The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2014, 03:00 PM

Default Storing your guitar

My apologies if this topic has already been posted.

I recently took an older Martin D28 guitar to a luthier for some repairs. The guitar had been stored (climate controlled) in the original case for several years. One of the first things the luthier told me was that the guitar really needed to be played since it had been in storage for a long time. He also recommended keeping the guitar in the case when not being played.

But, I've also had some people comment that keeping a guitar in a case for a long time could cause problems if the humidity levels in the case are not consistent.

So, what do you think? Should the guitar be stored in a case or kept out of the case in a climate controlled room?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:12 PM

Either, the more important point is proper humidification, and how critical that is varies in different part of the country/world.

You can humidify in a case, you can humidify in a room. I have a room full of Martins on hangers and floor stands, and two whole house humidifiers (overkill), I never use cases except for gigs and travel, but my house holds 45-50% humidification.

Pick what works best for you, there is more than one way to humidify....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-21-2014, 03:14 PM

If you're actually storing it - as in not leaving it out to play periodically - I'd definitely keep it in it's case to avoid incidental damage. Since it's a climate controlled environment, the guitar will stabilize inside the case at whatever the climate is anyway, only slower - which is always better. I would also suggest loosening the strings 1/2 step, maybe a whole step even, to lessen the impact of tension over time.

I'm sure there will be dissenting opinions on this, but it has worked for me in my non-climate-controlled environment. YMMV, etc.

I love acoustic guitars !
Old 10-21-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcgrad View Post

I recently took an older Martin D28 guitar to a luthier for some repairs. The guitar had been stored (climate controlled) in the original case for several years. One of the first things the luthier told me was that the guitar really needed to be played since it had been in storage for a long time. He also recommended keeping the guitar in the case when not being played.

But, I've also had some people comment that keeping a guitar in a case for a long time could cause problems if the humidity levels in the case are not consistent.

So, what do you think? Should the guitar be stored in a case or kept out of the case in a climate controlled room?

There are differing opinions on the bolded statement, some say a guitar needs to be played, others think it makes no difference.
et al
Old 10-21-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkybub View Post
I would also suggest loosening the strings 1/2 step, maybe a whole step even, to lessen the impact of tension over time.
Guitars were designed to be under a string load. Whether it is being played or not is irrelevant.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:31 PM

For starters, why are you (or someone else) not playing the guitar? Secondly, case storage is far more stable than hanging about an ever-changing environment. Strings are meant to be under tension. Oh and play the guitar. It should be properly maintained continuously whether in, or outside of, a case. If you have a stable, safe, climate-controlled room then out of the case for a while can be okay. But again, PLAY THE GUITAR.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 PM

When humidity levels are fluctuating, it is important to KEEP YOUR GUITAR IN YOUR CASE, I can't believe someone gave you contrary advice. THE LEAST YOU CAN DO is keep your guitar cased to protect from humidity fluctuations. I am mostly talking about DRY conditions, if its overly humid, then I guess mold could start to grow if you had restricted air flow,

H

What region are you at ?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:16 PM

For a long time, I didn't play guitar at all. I had lost interest but I kept my guitars. I just recently became interested in playing again.

Most recently, I've been playing a couple of Taylor guitars. But, I've also had my eye on a Martin D18.

The D28 is about 25 years old, but has been well taken care of. The luthier suggested that in another 20 years, the guitar could be very valuable. But, it's not a guitar I would use for jam sessions or playing in a band.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_R...ew?usp=sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
For starters, why are you (or someone else) not playing the guitar? Secondly, case storage is far more stable than hanging about an ever-changing environment. Strings are meant to be under tension. Oh and play the guitar. It should be properly maintained continuously whether in, or outside of, a case. If you have a stable, safe, climate-controlled room then out of the case for a while can be okay. But again, PLAY THE GUITAR.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:17 PM

I'm in the Appalachian mountains not far from the VA/TN/KY borders

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post

What region are you at ?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I'm in the Appalachian mountains not far from the VA/TN/KY borders
Unless you are living in rain forest swamp lands of Lousiana or Miami, I don't think you need to worry about keeping the guitar cased for long periods of time causing harm. The area you live in MIGHT get humid, but not that humid it would cause mold to grow in a guitar case that's been close for a long time. Heck, take out the guitar at least once a month, to play

H
Old 10-22-2014, 01:47 AM

Cool Guitar storage

I store about half of my guitars in their cases and the remainder are either in the rack or on stands. The RH in the room is around 29%, but I'm not worried, as tomorrow it will be above 30%. Unless you're located in an extremely hot & dry area, or an area with extremely high humidity, you shouldn't have to worry about damaging your guitars.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 10-22-2014, 01:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
When humidity levels are fluctuating, it is important to KEEP YOUR GUITAR IN YOUR CASE, I can't believe someone gave you contrary advice. THE LEAST YOU CAN DO is keep your guitar cased to protect from humidity fluctuations. I am mostly talking about DRY conditions, if its overly humid, then I guess mold could start to grow if you had restricted air flow,

H

What region are you at ?
Agreed, how this is even debated is perplexing. As far as overly humid goes, there's really no escaping that without dehydration in the room.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:20 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=cvcgrad;4187796]My apologies if this topic has already been posted.

I used to patronise a luthier who had a room full of pre-war guitars. Once he permitted me to play a prewar D28 - it was in remarkably good condition - the sort of thing that would fetch very high rices. It had been in its case for many years unplayed - dead as a donut. I've seen a 70s D45 bought as a gift that was never played - wet cardboard.

Yes they really need to be played.

I keep my guitars in cases - just in case but also because they mostly get played out , not in.

Your luthier is telling you wise things.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Should the guitar be stored in a case or kept out of the case in a climate controlled room?
Ideally, it should be stored in a case in a climate controlled room. The case prevents mechanical damage and UV damage while the room climate maintains humidity. The "case" could be a glass enclosure, or, in some situations, a designated room.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:

I could write a booklet on this, and I'm sure someone somewhere has.

Ideally, I'd detune a whole step and keep it in the case in a properly and consistently heated and humidified location. Humidity seems more difficult to control than temperature. As for guitars needing to be played, that doesn't seem to have any bearing on anything unless what he meant by that, is that pulling it out once in a while gives you the chance to monitor it. Otherwise that would mean you can't store a guitar for long periods.

Just my $0.05

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion