The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-12-2018, 10:28 AM

Default Fishman Loudbox Mini?

For some time, the Loudbox Mini was well regarded and often suggested as a good amp for an acoustic playing amateur. Is that still the case, or are there better options now? I play fingerstyle only. Have an electric that I play very rarely but, who knows, that might change some day.
Thanks
Old 03-12-2018, 10:51 AM

Default Mini

It's a great little amp and well regarded. I have one and even though it's only occasional use, I like it. Simple, versatile and LIGHT.

There are others out there but this seems to get the thumbs up.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 03-12-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
For some time, the Loudbox Mini was well regarded and often suggested as a good amp for an acoustic playing amateur.
Absolutely. I suggest determining your intended use and needs, then assessing options. Unless you need something the Mini doesn't provide, the Mini is an excellent option. For a little over $300, how do you beat it?

Even if you outgrow it, you can always use it as a stage monitor, home amp, extremely portable amp for open mics, and so on.

Primary weakness, in my view, is the tolex / vinyl covering. So the $100 padded case is nearly a requirement to keep it from getting beat up in transport.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:55 AM

I think its a compromise. Light and portable, good for small farmer's market style gigs. But it lacks low end, and the cheap brown tolex gets shredded in a hurry with frequent use.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 03-12-2018, 10:55 AM

It's a solid little amp. I don't like using acoustic amps but it's handy for small coffeehouses and venues where there isn't a PA or decent monitoring. I've never had to dime it but I usually keep it around 1-2 o'clock and use the gain to manage the output of my guitar and my vocal mic and have sufficient power. As a whole, it works nice in a small setting, which is really what an acoustic amp is good for.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 03-12-2018, 11:23 AM

LOVE my Mini!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:39 AM

Default Fishman Loudbox mini

I love mine. It does everything I need it to do. As far as the scuffs and scratches, maybe one should not abuse their gear and be more careful....

BahPa

2015 Taylor GS-Mini Hog
2002 Martin 000-18 Sunburst
2005 Martin 000-28
2011 Martin 0-12VS
1972 Ovation 12 string
2015 Fender P-Bass Sunburst
2008 Fender Tele Thinline
2011 Fender Tele Sunburst
1998 Washburn BT-9
Old 03-12-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
It's a solid little amp. I don't like using acoustic amps but it's handy for small coffeehouses and venues where there isn't a PA or decent monitoring. I've never had to dime it but I usually keep it around 1-2 o'clock and use the gain to manage the output of my guitar and my vocal mic and have sufficient power. As a whole, it works nice in a small setting, which is really what an acoustic amp is good for.
If you use it for what is designed for, it has enough of everything... that would be rooms of around 25 or 30.
If I need more I'm going into a powered speaker with or without a mixer and use the Mini as a monitor. Perfect.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-12-2018, 12:21 PM

Thumbs up

As has been stated....good little box, dependable, does what it's made to do. Two downsides...there is no headphone plug, and the *tolex* cover shreds over time.. One new wrinkle- the new models have battery power option!!!!!
Old 03-12-2018, 12:49 PM

Default Good value

I use mine for both acoustic (lapel mike clipped to archtop tailpiece) and my ES175. loud enough for the 18 piece big band.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:55 PM

Yes it's a lightweight and very dependable amp. It's perfect for my needs. I don't gig and just play in my guitar room and use it when I want to add some Reverb/Chorus.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
For some time, the Loudbox Mini was well regarded and often suggested as a good amp for an acoustic playing amateur. Is that still the case, or are there better options now? I play fingerstyle only. Have an electric that I play very rarely but, who knows, that might change some day.
Thanks
The Loudbox line is solid.

They're not the absolute best sound quality you can get, but they're a really great combination of good sound, high portability, and low price.

You're going to pay a lot more for a modest sound improvement.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
They're not the absolute best sound quality you can get, but they're a really great combination of good sound, high portability, and low price.

You're going to pay a lot more for a modest sound improvement.
This ^^^^ +2

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-19-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:33 PM

Has yet to fail me. I use it alone (vocal & guitar) for smaller or quieter groups and as a guitar amp with a four piece band. Last weekend I used it as a mixer and monitor with a larger system in a bigger room. Best usefulness for the money I’ve experienced. I gave up worrying about the cover - it’s very fragile and obviously an error on Fishman’s part, but it doesn’t make any difference in the sound or flexibility of the amp.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:18 PM

I have one, I use it frequently at home, very occasionally performing, and my daughter loves singing through it with a mic using the reverb. I do use my electric with it too, but I'm very much a clean signal kind of guy. I performed with a band for a little while, and although I still liked the sound it really didn't have enough oomph for a band setting.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification