The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
just can't leave it alone can you?
You know you've really been accepted into the fold and "joined the gang" when they start roasting you !

I live for that stuff !
Old 10-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustophonic View Post
^^^

Stirring the pot.
Uh, if he wanted to stir the pot, he's not doing a good job. I can think of about a thousand topics that would get people up in arms. The GS Mini scale length is not one of them.

I grow tired of people constantly assuming ulterior motives for people's threads/postings.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:23 PM

I'll be honest...I haven't read through either thread, but here's my take on the GS Mini or other small scale guitars.

For me, it more of a muscle memory thing. I don't own mini, but have played them several times. The first few chords or fretting I seem to overshoot the fret I'm aiming for. This is very temporary and then I'm off to the races. I don't have an issue with the short scale so much as the small neck and that's just because my fingers get crowded, but no more so than my current guitars and less than my mando. I think the majority of people can probably adapt. I have two guitars with 1 11/16" nuts and one with a 1 23/32" nut. It's noticable when I switch back and forth. I also have two banjos and a mandolin. Now, look at all the adults playing mandolins...you want to talk short scale! Heck, there are some pretty big dudes playing soprano ukes on YouTube.

In a nutshell, the GS Minis are fun, loud, full sounding, portable, etc, etc, etc guitars for the money. I'm not sure why I don't have one. Don't fear the short scale. Buy one and go forth...
Old 10-21-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Uh, if he wanted to stir the pot, he's not doing a good job. I can think of about a thousand topics that would get people up in arms. The GS Mini scale length is not one of them.

I grow tired of people constantly assuming ulterior motives for people's threads/postings.
He was poking fun at Ted for stirring the pot, not the OP.

The OP seems mildly impulsive in his constant posting of the same things, but we can all stand that, can't we? And maybe Ted is being just a little mildly boorish in poking fun at him, and we can stand that, too.

I think I would be embarrassed at a few of my early posts on here, not really up with the AGF vibe. American Eagle, you're okay!

It's all good.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 10-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness View Post
He was poking fun at Ted for stirring the pot, not the OP.

The OP seems mildly impulsive in his constant posting of the same things, but we can all stand that, can't we? And maybe Ted is being just a little mildly boorish in poking fun at him, and we can stand that, too.

I think I would be embarrassed at a few of my early posts on here, not really up with the AGF vibe. American Eagle, you're okay!

It's all good.
It is clear the OP doesn't appreciate it, so, no, it's not all good.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:50 PM

I only bought a GS Mini because of this forum.
I was so undecided over it.
Here in Australia, stores do not normally take back.

I first bought GS Mini back in 2012 (Mini-e Koa layered back).
Returned it 2 hrs after buying it so the store took it back.

I bought one again just 2 months back.
A Mini-e RW.
And to date, I've wondered why I was stupid enough to return the Koa one.

In retrospect I could have saved myself all the agony and wasted pockets of money buying and selling all my previous other guitars.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
It is clear the OP doesn't appreciate it, so, no, it's not all good.
Well I said it was mildly boorish ... I'll just bow out of this thread now....
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 10-21-2014, 07:06 PM

It seems kind of insignificant just based on other instruments, stringed, like violins and ukes and mandolins (12-15" full sized 4/4).

I've had a couple of 22.5 and 23.5 guitars, played mandolin, bazooki, and a few other oddball things for pit-band gigs, and I can't really see much difference between getting used to any of them fairly quickly.

It can be done anyway. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papol View Post
It seems kind of insignificant just based on other instruments, stringed, like violins and ukes and mandolins (12-15" full sized 4/4).

I've had a couple of 22.5 and 23.5 guitars, played mandolin, bazooki, and a few other oddball things for pit-band gigs, and I can't really see much difference between getting used to any of them fairly quickly.

It can be done anyway. Good luck.
I agree. I have "sausage fingers" and can adapt pretty quickly. We always say it's "technique" here... Maybe not getting used to shorter scale length is a question of technique?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Easy... I was not poking fun at the OP. I have offered advice/suggestions/input on many of his threads. I was ribbing Ted a little. it seems as though you assumed I had an ulterior motive.

Might I suggest that some lighten up and "chill out" a little...I'll bow out now, as well.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustophonic View Post
Easy... I was not poking fun at the OP. I have offered advice/suggestions/input on many of his threads. I was ribbing Ted a little. it seems as though you assumed I had an ulterior motive.

Might I suggest that some lighten up and "chill out" a little...I'll bow out now, as well.
I never said anything about "poking fun." When you typed "^^^stirring the pot," it sounded like you were responding to Ted's observations of the two similar threads by inferring that the OP was trying stirring the pot. That's not assuming an ulterior motive, but simply responding to what you wrote. Regardless, other people have clearly accused him of that here and in his other threads and otherwise given him a hard time (again, not just in this thread). Thankfully, many others have not done so. The people that need to "chill out" are the ones who feel the need to judge the OP for the questions he chooses to ask or how he asks them. This is an open forum for all things guitar-related, and I think people need to be a LOT more sensitive to people who are not veteran guitar players nor have as much knowledge about guitars as others.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
So, I am stupid for posting a question on this board? Are you serious? I hope not. What gives you the right to decide which of these thousands of posts are valid or not, or smart or stupid!?
LOL. Relax a little and don't get your panties in a wad.

I never called you 'stupid'. No idea where you got that? My post was in response to Malty's, and I was agreeing with him using self deprecating humour. Never said your post was invalid either.

To get the spirit of my post - check out the thread I posted on here earlier today, with Tommy Emmanuel jamming with a fan.

When an appreciating fan asked TE to jam with him, Tommy turned to another fan standing close by and asked him "Do you mind if I play your guitar?" and when the second fan agreed, Tommy just grabbed the guitar and played a wonderful duo with the first fan.

At no stage did Tommy pause and wonder what the nut width, the scale length, the blackness of the ebony or the wood or internal construction. He just grabbed an unfamiliar guitar and still made it sing like an angel.

Thread is here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=361473

Perhaps there is a lesson in there for all of us?
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFerret View Post
LOL. Relax a little and don't get your panties in a wad.

I never called you 'stupid'. No idea where you got that? My post was in response to Malty's, and I was agreeing with him using self deprecating humour. Never said your post was invalid either.
Well, Malty's post was quite condescending towards the OP in a sarcastic way, so it's no wonder that yours and his were both taken that way. The whole tone of everything was "You are being ridiculous. Just play your guitar." Where did he get "stupid" from? Malty used the actual word, and you said "ignorant," both clearly in reference to the OP's concerns.

I'll never understand why people here have to be so snarky about everything. I'm growing quite tired of people making snide remarks (whether outright or cloaked in sarcasm), and then when they get a negative reaction, all of a sudden we're supposed to believe it was a big friendly joke and everyone needs to lighten up

There are plenty of polite and educational ways to communicate any genuine concern you may have that the OP has the wrong mindset. If the point is education, then sarcasm like that has no place. Because you (and Malty) DO have a good point, but the manner in which it was communicated all but obliterates it, especially with respect to the one whom you wish to communicate the point to (the OP).
Old 10-21-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Well, Malty's post was quite condescending towards the OP in a sarcastic way, so it's no wonder that yours and his were both taken that way. The whole tone of everything was "You are being ridiculous. Just play your guitar." Where did he get "stupid" from? Malty used the actual word, and you said "ignorant," both clearly in reference to the OP's concerns.

I'll never understand why people here have to be so snarky about everything. I'm growing quite tired of people making snide remarks (whether outright or cloaked in sarcasm), and then when they get a negative reaction, all of a sudden we're supposed to believe it was a big friendly joke and everyone needs to lighten up

There are plenty of polite and educational ways to communicate any genuine concern you may have that the OP has the wrong mindset. If the point is education, then sarcasm like that has no place. Because you (and Malty) DO have a good point, but the manner in which it was communicated all but obliterates it, especially with respect to the one whom you wish to communicate the point to (the OP).
Point taken. I'll try and contain the sarcasm in my future postings on here.

Hope the OP got the answer he was looking for in both his threads about this matter.
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:37 PM

Default No problem

I switch between a Holden GS Mini and two 24.9" scale guitars, a 00-17 and 00-28H (Martins)and so far haven't noticed a big deal. I sure used to on a D-28H I have sold lo these many moons ago. I've got small hands, tho. I really like the Holden. Never knew Taylors much until now, but I am impressed I must say. Fooling around with it and going on-line I found a good source for instruction, ironically, a guy names Martin Taylor or Taylor Martin, I forget which.
Anyway, I ordered my GS Mini on 12-17, about three weeks and three days ago, and it turned out to be one of the last ones made. Glad I did...it's a great little axe.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion