The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2014, 12:50 PM

I have been a big fan of Taylor guitars for 15 years. I don't mind the look of the Taylor guitar stands, but have not bought one. Hercules for me, please. Most of the time though, when my guitar is not in my hands it is nestled safely in its protective cocoon called a case.

That said, over the past few months I've begun leaving my Cotten 612c out on a stand by my computer at home. Hercules, not Taylor.

cotten
Old 10-21-2014, 12:51 PM

The Martin stand sounds better.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:05 PM

I have one of the Taylor stands and one similar to the Hercules. I like the Taylor stand best. It looks nice and the guitar sits solidly in the supports. The rubber pads do not react to nitrocellulose lacquer and keep the guitar from slipping or moving in the stand. I don't see how one could tip or knock over a guitar in one of these stands. The bottom of my guitar has suffered no damage, dings or scratches from the stand itself and my Martins prefer it to any other. It's a very good, solid stand. .......Mike

Last edited by 00-28; 10-21-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
I have one of the Taylor stands and one similar to the Hercules. I like the Taylor stand best. It looks nice and the guitar sits solidly in the supports. The rubber pads do not react to nitrocellulose lacquer and keep the guitar from slipping or moving in the stand. I don't see how one could tip or knock over a guitar in one of these stands. The bottom of my guitar has suffered no damage, dings or scratches from the stand itself and my Martins prefer it to any other. It's a very good, solid stand. .......Mike

I think these are really nice looking stands and the ones I've used are quite functional. I looked at the Hercules and my wife wouldn't want one of those sitting around the living room.

I put my guitar away in the case when I'm done so I don't need the most secure stand. Right now I just lean it against the couch so the Taylor would be a big step up in stability, plus my wife would let me keep it out in the open.

I think 50 bucks is a good price.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Hilarious.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Only the hide glue one's after a Tonerite treatment. ...........Mike
Old 10-21-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
Only the hide glue one's after a Tonerite treatment. ...........Mike
I almost bought one, but it had runout!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:29 PM

A basic wooden guitar stand. The Taylor embellishment doesn't help it any. I wouldn't use it as there is little-to-no lower bout protection from the stand.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
A basic wooden guitar stand. The Taylor embellishment doesn't help it any. I wouldn't use it as there is little-to-no lower bout protection from the stand.
What lower bought protection are you refering to? I am not aware of a stand that protects the lower bought. I guess you could put up some banner tape, that might help. "Police Line, Do Not Cross"

...............Mike
Old 10-22-2014, 07:11 AM

Not wild about the looks, but to each his or her own. Same for the part of the looks that features the huge Taylor sign (and I love my gs mini and am not in the least anti-Taylor, really, really, go Bob), but again, to each . . . I don't know, they make some truly lovely stuff but I hope it's not out of line for me to say that this reminds me a little too much of the single-bracket shelf I made in junior high shop.

No experience with the stand, so I cannot comment on stability.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:58 AM

I have SEVEN of em! :-)
Old 10-23-2014, 08:48 PM

No question that this is NOT the same as the Taylor stand, but it was the only thing remotely close I have at home. I will find a Taylor or similar style stand and do measurements as soon as I can.

BUT, I did say I'd ordered a trigger scale just to be able to measure the pressure it takes to tip a guitar in a Hercules yoke stand compared to the Taylor.

The scale arrived today and measures in 2 oz increments up to 8 lbs.

Didn't need to get even close to the high end...

Pulling from the front, it takes about 8 oz pressure to tip the guitar forward out of the cradle stand. It takes about 19 oz to tip the guitar forward in the Hercules yoke stand.

Pulling directly either from the left or right, again it only takes about 10 oz to tip the guitar from the cradle stand. It takes about 22 oz to tip from the side on the Herc yoke stand.

Pulling from the back, it takes a whopping 2+ pounds (34 oz) to tip the guitar back in the Herc yoke stand, but only 10 oz on the cradle.

I look forward to getting a Taylor stand to do measurements with. I expect it to be more stable than the cradle stand I have, but I don't expect the measurements to be much closer to the yoke stand.

This is what I used:

So it is less stable than the Taylor, I suspect:

But neither will be nearly as stable as this:

Old 10-23-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
No question that this is NOT the same as the Taylor stand, but it was the only thing remotely close I have at home. I will find a Taylor or similar style stand and do measurements as soon as I can.

BUT, I did say I'd ordered a trigger scale just to be able to measure the pressure it takes to tip a guitar in a Hercules yoke stand compared to the Taylor.

The scale arrived today and measures in 2 oz increments up to 8 lbs.

Didn't need to get even close to the high end...

Pulling from the front, it takes about 8 oz pressure to tip the guitar forward out of the cradle stand. It takes about 19 oz to tip the guitar forward in the Hercules yoke stand.

Pulling directly either from the left or right, again it only takes about 10 oz to tip the guitar from the cradle stand. It takes about 22 oz to tip from the side on the Herc yoke stand.

Pulling from the back, it takes a whopping 2+ pounds (34 oz) to tip the guitar back in the Herc yoke stand, but only 10 oz on the cradle.

I look forward to getting a Taylor stand to do measurements with. I expect it to be more stable than the cradle stand I have, but I don't expect the measurements to be much closer to the yoke stand.

This is what I used:

So it is less stable than the Taylor, I suspect:

But neither will be nearly as stable as this:

But that Hercules is butt ugly. I think I would rather have my guitar tip over.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I think I would rather have my guitar tip over.
Be careful what you wish for...

The ones I use in the house are better looking. The yellow/black ones are the stage stands. I have three of these in the house:

I'm just trying to give people some facts to base decisions on.

You've had plenty of input on the appearance of the Taylor stand, and will get more. I won't argue. It is a pretty piece of wood work.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:47 PM

I have several floor lamps around the house. Funny how they have never been tipped over. I guess the idea is to not crash into them or place them in the middle of the room. Where can I get one of those scales, I'll see how many pounds of force it takes to tip one over .......Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion