The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-06-2014, 11:48 AM

Default New Martins With Neck Angle Issues?

Hi everyone,

I was checking out some guitars at my local GC and noticed something odd:

A number of the new Martins they had on display showed signs of neck joint/angle issues. Most notably was a 000-15m that had a saddle that was really low, i'm talking roughly 3/64"-2/32" from the bridge. Whereas the saddle height on other new guitars (including other Martins) looked like it was around 1/8"+.

There was also a D15 and a couple MMV models that were similar, but not as bad as the 000. I know they have the diplay models out that undergo more wear than normal, but at the same time we're talking brand new $1200+ guitars that look like they will need neck resets pretty soon.

I was wondering if there was a QC issue for certain models or should I just consider this a weird coincidence. Has anyone else seen anything like this?
Old 10-06-2014, 12:54 PM

I bought a D18 in 2011 that needed a neck reset right out of the box. Really a disappointing guitar.

It went back to the dealer a couple of times and then got sold at a $700 loss.

It really put me off buying new Martins.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 10-06-2014, 01:10 PM

I haven't seen a Martin at GC that had anything near acceptable string height, and saddle remaining. Actually, I did play one of their GPCA models that had perfect string height and saddle to spare, but someone bought it while I left the store to get my wife at Target!!!!!

I try not to judge brands to harshly based on what I see at GC, but there are lots of complaints about Martin string height, even on the UMGF. They do have a warranty, and a factory specified string height. Dealers like LA Guitar sales have pics of their offerings, and Elderly has assured me that they would not sell me a Martin that didn't have the strings set to factory specs, so you might want to look to those dealers.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:28 PM

sbeirnes

"I bought a D18 in 2011 that needed a neck reset right out of the box. Really a disappointing guitar."

And people think I'm too vocal and a bore and called a liar when my
2003 new D-18GE needed a neck reset withing 30 days.

2011 Custom D-18SV (vs) needed a neck rest outiof the box.. Replacement built wrong.. Its replacement needed a neck reset..among other things.

And while this 2 year saga was going on.. I received another custom 00-17 from them that needed a neck reset and a new top and a new bridge.

And then there is the 2000 D-18s failure and the SPD 16 failure ...
Old 10-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

I had a 2011 D Mahogany with basically the same issue. It was right at the edge of a neck reset. The warranty repair guy said it was 1/32 too high to qualify for warranty work. (Seriously!?) I ended up trading it away not long after. My friend's 2011 had to have a neck reset in 2013.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:00 PM

Sounds like some of the neck fitting department staff needs some retraining.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeirnes View Post
I bought a D18 in 2011 that needed a neck reset right out of the box. Really a disappointing guitar.
Wow. If I hadn't seen it myself the other day I would find that really hard to believe.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbomumbo View Post
Sounds like some of the neck fitting department staff needs some retraining.
I'm unsure about this; I'm thinking that guitars may be leaving Penn with wood that isn't quite ready to go. The neck geometry then changes.

I'm not doubting the OP, though. My 2004 000 18 developed neck geometry issues quickly.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

the last 6 Martins i've owned from 2005 to now have all had excellent neck sets(one of the first things i check when i get any guitar-or before i buy).

never had to have one reset-course i do not own all of the above now either.

the last two Martins i purchased thru Sweetwater(0028VS and a 00 Jeff Tweedy), came with dead on perfect neck sets and excellent actions(nut slots, relief, saddle height). All low, all buzz free, all easy playing. All i did to both was adjust relief to suit my playing style.

i've been well please with Martin actions lately and what i've saw in shops(all small shops with maybe a dozen Martins at best).

my limited experience
d
Old 10-07-2014, 01:37 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Some of the OM18 Authentics had super high saddles, but AFAIK it's a coincidence.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:46 AM

The 000-42 I bought brand new online in 2009 gave me cause for concern with regard to its neck angle. I had warranty work done on it, but this resulted in a very low saddle - just a very low ridge coming out of the bridge. I was rather disappointed that a guitar that cost so much and was to be a 'for-life' guitar for me should have considerably less than an ideally angled neck.

I don't know how common this is, but it has certainly caused me to approach unseen Martins with caution.

Last edited by ewalling; 10-07-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
I'm unsure about this; I'm thinking that guitars may be leaving Penn with wood that isn't quite ready to go. The neck geometry then changes.

I'm not doubting the OP, though. My 2004 000 18 developed neck geometry issues quickly.
I really don't know. I really wanted to love my D18 as I didn't want to take my custom 27 year old HD35 everywhere.

I kept working with the D18, new nut, new saddle, back to the dealer twice etc.

What really sealed the deal was when I bought a used Taylor DN3 for $800 that just played rings around it. As I got a great deal on the Taylor, I was able to sell the D18 for $1300, which is less than I would have liked.

Martin needs to tighten up their QC. It seems like my experience was not an isolated incident.

Too bad really as the D18 sounded great.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 10-07-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post

Good seasoned wood is not as easy to get. I could see this being a contributing factor. Cause at the factory they pass QC. One reason I was happy that my last wood guitar was 13 years old.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-07-2014, 06:32 AM

My 2012 D-18 needed a neck re-set after only a few months. Got it done locally under warranty at no cost to me and now it's absolutely perfect.

I'll admit to being disappointed in having to get this work done so soon, and having to wait 9 weeks for it to be finished.

It hasn't put me off Martins, but has made me much more vigilant when shopping for used models with no warranty.

FWIW: The authorized factory tech who did the work was of the opinion that the wood they use these days while high quality is not as well seasoned as in the past and often changes after the guitar is produced altering the neck angle prematurely.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

My experiences of Martins and neck resets has strongly influenced my more recent choices. I love Martin's instruments but concerns about getting resets done in the UK make them a secondary consideration to the more reliable and adjustable bolt on neck offerings of the smaller makers.

Martins make great guitars but others make 'em better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion