The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-12-2018, 03:50 PM

Default Mic-to-PA basics

I think this is the best subforum for this question, even though it's not about recording.

I play at home, and I like to amplify my acoustics for a room-filling sound. I have a K&K Trinity pickup system on my OM, and that sounds good through the K&K preamp/mixer, out to a Fishman Loudbox Mini. The Trinity is the popular Pure Mini, plus an internal mic to capture some high end and "air".

Now I have a D18 as well. I don't really want to add a K&K there, too. For a very natural sound, I'm leaning to playing through a decent condenser mic, or two. But that's where I get stuck.

How do I listen to that output, live? I may want the ability to record, but it's not a priority. I had thought to simply plug the mic's XLR into the Loudbox, but the Mini (unlike it's larger brethren) doesn't provide phantom power.

Before I twist myself up further.... I need some basic guidance. The givens are a condenser mic, and a guitar. I want to hear myself live, without breaking the bank. What are the bits I need to hook up?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:31 PM

You can buy a cheap phantom power unit for peanuts these days - won’t degrade the signal going into your Loudbox.
Martin J40
Old 02-12-2018, 06:48 PM

I believe that not only do you need phantom power to the mic, but you also need a mic preamp to bring the mic's output up to line level -that is unless your amp includes a mic pre.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I believe that not only do you need phantom power to the mic, but you also need a mic preamp to bring the mic's output up to line level -that is unless your amp includes a mic pre.
If I go with a very simple solution, with just a PP unit, no preamp/mixer, it seems I could plug it into the Loudbox's MIC input (XLR).

I've been researching since the first response here (thank you), and I sure like the price of the Behringer Xenyx 802. Two mic inputs with preamps, and I'm guessing I could then output to the Loudbox's AUX IN.

I'm leaning that way, because for $60 I get phantom power, preamp, and the ability to expand to two mics (and a couple of 1/4" inputs as well).

Any reason to stay away from the Xenyx?
Old 02-12-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosie View Post
If I go with a very simple solution, with just a PP unit, no preamp/mixer, it seems I could plug it into the Loudbox's MIC input (XLR).

I've been researching since the first response here (thank you), and I sure like the price of the Behringer Xenyx 802. Two mic inputs with preamps, and I'm guessing I could then output to the Loudbox's AUX IN.

I'm leaning that way, because for $60 I get phantom power, preamp, and the ability to expand to two mics (and a couple of 1/4" inputs as well).

Any reason to stay away from the Xenyx?
At that price and for what you'll be using it for I think it's a good choice.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
At that price and for what you'll be using it for I think it's a good choice.
Thanks!

Ordered. Actually for $20 more, I got the USB version, in case I ever want to record straight to disk.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:13 AM

Phantom power is always a good thing if you want to use a condenser mic, but don't forget that there are several very capable condensers that can be used by snapping a 9 volt battery in them. The AKG C-1000 and Rode NT3 mics are prime examples.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD