The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-14-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Caldwell View Post
I just keep moving farther west. It's nice out here.
Spicewood, eh? My cousin Rick is your neighbor. Been there about 30 years or so. Keeps talking about "all the people" crowding things up, so he's been threatening to move even farther west. Not sure if he means Llano or Oregon (his daughter's in the Pacific NW). West covers a lot of territory. Doubt he'll actually move, though. The critters around Spicewood might miss him too much...he has the darn raccoons practically eating out of his hand.

Dirk
Old 10-14-2014, 02:30 PM

Before I forget to mention it, 5th and Lamar is a good place to park and walk around a bit. The "mother of all Whole Foods" store is there, and offers pretty healthy options for a meal if you've overindulged in fried food, barbecue, or cheese enchiladas elsewhere. Also, Waterloo Records is right across the street. Last time I was there (it's been a couple of years), they had one band playing on the premises, another signing autographs. They usually have information re local music happenings and, unless things have totally changed recently, they also have plenty of recorded material if you are of the old fashioned "get a hard copy" music persuasion; even had a fairly impressive annex for used vinyl around the corner, though that may have disappeared. Cross the street again and you're at Book People, a pretty nicely stocked old style, refined book store. Those are getting rare these days.

All in all, a good neighborhood to wander in for an hour or several. And hey, you WILL be on Lamar at some point anyway. Too many guitar stores on that street not to be.

Dirk
Old 10-14-2014, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracecovenant View Post

Guitar Ressurection (But don't touch anything in the store unless you want trouble)
What is the deal with Guitar Rez? I've been there once in my 7 years since I permanently moved house, and that was only after checking inventory online and calling -- because I hear horror stories about the grumps that own it. Meanwhile I shop and buy at Fiddler's Green, Hill Country (now in town), South Austin and the Andrerson Ln GC, which is one of the best GCs I've shopped at -- where everyone encourages playing, chatting and dealing (guitars).

But these guys are losing business because practically everyone warns others away - what I'e been told in dif ways multiple times, unless you're ready to buy, don't shop there. Is it really that bad?

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 10-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
What is the deal with Guitar Rez? I've been there once in my 7 years since I permanently moved house, and that was only after checking inventory online and calling -- because I hear horror stories about the grumps that own it. Is it really that bad?
Huh. I've never been treated shabbily by anyone there. I've played many guitars there, and had them adjust the action on my Guild, process a warranty issue on a Godin, etc., etc. Totally nice guys, great inventory, and a good (but busy) service department.

They don't cotton to ham-fisted teenagers grabbing guitars off the racks, but they've always treated me and my friends with courtesy and respect. I've bought three guitars from them over the years and would do so again.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:59 PM

Can't really add too much to what's already here, but will give a few nods...

Guitar Shops:
Fiddler's Green (also possibly the best selection of ukuleles in town)
Hill Country Music
Strait Music (South)
I also like both Guitar Centers

Restaurants:
Hula Hut (I like the food pretty well)
Chuy's (don't think I saw that one mentioned - they own Hula Hut)
Matt's El Rancho
Torchy's Tacos
Rudy's BBQ (pretty good for the shorter wait & prices)
Hut's (Burgers)
Mighty Fine (Burgers - owned by Rudy's)
Crown & Anchor is supposed to have some of the best cheeseburgers, but I've never been.

Can't be much help on music venues, since I don't get out much for that. But I know Strange Brew (mentioned earlier) seems to be doing well.

Jason
Old 10-15-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
What is the deal with Guitar Rez? I've been there once in my 7 years since I permanently moved house, and that was only after checking inventory online and calling -- because I hear horror stories about the grumps that own it. Meanwhile I shop and buy at Fiddler's Green, Hill Country (now in town), South Austin and the Andrerson Ln GC, which is one of the best GCs I've shopped at -- where everyone encourages playing, chatting and dealing (guitars).

But these guys are losing business because practically everyone warns others away - what I'e been told in dif ways multiple times, unless you're ready to buy, don't shop there. Is it really that bad?
I've always had good interactions with the staff at Guitar Rez - I haven't bought a guitar there in many years but they still greet me like an old friend. I think it helps if you are friendly yourself: start conversations, tell them up-front you are just window shopping, ask questions. They will be quite helpful.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:13 PM

Thank you to all who kindly responded and gave me great ideas about Austin.
What a great city, larger and greener than I imagined. Amazing food at every restaurant or bar I visited, really kind women and others.
I visited The Salt Lick, after the "trailer" BBQ we tried ran out of food, a great place to visit and in a beautiful part of Texas.......(salt lick).....an abundance of different Bar BQ choices, great service and prices. Special mention to HoDaddy's on Congress St, across from the Continental Club.
The highlight, was visiting Hill Country Guitars, and having a tour of Collings Guitars set up by Kevin @ Hill Country. The tour (private) by Chas, at Collings was a true education in every sense of the senses. Visual, sound, smell and touching native woods all the way through their journey to exquisitely made guitars. Mr. Collings is definitely a visionary.
We had a great trip, and look forward to a return visit!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 PM

Cool - glad you had a good time! Austin is great. So great, an estimated 110 people move here every day. Y'know, to help with the traffic and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
... Special mention to HoDaddy's on Congress St, across from the Continental Club.
Quick note on this (in case anyone is searching for Austin stuff on the forum); I think you mean Hopdoddy. It's a high-end burger place, and it almost always has a line wrapped halfway around it.

Jason
Old 10-21-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Paul View Post
I think you mean Hopdoddy. It's a high-end burger place, and it almost always has a line wrapped halfway around it.
Dang. Doesn't anybody appreciate low-end burgers anymore? I'm thinking' Dirty Martin's Kum-Bak burgers on Guadalupe. One of my fondest recollections is going inside back in the days when it was NOT cool to go inside (early '70s) and watch as the the big fry cook, who'd worked there for years, took two balls of fresh meat out of his under-grill fridge, slapped them on the griddle, took his spatula (largest and heaviest I've ever seen) and WHACKED each one. Once. Perfect amoeba-shaped burger every time. And at the end of the floor show came the food: greasy double burger (the double was standard), greasy fries, greasy onion rings. The grease, I'm convinced, was the secret flavoring agent and had no doubt been left unchanged for years, if not generations.

But as I mentioned much earlier, I'm an old school Austin guy.

Dirk
Old 10-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Thank you to all who kindly responded and gave me great ideas about Austin.
What a great city, larger and greener than I imagined. Amazing food at every restaurant or bar I visited, really kind women and others.
I visited The Salt Lick, after the "trailer" BBQ we tried ran out of food, a great place to visit and in a beautiful part of Texas.......(salt lick).....an abundance of different Bar BQ choices, great service and prices. Special mention to HoDaddy's on Congress St, across from the Continental Club.
The highlight, was visiting Hill Country Guitars, and having a tour of Collings Guitars set up by Kevin @ Hill Country. The tour (private) by Chas, at Collings was a true education in every sense of the senses. Visual, sound, smell and touching native woods all the way through their journey to exquisitely made guitars. Mr. Collings is definitely a visionary.
We had a great trip, and look forward to a return visit!
Austin is indeed a great place, I'm still here but have to leave on Saturday. This was my 9th visit and I will be back next year.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 11-01-2014, 01:13 PM

I know you're gone, but for others reference I'd echo the James McMurtry recommendation. I'd also suggest catching Toni Price at Continental Club's Hippie Hour on Tuesday nights. They are the best acts you can find in Austin IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion