The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2014, 07:34 PM

Too short for what? It's the same length it was when I demoed it. It was great then and great now.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:01 PM

I was stupid before I joined AGF. I had not realized I was not supposed to switch back and forth for many years among different scale lengths, neck widths and such without complaint. Now I need to sell some guitars if I want to hang out with the cool kids.

I suppose you could simply find out for yourself rather than try to decipher the opinions on a forum ;-)
Old 10-07-2014, 08:53 PM

I guess you learned like I did. Play what's available and be happy about it.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty View Post
I was stupid before I joined AGF. I had not realized I was not supposed to switch back and forth for many years among different scale lengths, neck widths and such without complaint. Now I need to sell some guitars if I want to hang out with the cool kids.

I suppose you could simply find out for yourself rather than try to decipher the opinions on a forum ;-)
Me too. I cannot BELIEVE just how ignorant I was before joining guitar forums. Here I was willy nilly playing guitars with different scale lengths, fret sizes, nut widths etc. without realising that I wasn't supposed to ADAPT and make it work.

I was ACTUALLY supposed to loudly state my dissatisfaction to the world and find out via straw poll the spec that a majority of the guitar players were using and strictly adhere to THAT.
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:26 AM

Tonally I think the GS Mini would sound good with a regular scale. I always preferred Martin's OM over the OOO which I always felt was a bit lacking in presence over the OMs more purposeful tone.
I know the GS Mini is marketed as a 'travel guitar' but I wonder just how many actually ever leave their homes. I would be very interested in a GS Mini if Taylor ever decided to add 2" to the scale. As it stands it doesn't really work for me.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I would be very interested in a GS Mini if Taylor ever decided to add 2" to the scale.
Then get a GS Part of the "GS Mini" idea is reduced size, and scale.

I don't mind shorter scale. It's comfortable, easy to play. Sounds good. For electric guitars I like the snappy feel of longer scale, but I like the mini. It's nice.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:52 AM

As an older guy, I find the shorter scale very comfortable, as is the whole guitar.

As others have said, I don't have any trouble switching back and forth between my guitars, mandolin, banjo, and half-a-dozen different cigar-box instruments of different layouts.

And as well, when I first picked up a guitar back in the 70s.... I had no idea of items like nut-width and scale length.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFerret View Post
Me too. I cannot BELIEVE just how ignorant I was before joining guitar forums. Here I was willy nilly playing guitars with different scale lengths, fret sizes, nut widths etc. without realising that I wasn't supposed to ADAPT and make it work.

I was ACTUALLY supposed to loudly state my dissatisfaction to the world and find out via straw poll the spec that a majority of the guitar players were using and strictly adhere to THAT.
So, I am stupid for posting a question on this board? Are you serious? I hope not. What gives you the right to decide which of these thousands of posts are valid or not, or smart or stupid!?
Old 10-08-2014, 07:38 AM

Love the ample tone, but too cramped for these medium-sized hands...
My 2¢.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
So, I am stupid for posting a question on this board?
FWIW: No, you're not 'stupid.' There's no harm in seeking a consensus. Factor it in as part of your research. Good luck.

-Warren
My Website
Old 10-08-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
So, I am stupid for posting a question on this board? Are you serious? I hope not. What gives you the right to decide which of these thousands of posts are valid or not, or smart or stupid!?
No, not stupid at all -- you're used to something and asking for feedback on how others have found something different. I think they're just joking around, but I'm inclined to think that the underlying advice to trust your hands and gut first and foremost makes sense. I understand that things can seem very different in short doses, and that some things seem cool initially but get old quickly, but I guess I'd look at it this way: maybe some folks will think it's perfect and some will think it's way too small -- obviously there are people on this board who love this guitar and a few who really don't -- but the big test for any of us might be in the transition; that is, if you like it in 20 minute doses in the shop, playing bits of this and that, maybe you'll find switching back and forth even easier with time, rather than harder. I don't know that, but that's my suspicion. Maybe a couple more visits to see how it feels?
Old 10-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
People tend to get defensive and sometimes even break Rule #1 when one of their favorite guitars is questioned in any way, even legitimately. I don't get it, but I've seen it many times here. As you can see by the replies, the GS Mini is indeed not some universal guitar that everyone loves. Is that really any surprise? As I said, I own and enjoy one for the purpose it fulfills, but my main guitar will always be longer scale, wider nut, and wider string spacing.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:47 AM

I was going to buy a mini because I thought they looked cool and they are so highly regarded in this forum but when I tried a few out they just were not for me. Felt like a toy to me.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
I do not find the scale length too short. And I switch back and forth between my full size guitars and my GS minis. However, I think it's purely a personal thing. What feels good to one person may not to another.
Absolutely 100% correct. Go out, play them, and decide for yourself if you are happy with these aspects. If you have serious doubts, walk away, and buy something that suits your needs. If you have doubts, and still buy, chances are you'll never be completely happy, and end up selling it on anyway
Good luck
Ian
Old 10-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I bought a GSmini early on. I played several before I found one that "felt right." That "right" still didn't feel as good as my GA, but I was looking for a travel guitar, and I had heard good things about the Mini. Truth be told, the gig bag was what sold me on the guitar... well, I was about convinced while playing it, then the salesman brought out the gig bag. In decades of guitar playing, I never had a gig bag, but this one looked like a great solution.

I bought the Mini, hoping I would get used to the smaller size. I also bought the ES-Go, knowing that I would be playing out. For 5 months (boat cruising), the Mini was my only guitar. I went from considering it a substitute for a full size guitar when away from the house to being totally sold on the Mini.

Could it be your only guitar? Sure. Like others, until I started participating on these guitar forums, I didn't pay much attention to scale, nut widths, sound-woods, and whose name was on the headstock (with over 4 decades of playing - most of that time with one electric and one acoustic with a pickup). Discovering I like the sound and feel of Taylors changed my perspective.

I bought a RainSong Shorty last year from Ted at LA Guitar Sales (yes, I have gotten comfortable with buying guitars I haven't played or seen before)... I thought the Shorty would replace the Mini as my travel guitar. Another revelation for me: I really like the sound and feel of that carbon fiber guitar! (I guess I'm not just a "wood guitar" guy - I'm a guitar guy.) As much as I like the Shorty, I couldn't sell off the Mini... it is just a very enjoyable smaller guitar.

The Shorty and the Mini taught me another thing: a slightly smaller scale guitar (a GC vs a GA) is more comfortable for me. That led to my new "favorite" guitar, a 522ce.

It has been an interesting journey.

So, back to the original premise: no, I don't have any issue with the scale of the Mini. I do switch back and forth. I still play out with the Mini. Will it work for everyone? Not likely. Will it work for you? You won't know 'till you try it.

Good luck with the decisions,
Captain Jim
Old 10-08-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
As an older guy, I find the shorter scale very comfortable, as is the whole guitar.

As others have said, I don't have any trouble switching back and forth between my guitars, mandolin, banjo, and half-a-dozen different cigar-box instruments of different layouts.

And as well, when I first picked up a guitar back in the 70s.... I had no idea of items like nut-width and scale length.
This is a good point.
In 1972 when I bought my first Martin (a D-18) I had already been playing guitar for thirteen years, and had two other guitars during that period. I had no idea what the nut width and scale length were on those. They were just "guitars".

Then that first Martin was also "just" a guitar. Sure, a better one, but in those days Martin didn't even advertise what the nut width and scale length were! You just got what they gave you, and if it was a Dreadnought then that's just what it was.

It wasn't until about 2005 that I discovered that you could buy a Martin guitar with a 1-3/4" nut, which I did.

Nowadays, I just don't really care if my GS Mini has a shorter scale and a "narrow" neck. It is just what it is. I just play it.

Rod

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion