precariously misaligned top E,The bridge was faulty?
Yes, so much so that the top E string was slipping off the edge of the fingerboard. The M120 I also had was perfect so be aware that inconsistencies will occur. Both the Guild GAD series and Yamaha L series (6 and 16 models) are Chinese-built.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Yes, so much so that the top E string was slipping off the edge of the fingerboard. The M120 I also had was perfect so be aware that inconsistencies will occur. Both the Guild GAD series and Yamaha L series (6 and 16 models) are Chinese-built.
sorry, again i do not understand
Old 10-21-2014, 10:40 AM

I think what he means is that the bridge was not centered, and it was off towards the treble side. That would move the strings toward that edge of the fretboard, worsening as you got farther up the neck.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-21-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
I think what he means is that the bridge was not centered, and it was off towards the treble side. That would move the strings toward that edge of the fretboard, worsening as you got farther up the neck.
has meant a larger scale than the one side?
Old 10-21-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntik View Post
has meant a larger scale than the one side?
No he means the distance from the outside strings to side of the neck/fretboard.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim83 View Post
No he means the distance from the outside strings to side of the neck/fretboard.
probably mean that the bridge was not exactly in the center,and so the E string, is outside from the fingerboard
Old 10-21-2014, 11:27 AM

I can tell you about the F130 because I spend considerable time with it when I was guitar shopping. It sounds really sweet when you fingerpick it, but as soon as you start to strum it, the sound becomes thin, with no bass.
The neck is very comfortable and easy to play. The one I played had overly thick finish on the headstock, which had collected in a thick layer on one edge of the headstock, almost like a run in the finish.
I haven't been able to find a LS16 to play, wish I could.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-21-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
I can tell you about the F130 because I spend considerable time with it when I was guitar shopping. It sounds really sweet when you fingerpick it, but as soon as you start to strum it, the sound becomes thin, with no bass.
The neck is very comfortable and easy to play. The one I played had overly thick finish on the headstock, which had collected in a thick layer on one edge of the headstock, almost like a run in the finish.
I haven't been able to find a LS16 to play, wish I could.
there is also the opponent for your guitar, YAMAHA LS-16-M A.R.E MAHOGANY

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion